News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Thank you for the nice comments. I was very happy when I turned this one over. I have seen a couple in pictures but this was the first to be in my hands. I probably passed 20 other BWBs at the show and never even checked.

The reference to Meybauer is from markings on the EK1's. http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=20316&hl=meybauer

The second cross in this link will show the same device with PM stamped in it. I am not sure that these were exclusively used by Meybauer. Could someone else have patened these and sold them to anyone that wanted one? There is no marking on my badge that I can find. If there is documentation linking this number to PM then that changes things.

Thanks,

Chet

Hi Chet,

The DRGM-number on the EK-device is not related to the cross, but rather to the device itself. Further more, the DRGM-number was never issued to a specific manufacturer, it represented a certain design. The easiest way to illustrate this, is to compare the DRL-badge, produced by i.g. Wernstein and M?ller. Both feature the DRGM-number 35269.

cheers

Peter

Indeed, but the DRL DRGM was a copyright for the design of the badge and it came on no matter who made the badge.

I have seen 3 variations of EK with this, all Meybauer made crosses... then this.

There is an off chance that another maker used these... but so far none spotted... and then... why would they bother? If i am not mistaken, they would have had to pay Meybauer to use their copyrighted simple nut designed by them?

Easier to make a nut of your own and pay nothing ?

I would guess very likely Meyerbauer, with a "Never say never" possibility that someone else may have used these.

(Has anyone seen one on a non Meybauer product?)

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply, I've been on the move today.

Andy's screwback EK1 linked to by Chet clearly and definitevely links the DRGM screwdisk to Meyabuer via the PM stamping. Sometimes you get the PM, sometimes you don't. I totally agree with Chris that the DRGM is only related to the screwdisk though, not the cross (or Wound Badge in this case).

Personally, I have only ever seen this DRGM screwdisk in relation to Meybauer items (commonly in conjunction with a crest marking on the back of the item and commonly a cross shaped backing plate for cross-shaped items), be they screwback Prussian EK1s, Oldenburg FA1Xs, Braunschweig KVK1s, Schlesien Adler 1Kl screwback, etc, etc. The DRGM screwdisk was used on quite a WIDE variety of Meybauer produced awards. Unfortunately I can't show a pic at present to illustrate this.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike, I can live with that explaination. I just wanted to emphasize the difference in order to avoid misconseptions, should this be read by any individual without the general knowledge of the DRGM :beer:

cheers

Peter

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm in a position to add a couple of pics to prove the Meybauer-DRGM relationship.

Below are two WBs from my collection. Both Silver Grade, although the one on the left is heavily worn. They share the same obverse features (taking wear into account) and also appear to share the same obverse features as Chet's Black example above.

Regards

Mike

Both examples imo came from the same (obverse) die.

If you look carefully at the reverse scans below, specifically the example on the right above the catch, you'll see the Meybauer crest poking out from behind the pin. The Meybauer relationship to the DRGM example on the left becomes self-explanatory, taking the other evidence into account imo.

Regards

Mike