News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hungarian Kivalo Dolgozol Badges

Charles,

New stuff from the show on Saturday I assume. Too bad I missed this one but I got to brows in my friend Nico's store, visit two flea markets, fill some holes in my DDR collection and visit a very interesting museum at the old U.S. military McNair Barracks in Berlin. All in all, not a bad weelend!

Cheers,

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

though I doubt if the box and the Excelent Worker badge belong together - I found the award documents (!!!!) stuffed under the felt lining. Of interest is a 'congratulatory' note from the director informing him of the award. Never seen one of these beofre. :jumping:

Hi Charles,

Great find my friend! Much better than I've been doing on my trip to Florida. Been through Georgia twice and Alabama once so far and very little has popped up. But have picked up a few goodies on Ebay since I got here... seems that's just destined to be my primary for finding new goodies.

Keep up the great work. I just know there are more treasures hding in them thar hills! :beer:

Dan :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...

I am almost afraid to add more things to this thread as poor Rick's computer will collapse under the strain of those pictures loading......

but here is one I got many months ago-some sort of young communists/ pioneers league badge: Excellent (?) work badge of some sort ("kivalo kisdobos munkaert") -I have no idea what "Kisdobos" means and my dictionary has no reference at all.-sigh-

But it is beautifully made-so I presume an earlier one. About 3.4cm in diameter.

Edited by Ulsterman

Kisdobos is literaly 'little drummer'. This was the first step in the Communist Youth (Kisdobos = Cub Scouts, while the Uttoro "Pioneer" = Boy Socuts). It is my assumption that this is a badge for those who were the leaders in the Kisdobos, and not an award for the young kids themselves. But I am not sure :unsure:

In my experience, this is not one that is found on every street corner, but I have found a couple in the past few years. Nice find! :beer:

Ulsterman,

I agree with Charles that the badge you posted is probably for an adult leader of the Kisdobos age group. The key is probably use of the word "MUNK?ERT" in the name of the award. Here is a picture of the award you posted from my collection along with a KIVAL? MUNK?ERT UTT?R? award.

The use of the drum for these young children has historical significance in Hungary. It was used to link the modern (of the day) young people to the young drummer boys who marched with the men who fought against Austrian rule in the 1848 Revolution.

Edited by Gordon Craig

• 1 month later...

V?ros ?s k?zs?ggazd?lkod?s kiv?l? dolgoz?ja - Excellent worker of the town and village management.

Awarded from the Ministry of Town and Village Management (1954?1956)

The Ministry administered town planning and landscape architecture. It also controlled the housing administration, the investment departments of local councils as well as communal (i.e. public) works.

V?ros ?s k?zs?ggazd?lkod?s kiv?l? dolgoz?ja - Excellent worker of the town and village management.

Awarded from the Ministry of Town and Village Management (1954?1956)

The Ministry administered town planning and landscape architecture. It also controlled the housing administration, the investment departments of local councils as well as communal (i.e. public) works.

Now that is a nice and rare one! :jumping: