News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Interesting observation Don, but I can't think of a single Luftwaffe Unit Badge that has a swastika... Fran?ois?? Can you??

I can try but may be wrong and accept to be corrected.

In my opinion it is not linked to HG division but to a Panzeraufklarungstaffel. My theory is based on the design and on some pins I already have (I don't have this one but would like to have it if one day it is available).

To illustrate what I am saying I attached one from Panzeraufklarungstaffel 6/13

Taking Don's observation "With no swaz on it I'm inclined to think it is post war/ a 57er", most (not all) of the LW emblems don't have a "swaz", to follow with th same example of Panzeraufklarunstaffel 6/13, hehe is the scan of the document issued with this pin and the date is 30.9.41

I am not saying that the pin shown by Stogie is wartime but if it is the case (my opinion) it is linked to a Panzeraufklarunstaffel and not to a HG unit

What do you think that the 70 refers to?

Pete

How about a commemorative pin for a 1970 unit reunion?

The overall design looks to be loosely based on the ?Panzerkampfabzeichen der Luftwaffe.? Incorporating the lightning bolt of the ?Erdkampfabzeichen? combined with the tank suggests a motorized combat unit which would mean ?Panzer/Panzergrenadier? which in turn says.. ?HG?

I wonder if the date of manufacture could be narrowed down by looking into the maker.

Just some thoughts..

Panzer-Aufkl?rungs-Staffel = Tank -reconnaiscence - squadron. Light aircrafts organized into the army as H-Staffeln (Heeres-Staffeln) they used planes from the type Hs 126 and after 1941 Fw 189

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

I believe that the above mentioned Aufkl?rungsstaffel 6/13 belonged to the Aufkl?rungsgruppe 13

6.(H)/13

1940 im Westen von 1.(H)/13(Pz) aufgestellt (Hs 126). 1941 Ru?landfeldzug, Aufkl?rung f?r 18.PzDiv im Mittelabschnitt bis November. 1942 als 6.(H)/13 mit FW-189 bei NAG 4 im S?dabschnitt. In Stalingrad geblieben. M?rz 1943 als 1./NAG 4 neu aufgestellt mit Me-109 Einsatz im Mittelabschnitt. Ende 1943 bei NAG 15, im April 1944 bei NAG 10, am 26.03.1945 bei NAG 4 in Danzig-Langfuhr. (Die Staffel befand sich aller Wahrscheinlichkeit nach am 12.Juni 1943 unter dem VIII.Fliegerkorps mit 2 Me-109 und 5 FW-189 in Charkow-Ost)

6.(H)/13:Formed 12.40 in G?ppingen from parts of 1.(H)/13. Was part of Aufkl?rungsgruppe Fleischmann, 11.42 - 12.42. Disbanded 1.43.

http://www.ww2.dk/air/recon/aufklg13.htm

http://www.lexikon-der-wehrmacht.de/Gliede...wader/Index.htm

http://sh-home.de/s.j.schaefer/heeresfl/werhflg.html

Hardy

Edited by Naxos

In Stogie's pin the eagle is sending a thunderbolt down to the tank (looks like a combination of Erdkampfabzeichen and Panzerkampfabzeichen).

In Fran?ois' pin the eagle is on top of a German tank serving as eyes and wings to the tank commander.

I think the two pins are symbolizing different units. Stogie's pin could be from a Fallschirm-Panzer-J?ger-Abteilung, a Panzer-J?ger-Abteilung of a L-Feld-Division or from the Panzer-Division Hermann G?ring later Fallschirm-Panzer-Division Hermann G?ring .

Regards, Hardy

Edited by Naxos

In Stogie's pin the eagle is sending a thunderbolt down to the tank (looks like a combination of Erdkampfazeichen and Panzerkampfabzeichen).

In Fran?ois' pin the eagle is on top of a German tank serving as eyes and wings to the tank commander.

I think the two pins are symbolizing different units. Stogie's pin could be from a Fallschirm-Panzer-J?ger-Abteilung, a Panzer-J?ger-Abteilung of a L-Feld-Division or from the Panzer-Division Hermann G?ring later Fallschirm-Panzer-Division Hermann G?ring .

Regards, Hardy

That makes sense Hardy, thanks - any idea on the 70?

I?m inclined to think this is a postwar item, which may refer to wartime or even postwar service. The tank depicted looks much more like a US medium tank of the M48/M 60 series than like the Pzkfw III depicted on WWII Panzer Assault Badge. See comparison pics attached.

Regards,

Sandro

You could consider writing to the Traditionsgemeinschafft for Fschpzkorps HG, to see whether they can help identifying the item, and can help explain the enigmatic "70" (which possibly refers to the date of a reunion). According to a recent site, their address is:

"Hermann G?ring":

"Traditionsverband Fallschirmpanzerkorps"

Reinhold Gerlach, Zum Seifengraben 18, 35582 Wetzlar,

Tel.: 0641 - 21868.

Cheers,

Sandro