News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dates on WW1 CdG...

Chris Boonzaier

Hi

1914-15 4

1914-16 1

1914-17 3

1914-18 4

I would like to add a few comments

As a collector, I have priviledged the earlier dates, leaving alone most of the 1914-18 crosses I saw. The reason I have 3 1917 is that one is silver, and the other in a group; the 1915 are 4 because I consider they are the earlier ones, so I bought all those I saw. And the 1914-18 I have all show different variations in their manufacture (large/smaller numerals, hilts of swords touching the cross or not).

This is just to say that collections may not be fully representative of the relative number of crosses made and potentially available. Don't forger that ALL crosses manufactured and sold since 1918 (and they are still available from the Mint to-day) have the 1914-1918 reverse.

I would therefore recommend that only the 3 first types be maintained if statistics of awards are to be derived from this interesting project.

My guess is that the scarcer are the 1916 dates. But this may not be supported by figures as they will emerge from the answers

I hope replies will be plentiful and I am happy to contribute immediately

Veteran

Edited by Veteran

How careful were French veterans in purchasing the exact reverse dates to which they were entitled? We may never know? Was this checked with any care by the vendors who sold them these medals? Obviously, the reverse dates mattered to the veteran who wore Chris' recent (lovely) group, but was this unusual or common?

I have always assumed that medals awarded (unusual in French phaleristics) to foreigners (I have some groups with CdGs to Indians, from both wars) were dated based on when the deed was performed, or was it the date of the authorising orders?

Many questions, few answers. :rolleyes:

Ed

The truth is that most recipients did not look that close. But occasionnally one would, which makes this group particularly attractive.

The first Croix de guerre were available in 1915, so that all men who received a citation between July 1914 and the end of 1915 had a 1914-1915 cross.... unless they lost and replaced it with the type available when the replacement was made. Awards in 1916 would have a 1914-1916 (my father who received his with the Legion of honor for Verdun in March 1916 had one). Same for 1914-1917 for the 1917 awards.

All crosses available from 1918 until to-day are 1914-1918; because that is the official and final reverse of the WW 1 French Croix de guerre. Period.

That is why I suggest that 1914-1918 crosses be ignored if some kind of proportions are to be established.

Cheers

Veteran

All crosses available from 1918 until to-day are 1914-1918; because that is the official and final reverse of the WW 1 French Croix de guerre. Period.

Indeed... another thing to think of... often you find a framed group with a diploma... all the fashion in France after W1... this is usually a second set of medals as the veterans still wore the originals on parades.

One group I have has a guy who got the Croix de Guerre in 15... and 8 citations... on his framed certificate there is a 1918 cross.

• 1 year later...

Interesting question...

Here is my partial count (I have more, but mot 'cataloged', because acquired a long time ago :

1914-15 : 2

1914-16 : 1

1914-17 : 1

1914-18 : 4

And, not including some framed (probably 1914-1918).

Cheers.

Ch.