News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Medal for Distinguished Service

Hi everyone,

this came in today. A 1st class of the Soviet Medal for Distinguished Service. Now i am looking for a 2nd class. Came from Weitze, actually one of the few good priced items on his site.

*The Medal for Distinguished Service was institutet on the 28. Oktober 1974. It was awarded to serviceman for achievements in training, political activities and courage and bravery while in service. It was worn on the right breast below orders of the USSR.

30.000 1st classes were awarded and about 120.000 2nd classes. The 1st class is made or gold-plated aluminium alloy and clear plastic. The 2nd class is made of silver-plated aluminium and clear plastic. The diameter of the Medal is 38 mm. The five symbols on the star represent:

Anchor-Navy

Star with wreath-Army

Propellor with wings-Air Force

Tank-Tank troups

Crossed Cannons-Artillery troups

The makermark-symbol on the back stands for the cyrillic letters for MMD, which is the abbreviation for Moskovskii Monetny Dvor (Moskow Mint)

Enjoy

*Paul McDaniel, "The Comprehensive Guide to Soviet Orders and Medals"

Edited by Gerd

The ribbon bar device is on backwards, note how flat it is on the 'front' and on the reverse there's a pointy bit going down to the ring.

Here's my two, looks like the same maker/mint mark too, on mine

Kr

Marcus

Guest Rick Research

Good spot on the reversed suspension, Marcus! That must have been a "Monday" piece at the factory! laugh.gifblush.gif

I have my moments don't I laugh.gif Not that they add up to much. :speechless-smiley-004:

Gerd broth, I'd seriously leave her alone, she's been like that for 20 odd 30 odd years or how ever old these are, if you can do it ...yeah why not. But, every time I've tried to rectify something I always cock it up ohmy.gif :excl: laugh.gif

How much did you get it from him for ?

I have my moments don't I laugh.gif Not that they add up to much. :speechless-smiley-004:

Gerd broth, I'd seriously leave her alone, she's been like that for 20 odd 30 odd years or how ever old these are, if you can do it ...yeah why not. But, every time I've tried to rectify something I always cock it up ohmy.gif  :excl:  laugh.gif

How much did you get it from him for ?

Hi Marcus,

i got it for 65 Euros. They go for more than 125 Dollars on other dealers sites nowadays. You are maybe right, i should leave it alone, but its too late blush.gif But its easy to switch it again. They are very well done and heavy aren?t they? I like it a lot. Have to get the second class soon.

• 3 months later...

To my experiemnce, these are really more uncommon than they perhaps ought to be, and the certificates are near to rare.

Do I read the market right?

Ed

Well, i don?t collect Soviet Orders and Medals very long, but i look at the market since a year or so and there were 1 Document for the first class and 2 or 3 for the second class, which i have seen.

I am really curious to hear the opinion of a long-time Soviet Collector. Rick maybe?

Gerd

Hi Marcus,

i got it for 65 Euros. They go for more than 125 Dollars on other dealers sites nowadays. You are maybe right, i should leave it alone, but its too late  blush.gif  But its easy to switch it again. They are very well done and heavy aren?t they? I like it a lot. Have to get the second class soon.

They go for that much now unsure.gif I remember paying 35 dollars for both at a guns show about 12 years ago!!!

Guest Rick Research

I hate to tell you how little I paid for both classes of mine back ten years ago when things fell apart.

I haven't run out of fingers on one hand for the number of completed documents I have seen for these since.

speechless1.gif

I paid 100 US Dollars last year for medal and doc....thought I was getting ripped off at the time but took the plunge...guess I did OK.

The medals were not to hard to find some time ago (and cheap) but now few and far between.

I think a lot more were produced than awarded and that is why docs are so hard to find.

Chris

• 8 years later...

My Medal "For Distinction in Military Service" 1st and 2nd class with documents

« За отличие в воинской службе »

I степени

rxnu.jpg

The Document

Assigned to:
    Прапорщик ...... Ensign
    Мультан ...... Multan
    Николай ...... Nicolaij
    Петрович ...... Petrovich
    Awarded by:
    Командант в / ч Войскова часть 19178 ...... Commander Military Unit 19173
    Полковник А. Барков ...... Colonel A. Barkov

wsab.jpg

« За Отличие В Воинской Службе »

II степени

n2fa.jpg

The Document

Assigned to:

Прапорщик ...... Ensign
    Тертычнй ...... Tertychny
    Владимир ...... Vladimir
    Степанович ...... Stepanovich
    Awarded by:
    начальника Харьковского ...... Head of the Kharkiv
    Высший военный колледж авиации пилоты ...... The Supreme Military College of Aviation Pilots
    полковник В. Осипов ...... Colonel V. Osipov
    om76.jpg