News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

That "Other" Soviet forum

• Replies 51
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lemme echo Ed's comments that we should not get into any forum wars and live peacefully with eachother. Each one makes his bed and each one lies in it... And everyone is comfy as he pleases yes!

:beer: to all collectors wherever they are......

Jim

Lemme echo Ed's comments that we should not get into any forum wars and live peacefully with eachother. Each one makes his bed and each one lies in it... And everyone is comfy as he pleases yes!

:beer: to all collectors wherever they are......

Well said, Jim.

But, especially, :beer::beer::beer::catjava: (the closest I could get to "three cheers and a tiger" :P ) to the good crowd HERE.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Well said, Jim.

But, especially, :beer::beer::beer::catjava: (the closest I could get to "three cheers and a tiger" :P ) to the good crowd HERE.

Dear Ed,

that is 100 % also my view of the situation :beer: .

Dave & Bob:

I am not the only collector, who had been banned from the "other" Soviet forum, there are some other - much more distinguished collectors & experts than myself - who had been banned from "Art's Empire of the Rules" :cheeky: .

So I assume, that humoristic threads are not the source for banning ...

Jim's attitude is correct: They have their forum and we have our forum - and everybody should be happy in his own world ;) .

I told the story of my banning and about Tito's Order of Victory, because that is something linked with my person and GMIC-members asked me, but I don't want to go on with a discussion like: "Why we are better than the others" or "Why moderator XY is an idiot".

Best regards

Christian

We all know that each forum has its own rules and guidelines. They are sponsered/hosted by individual personalities. That being said, I have to agree that this is NO place for forum/Host bashing!!! I have to remind myself of that on a regular basis. To quote an infamous person, "Please!! Can't we all just get along"?

:beer: Doc

Edited by Riley1965

Dear Stogieman,

you are right: That's the most curious birthday cake for an old marshal I have ever seen - look at the lovely bugs around the cake :P .

Well, it looks more like a birthday cake for a small child from a very rich family ... But maybe comrade Tito was already something like a "small child" at his high age.

Besides the great cake I choose the photograph to show, that Tito presented only YU-Awards at his uniform (to present all his orders & medals he would have had to use 4 to 5 uniform jackets at once ...).

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Nice cake in the photo.... I like cake a lot....

Is he wearing the Order of Freedom?

Yes, he is wearing the "Order of Freedom" on his right side, the highest military order of Yugoslavia and at the same rank as the Soviet "Order of Victory".

Only 7 people got the order: 5 comrades from YU + Zhukov & Brezhnev. There is not one of these orders in private hands or had ever been at the market. The order has 61 brilliants and 45 rubies - quite something :cheeky: .

Best regards

Christian

Wow, I didn't know Brezhnev was a yugoslavian partisan. I'm impressed! ;)

No, the YU-Order of Freedom was not for partisans. The regulations are rather ident to the Soviet Order of Victory.

So Zhukov might have got his one for the planning of the liberation of Belgrade (?) and Brezhnev got his one for the same reasons, why he got the Order of Victory :mad: .

Best regards

Christian

Dear Piramida,

Actually the order of freedom was also awarded twice in 1999 by Milosevic to two of his generals, so I guess it was awarded 9 times :)

that sounds very interesting and is completly new to me. After the 1999-war Nato vs. YU a large number of officers and soldiers received orders and medals from Milosevic, but I thought, that YU had already completly new decorations, rather similar to these of the former YU-Monarchy.

Do you have further evidence of that case?

Who had been the recipients - Gen. Pavkovic and who else?

Christian

So Zhukov might have got his one for the planning of the liberation of Belgrade (?) and Brezhnev got his one for the same reasons, why he got the Order of Victory :mad: .

Chistian, what was the "official" reason for Brezhnev for being awarded the Order of the Victory, except that he liked medals a lot?

Chistian, what was the "official" reason for Brezhnev for being awarded the Order of the Victory, except that he liked medals a lot?

I dont know what was on the citation... but didn't he award this to himself when he was in power?

I dont know what was on the citation... but didn't he award this to himself when he was in power?

For sure, otherwise I don't see why he should be 4 times Hero of th e Soviet Union. I always saw pictures of Staline showing only one. An other question : "How many Hero of th e Soviet Union orders did Stalin had?"

Edited by Soviet

Wasn't the fact that he was "in power" reason enough for him to be deserving? ;)

This apart from the fact that - reading a book with details about Brezhnev - it doesn't seem he was very much "in power". Perhaps awards was one way to keep the doggy happy?

I am sure I said this somewhere on another thread.....But Napoleon was of the opinion that "Men are led by toys!" and with this in mind, he instituted the Legion d'Honneur! At least that's a quothe I remember studying and for my history essays back in school!! - When I see these heavily bemedelled characthers I cannot help but think of that!

Another quothe says that the "he who dies with the most toys wins!" Funny that this very capitalist idea seemed to be a driver behind these heavyweight communist politicians.... makes you wonder about the inherent cracks that never allowed the soviets to fully achieve their communist dreams and that finally helped to bring the system down!

On a lighter note.......I, like Brezhnev and Tito also like...no...LOVE ODMs ... Anyone volonteering 3 or 4 HSU's please .... even 1 order of victory would do it for me.... :cheeky:

Jim

Brezhnev & battle awards

Gentlemen,

comrade Brezhnev had been mad about getting authentic battle awards and the folks around him with pleasing him to confer them to him.

Brezhnev had 3 goals in his life:

- to promote to the rank of a marshal

- to get the Order of Victory

- to get as many HSUs as Zhukov had

He fulfilled all 3 :P - O.K., he was the boss ...

Coming back to the YU-Order of Freedom & Brezhnev. At official state visits it is the habit - till in our times -, that the guest (if he is head of state or chief of the party) gets the highest ranking civil order of the inviting state. Comrade Brezhnev visited Belgrade, as you can see at the attached photograph with Tito, and according to the regulations of international diplomacy he should have got the "Order of the Flag" 1cl. But the comrades in Yugoslavia knew, that "big brother" Brezhnev was eager to get real battle awards. So they gave him the "Order of Freedom", the highest ranking military order. My theory ...

Best regards

Christian

[attachmentid=62614]

Dear Piramida,

that sounds very interesting and is completly new to me. After the 1999-war Nato vs. YU a large number of officers and soldiers received orders and medals from Milosevic, but I thought, that YU had already completly new decorations, rather similar to these of the former YU-Monarchy.

Do you have further evidence of that case?

Who had been the recipients - Gen. Pavkovic and who else?

Christian

Dear Christian

The awards and decorations here in Serbia still have not been reformed although there is a serious proposal for an new law that regulates that subject.

During Milosevic's time orders and medals were pretty much the same as in Tito's time with a few exeptions and minor motif changes.

Concerning the Order of Freedom itself, I know I found an article on the web that confirmed this, although its this subject was infact discussed at length on the other forum.

As for the recipients you are correct that one was Colonel-General Nebojsa Pavkovic, the other was General of the Army Dragoljub Ojdanic. Now offcourse both are on trial for warcrimes...

All the best

Ivan

P.S. The order that Brezhnev should have gotten, and he did in 1962, is the order of the "Yugoslav Grand Star" not flag. He got the Freedom as a present from Tito in 1976 as a present for his 70th birthday.

Edited by Piramida