News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

That "Other" Soviet forum

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

True, Doc, it is so easy to break rules there. One reason I don't visit or post much. I did so at the specific request of a mutual friend and came to regret it.

Still, would hate to see any sibling forums unwell, even the WAF . . . well, . . . .

Edited by Ed_Haynes

I remember this happening a year or two ago as well. Then it was a misunderstanding between the owner of the forum and the provider as I recall. The issue was resolved in a day or two then.

I don't go there much anymore, but have great memories of that forum, and loads of useful info. For now I like this forum better...

:beer:

Ed,

I got the same banner when I tried this morning. To be honest I thought that I had broke one of the forum rules without knowing it. I'm glad to know that it's not just me.

:beer: Doc

Heh, i thought the same, when i got the message. Did i break any rules without even posting anything? Strange, must either be my bad consience or indeed the forum. :P

I do like to glance at the "OTHER" forum once in a blue moon. Even tried to register once but my humble yahoo address is not good enough and I don't have an ISP provided e-mail address. Does not work that way worldwide! So I am happy to participate in this here forum and occasionally glance through the "other" one.... although I think there seems to be a touch more activity in here. Still one can never have enough sources of info with this hobby....

But for those of you who do...I wish you a healthy return back to your accounts :cheers:

Jim

Gentlemen,

For me this forum is the more interesting concerning research and the other to learn how to spot fakes. :P

That is also my opinion :beer: .

GMIC is the only true phaleristic site in the web, where research is regarded in a pure scientific form. Also the communication at GMIC is much more "gentleman-like" and not so "taliban-fanatic" as in the "other" Soviet forum ;) .

Best regards

Christian

BTW: Since summer 2002 I am "banned for lifetime" from the "other" forum - like some other serious members of the collectors community ...

BTW: Since summer 2002 I am "banned for lifetime" from the "other" forum - like some other serious members of the collectors community ...

What have you done? Post in the wrong section and got banned? :P

I like the other forum, but I don't like the fact that they have too many rules.

There was a software glitch this morning in the other forum. Even as a moderator on that other forum, I couldn't log on! It has been resolved though as had was noted earlier in the thread. It's amazing how a keystroke or two can take down a server... which can then take down tons of websites and the like! I remember when my provider upgraded servers about three years ago and "lost" the 450MB worth of files that made up my website... not a fun experience! :angry:

Dave

There was a software glitch this morning in the other forum. Even as a moderator on that other forum, I couldn't log on! It has been resolved though as had was noted earlier in the thread. It's amazing how a keystroke or two can take down a server... which can then take down tons of websites and the like! I remember when my provider upgraded servers about three years ago and "lost" the 450MB worth of files that made up my website... not a fun experience! :angry:

Dave

Thanks, Dave. It does remind us all of the fragile transience of internet sources and, correspondingly, of the permanence of the printed media.

Write those books and articles!

Why I had been banned from the "other" Soviet forum

Cheeky Soviet!!! :cheeky: !!!!!!! But true...Do tell us Christian?? ;)

Gentlemen,

I had been one of the very first members at the "other" Soviet forum, one of the top-posters and on good terms with 99 % of the members - except with one odd guy from Israel, who once boosted, that he had been a tank commander in the Israel Army. He is famous for his postings in a somehow "taliban-style" ;) .

In the course of a poll and a discussion "Who was the greatest strategic genius" (Attention: Poll had been faked, Vasilevsky was the winner!) there had been a discussion between him and me about Zhukov vs. Vasilevsky (Mr. "tank commander" is a great fan of Marshal Zhukov ...). In one posting I called him in a humoristic way "Panzerfuehrer", the german term for "tank commander", and he got mad about "-fuehrer" and banned me from the forum (he had been one of the moderators).

Parts of the discussion about my banning (some postings had been deleted by the owner of the forum) you can read under the thread "Should Zulus be suspended from the forum?" - the poll at the beginning had been faked afterwards, because there was a clear majority among the forum's members, that Zulus should not be banned.

If you search under "CZ" you can find the not deleted threads & postings by me, which have partly are certain humoristic value ;) .

My favorite thread at the "other" forum is "Who/What is Umalatova?" from may 2002 :P .

O.K., that is history - really serious phaleristical (and historical) discussions take place at GMIC concerning Soviet Awards and no other forum can compete.

Best regards

Christian

P.S.: I am also banned from the WAF ...

Tito's Order of Victory

So, did you end up buying Tito's Order of Victory?

Dear Bob,

no :( , but I never wanted to buy Tito's "Victory" myself - price tag a little bit over my personel budget for investments into awards ;) -, but Prof. Eugene Rabkin http://www.russianglory.com was terribly interested to buy Tito's "Victory".

So I pointed out, that the hughe number of Tito's awards (#2 behind comrade Brezhnev :P ) - have a look at his truly impressive list: http://www.titoville.com/odlikovanja.html - might be in private ownership of Tito's heirs. Most likly his son, who works as a diplomat for Croatia in Zagreb might be the legal owner.

The fact is, that Tito's awards are still in his museum in Belgrade, Serbia, and it seems, that the medals are property of the Serbian State. There you will find also a beautiful Suvorvov 1cl.

But Prof. Rabkin seems to have already an "Order of Victory" in his private collection - at least if you look at the "other" Soviet forum into his "Eugene" private profile, you will find the "Order of Victory" noted as the "Crown Juwel" of his collection :cheeky: .

Gentlemen, if someone would be interested to check the possibility of a "privatization" of Tito's foreign medals, then it would be useful to contact Mr. Dragan Kojadinovic, who is the minister for cultural affairs in Serbia and speaks English: http://www.kultura.sr.gov.yu/eng/ministar.htm . At least Marshal Tito never wore foreign orders or medals at his uniform, as you can see at the attached photograph from his last birthday (25.05.1979). So there might be maybe a chance for a rather wealthy collector :unsure: . The historic value of Tito's "Victory" should be definatly much higher, than the same orders for King Michael or comrade Brezhnev ;)

Best regards

Christian

[attachmentid=62391]