News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schinkel Form EKs

Here are two images of the edges of the cross. The top part of the image shows the end of one arm of the cross with absolutely no trace of a seam/join (my original scans are much higher resolution than these posted, and still show no trace). The lower part shows a similar view of one of the other arms and this one looks to have a seam on the left hand side fading out towards the centre. This is one of the sections that David refered to earlier.

Does anyone know the production methods of the known 1914 one-piece EK2's? were they cast or die-stamped?

Regards - Danny

• Replies 170
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 months later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 2 weeks later...
    Guest Rick Research

Brought before me today as Lord of The Epsonizer by friend who obtained them all from the same WW2 G.I. Only the 1914 EK1 is mine, for size comparison!

Um, you guys seem to like this kind a really really lot, huh? My first reaction on opening its case was that somebody had stuck a 1914 in a 1939 case. I've never had one of these slender versions in my paws before:

No maker mark on my friend's 1939 Schinkel.

Guest Rick Research

Screwback is marked L/13

Because of the patina and curvature, I couldn't get a clear scan of the maker logo on the bottom arm, but to the eyes it's clear.

Guest Rick Research

And for variety, a 1 piece (?) zink (?) EK1:

No maker mark that I could espy in the patina:

The veteran just loved 1939 EK1s and seems to have made a specialty of collecting different types. He's the same guy who brought back the embroidered version seen previously at:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=2651...;hl=embroidered

and all been in his attic since he came home in 1946.

• 1 month later...
    • 1 month later...

I?m cruising the web for interestring items and I have foubd this X on swedish tradera.

A EK II Schinkel shaped cross i WWI type isue bag with no maker mark but claimed to be identified as a Deumer cross. It?s non magnetic. The price is 2 500 SEK (? 215, ? 263). Is something to think of or just an other piece of metal?

Thomas

You kan se the add on this link Tradera.com EKII Schinkel and ihave copied down pictures of the cross here

I68601366_1.jpg

68601366_2.jpg

I?m cruising the web for interestring items and I have foubd this X on swedish tradera.

A EK II Schinkel shaped cross i WWI type isue bag with no maker mark but claimed to be identified as a Deumer cross. It?s non magnetic. The price is 2 500 SEK (? 215, ? 263). Is something to think of or just an other piece of metal?

Thomas :speechless:

You kan se the add on this link Tradera.com EKII Schinkel and ihave copied down pictures of the cross here

I68601366_1.jpg

68601366_2.jpg

Closer pictures would help. However from what I see, if it's in it's original package I would not see any problems, details seem crisp, date well defined and the ribbon looks to be of the correct weave quality and award length. I also notice that the suspension ring is distorted out of shape, this is similar to numerous EKII's I have had in my collection, which were verified as originals. I actually thought that the ring had been damaged, but it seems a particular thing with german Awards, don't know why

Not a total expert, but from my experience I would have no problem with this. Good find.

regards

Alex

I wait more professional comments

edit, price seems slightly excessive for an EKII IMHO

Edited by Alex K

• 2 weeks later...

I68601366_1.jpg

68601366_2.jpg

HI! Good & perfects Schinkel!! I have ,too.Details is nice,too!!

I68601366_1.jpg

68601366_2.jpg

HI! Good & perfects Schinkel!! I have ,too.Details is nice,too!!

• 3 weeks later...

Although the cross looks to be an original, the background (also found on other items listed by the seller) tells me that it may come from Carsten Staegemeir (aka:"Der Afrikaheld"). If this be the case, be very careful and ask for some detailed shots of obverse/reverse before bidding.

Although the cross looks to be an original, the background (also found on other items listed by the seller) tells me that it may come from Carsten Staegemeir (aka:"Der Afrikaheld"). If this be the case, be very careful and ask for some detailed shots of obverse/reverse before bidding.

I turned it down. For that kind of money I want to be sure, or so sure you can be. Thank?s for all advices

• 2 weeks later...

Good observation John,

I would think the cross is original by appearance. The packet may be another matter. You should be able to find another non-magnetic Deumer from $275.00 - $300.00, and with a perfect ribbon ring. They aren't that hard to find, just takes time.

Robert