News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Kivalo Dolgozol Badges

Gentlemen:

What is this one? Image borrowed from auction site, credit applied, published for educational purposes only.

Is #2 light manufacturing (handicrafts?)?

Edited by Ulsterman

Gentlemen:

What is this one? Image borrowed from auction site, credit applied, published for educational purposes only.

Is #2 light manufacturing (handicrafts?)?

The one on the left is for "Social Worker" - or in other words for a volunteer worker. The one on the right is a Light Industry badge. Will do some research on these -

So far nothing mentioned on teh Socail Worker badge. The Light Industry Badge was created along with a whole slew of other ones forn 1952 onward (no mention to the exact date) and was discontinued after the foundation of the "Kivalo Munkaert" medal of 1977 which would be awarded with a specific device per the ministry for which it was awarded for (I am talking about the Kivalo Munkaert medal that was designed for a trifold ribbon. The device would be worn on the ribbon.) Also the light Industry Badge was bestowed by none other than the Light Industry Ministry. Of other interest the same ministry was able to bestow the "Kivalo Femgyuto" (Excelent Metal Collector) - not kidding... :unsure:

Edited by hunyadi

Charles,

This badge is associated with the Children's Railroad. I don't know why it has both a Posta horn and a railroad set of wings and wheels. When I visited the Children's Railroad Museaum last weekend they have one of these badges on display plus old hats where this is the cap badge they wore. There are flags with this symbol plus flags with just the horn. I'd apprecate it sometime, when you have some time, that we visit this museum together. It really is rather interesting and although small has a lot to see. At an entrance fee of 50 Fts. it woun't break us!

Regards,

Gordon

This has to be one of the more 'cheaply' made badges - Its made of aluminum with pained on enamel. Very light and very unique. My best guess is an "excellent worker" for a postal program in the Young Pioneers program. Probably from the 1980's from the construction.

There are flags with this symbol plus flags with just the horn. I'd apprecate it sometime, when you have some time, that we visit this museum together. It really is rather interesting and although small has a lot to see. At an entrance fee of 50 Fts. it woun't break us!

Another museum? Thankfuly we both have the best wives in the world. Yes - lets go! As for today - you left a little too early. Found the guy with the medals and he had this one for a little more than the price of dirt. Keeping with the railroad theme - this is an "Excellent Social Worker" for a guy with GANZ-M?VAG (they built locomotives, engines, bridges, etc...) M?VAG (Magyar ?llamvasutak G?pgy?ra - Hungarian State Railroads' Machine Factory) Originaly started as a steam locomotive company in 1873 it was one of the largest factories in Budapest. The other company GANZ - that made diesel engines was just down the road. They joined in 1959.

Its an interesting badge - not a common type and it came with a ocument for 1982. What is also interesting is that the case is a hinged and latch type, but that it is also an early type scuff pad (marble design) with a late 1970's - 80's plastic faux lined blue injection molded insert. The insert is even a little small inside the case as this insert was clearly designed to go into a platsic type case. But this case was one of a few that pop up every now and then that were clearly made from the 1950's and forgotten until later when they were finised with the inserts (plastic type) Just another variant of 300+ "Kivalo" designs.

Edited by hunyadi

very cool. It's always a good day with something new and Hungarian :jumping: here!

Amen to that! :jumping::jumping: I must say, that blue certainly does contrast nicely with the gold of the award and the red and white of the rest of the case. And looks like it has a nice clasp on it too! :cool:

Yet another terrific find! :beer: I'm so tempted to mortgage the house and fly over there and load up with tons of goodies! :P

Dan :cheers:

Amen to that! :jumping::jumping: I must say, that blue certainly does contrast nicely with the gold of the award and the red and white of the rest of the case. And looks like it has a nice clasp on it too! :cool:

Yet another terrific find! :beer: I'm so tempted to mortgage the house and fly over there and load up with tons of goodies! :P

Dan :cheers:

You and me both. if only Jetblue flew there-and they let me have my passport back :banger:

Charles,

I guess I did leave a bit too early. Dorothy was cold waiting outside the museum and not feeling all that well by the time I got there. Just one of those days diabetics have from time to time. She revived after we ate, visited the Red Bus Book Store and the Spring Festival booths at Varosmajor Ter!

A brief report for the rest of the forum members on the International Militaria Show in Eger. It is international because there were some Austrian dealers there and they had some nice German WWII stuff most of which was authentic. Note the "most". I went primarily to meet Zsolt in person, look at some badges he had for sale and to check out the show. The show was interesting from the point of view that there were no faces that I recognized. There was some new stuff on the tables that hasn't shown up in Budapest yet but prices were generally high. From the door entrance fee, which was almost double that of Budapest, to the prices of things on the tables. The show was about the same size as the one in Budapest and I doubt that I would drive the 130 Kms to Eger for the show again unless it was to look at something really worthwhile. There were a couple of interesting uniforms. A Hungarian WWII Panzer officer with quite a thread row for ribbons and an older standup collar uniform that I did not recognize. I tried to buy a group of medals and documents from a guy to go with the Fireman's uniform I posted yesterday but he would not come down to a reasonable price so he still owns it. Time to go and take some pictures of today's haul so I can post them on the forum.

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig

Charles,

Another great photo. I'll put it in my archives for the KISZ article I 'm working on. The woman at the front of the photo is a KISZ leader of a Joung Pioneer Group. You can see her girls in uniform behind her. She is wearing the standard KISZ leaders shirt and badge. I would really like one of those. The shirt not the girl. My wife would have something to say about that!!

Regards,

Gordon

Hi Charles,

I'd be willing to be that in some dark, dingy, forgotten corner of a warehouse somewhere... or a basement or attic, a bunch of those hugh badges are just sitting there packed away and ready to be found. Here's hoping you're the one to find them! :jumping::jumping::beer:

:cheers:

Last Wed - made a botched attempt at seeing the Museum of the Chidren's Railroad that was formed as a KISZ / DISZ program. On the wall where we could see were some posters of the old period. This was one of them. Of interest is the badge she is wearing on her lapel - the Kivalo Dolgozol of the Childrens Railroad.

Edited by hunyadi

Gents,

Charles was kind enough not tomention that we went to the Children's Railroad Museum at my suggestion. We went on a Wednesday and it turned out that the museum is only open on the weekends. Oh well, a future trip on some nice warm spring day.

I'd like to point out one more thing in the photo posted by Charles. The cap badge being worn by the young girl in the photo is almost identical o the suspended part og the badge worn on her lapel. The cap badge design also appears on some flags in the museum as well.

Regards,

Gordon

• 4 weeks later...

the reverse - low number and early quality help to confirm my speculation that the 'szakma' series was started at "1" and then numerically awarded after that. Others seem to follow other strange patterns - probably because some were manufactued with numbers, then for a time without, then other that had the numbers cusomly applied...its all a mess with those...but not this style.

Congratulations, Charles !

This is a realy rare and nice badge. Awarded from 1953. From June 1954 awarded another type of the "Kiv?l? B?ny?sz" badge already.

Zsolt

Edited by Zsolt

Zsolt,

Thanks for the info. I have Charles to thank for this cased medal. We were in a store going through a box of stuff and I asked him if he knew what a Miners Kivalo looked like. He said he had just seen one and pulled it out of the box for me. If I understand your post correctly, this badge was only awarded for about a year. True? Do you have a picture of the award presented after this one was no longer awarded/

Regards,

Gordon

Edited by Gordon Craig