News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Stalingrad Panorama Museum

• Replies 57
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#18 The 5 Red Banners from the HSU, General-Colonel I.M. Tshistiakov

Wow.....I can understand you spending hours in there. Gotta go visit one day!!! The 5 red banners absolutely blew my mind away....do you have a photo of all his awards...I can see at the top of the pic 3 orders of Lenin.... pls say you have a photo of the whole group!!! Pls pls pls :jumping:

Jim

Rick here is the little history from this museum.

http://panorama.volgadmin.ru/opis_eng.html

I will follow up with more pictures. :P

Concerning jimzammit question, yes I have photographed the whole group, but it was really hard to get descent pictures because of the light reflexion on the window.

Here is the medal group from HSU, General-Colonel I.M. Tshistiakov.

Great thread!

I will be visiting Wolgograd for the May celebrations next year. Although I generally prefer independent travelling, in Wolgograd I am considering taking a guide for 1-2 days. Could you share any connections / websites / tips you might have on visiting Stalingrad?

I've read Beevor's Stalingrad book and am particularly interested in (a la "After the Battle") something which provides details on where to find what related to the battle.

Thanks

Bob, I stayed 4 days in Volgograd and I had plenty of time to see a lot of things walking around the city. I guess 3 days would have been enough. I bought a map at the train station when I arrived and every little Memorial was written on the card, as well as the museum. Beside Mamayev Kurgan, the Stalingrad Panorama Museum, there is other small museums to see, like one for the Civil War (Volgograd State Memorial Museum) in front of the train station and a small museum at the last HQ from Paulus were he was captured at the TSUM (Centralny Univermag) on the Allee of the Heroes in front of the Eternal flame.

I didn't find a lot of information on Internet before to go there. I got my hotel on Internet and I didn't take any guide out there. You can ask for a guide at the reception of your hotel, they will help you. If you have more time, you can make an excursion to Rossoshka. It is a German WWII cemetery. I haven?t been there, but a friend of mine said it was newly restored with German funds. It is like new I heard. Beside that, it is maybe more difficult, but you can make a day trip to Gumrak and Potomnik airfield. I was supposed to go, but I didn?t have time because I met one of my friends living in Volgograd. So that is about what you can expect to see out there.

The city is easy to travel around with Marshroutka. It just cost 7-10 rubbles from the hotel to go to Mamayev Kurgan or to the museums. I didn?t take any taxi.

I have also read M. Beevor book and I had little tourist information before to get there. I got all the information I needed once I was there.

Wenn du Fragen hast kann ich dir gerne helfen.

Hi Soviet,

Thank you for your wonderful presentation; and the pictures (!) - you handled the old ?behind the glass? problem quite well. I would only like to point out that the building in post #2 is known as the flour mill, not to be confused with the famous grain elevator which is located further to the south.

I have long maintained that for anyone even vaguely interested The GPW, that Volgagrod and this museum should be at the top of the list. Thanks for the memories.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Soviet,

I?m sorry, I missed this question when you posted it. I can only say that I did not see this statue when I was there in ?95. That, of course, doesn?t mean that it isn?t there; I may have somehow missed it. Personally, I think that this is one of the most powerful pictures of the war, any front, anywhere; and I do hope that the statue survives. Hopefully someone can tell us so.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

• 2 weeks later...