News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Bit of a puzzler.  The fuzziness of the image doesn't help.  The most likely would seem to be the Flotten-Kriegsabzeichen (High Seas Fleet insignia), but it lacks the eagle/swastika on top, so that's out.  Through a process of elimination, the only thing left is the Bandenkampfabzeichen (Partisan insignia), which seems extremely unlikely for a naval officer of this seniority.  I'm looking forward to input from one of our experts to set me straight. 

H

It's a Naval Wound Badge, IMO.

It was one of the pieces auctioned off earlier in 2018 with one of his uniforms and some of his decorations.

BTW, the picture above has been changed from the original that also shows his Party Badge. See below for higher resolution original.

Bild 134-B2639.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 7.48.52 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-22 at 7.29.12 AM.png

Here's one more of him showing the same badge.

Bild 134-B2625.jpg

1 hour ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Great! I can see that is the naval wound badge in gold? Is it confirmed his?

Thanks

It came as a grouping with the medals corresponding to those won by Looff, ribbon bar, belt buckle and a dress jacket tagged to him. The wound badge was of the post war variety.

It is impossible to confirm with any degree of certainty any unnamed medals as belonging to any particular individual. In that respect, this one is no different- it has been described as that which belonged to him but that's where the facts end.

Dear P.F.

Yes, it looks like a device for 50 years, which he didn' t have, nor do I think the medalbar belonged to him. Although the combination is the same as the one on the picture, there is a clear difference in ribbonfolds and space between the medals. I highly doubt it's his bar.

Kind regards, Laurentius

1 hour ago, laurentius said:

Dear P.F.

Yes, it looks like a device for 50 years, which he didn' t have, nor do I think the medalbar belonged to him. Although the combination is the same as the one on the picture, there is a clear difference in ribbonfolds and space between the medals. I highly doubt it's his bar.

Kind regards, Laurentius

I have similar suspicions. This bar and the one in the photo are definitely two different medal bars.

This is supposedly Looff's medal bar.

Vizeadmiral Max Looff 2.jpg

Dear P.F.

Although this medalbar comes much closer, I'm still suspicious. Just look at the campaignspanges on the picture in the first post and the campaignspanges in the picture you supplied, there is clearly a difference. In the photograph they are layered like bricks, and in the picture they are just atop eachother. The bar might nonetheless still be original, since I don't think it's a unique combination.

Kind regards, Laurentius

On ‎24‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 01:33, laurentius said:

Just look at the campaignspanges on the picture in the first post and the campaignspanges in the picture you supplied, there is clearly a difference. In the photograph they are layered like bricks, and in the picture they are just atop each other.

I've been carefully looking at the ribbon wrappings, the medal mounting and overlapping.  I think the photo in post 17 and the same medal bar in post 22 are same, however Laurentius is correct about the campaign spanges.  They have been moved. 

The only explanation I can think of is that they were realigned sometime after the photo was taken.  Either by the Looff, his tailor or more likely by a collector who thought they were not symmetrical over the China medal.    :speechless: