News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet manufactured, non-Soviet awards

I am not saying it isn't true, but just that the quality doesn't quite have a Mondovor "feel". I have always guessed East German or Hungarian manufacture.

I would vote out Hungarian manufacture as I have hardly ever seen any Afghan awards here. With the "Kadarism" by the 1980's the link with the SU was pretty weak by then and the Hungarians saw the invasion of Afghanistan as a similar event to Hungary in 1956. The Czechs also had a mint and produced some of the N Korean awards so there may be a link there also?

This is some examples of afganistan order of Peace between peoples. This examples made in Soviet Mondvor. Will check at home for some documents which will prove that some afgani items were produces in USSR.

I'm in Tbilisi right now. I was looking through a small box of parachute badges last Saturday, sure that there weren't any there that I didn't already have. Whoops, what's this?

Darned if I didn't find what seems to be a Cuban parachute badge. It is a mirror-stamped badge, no provision for a hanger, Cuban flag at the top in place of the red star and the word "TERCERA" in the white canopy below the flag, otherwise identical to the Russian version. Could be a fantasy, I suppose, but my feeling is that it's real. It has a "Pobeda" and "Moscow" screwplate. It's probably common enough but it's the only one I've come across.

Chuck

Chuck,

These are genuine. I believe that there was a thread about them on "the other forum".

Marc

This is some examples of afganistan order of Peace between peoples. This examples made in Soviet Mondvor. Will check at home for some documents which will prove that some afgani items were produces in USSR.

I have an award booklet for one (elsewhere on this forum). Off the top of my head, it looks very much Soviet produced as well.

I have an award booklet for one (elsewhere on this forum). Off the top of my head, it looks very much Soviet produced as well.

I think the Cuban combined Arms Badges are Russian made, They're identical other than instead of a star, they have a tiny Cuban shield.

Stogieman,

Yes, they are. There is a mintmark at the lower left of your badge, on the reverse. From memory, I believe that it is the Pobeda Factory.

Marc

• 2 months later...

Gentlemen,

You should also include the Peoples Democratic Republic of Yemen. From correspondence with the late Igor Victor-Orlov he confirmed to me from his sources that the mints in either Moscow and/or Leningrad manufactured PDRY awards - he had no details but on inspection of various items and correspondence with other interested parties, these would appear to include - Order of the Revolution, Independence, 22 June, Friendship, Bravery and War of Liberation Medal and possibly a few other commenorative medals. Other awards were manufactured in Hungary and some internal security awards were manufactured in the DDR. I attach from the Arab thread a picture of Abdulfatah Ismail, President 1978-80, wearing on his left shoulder the Order of the Revolution and the USSR Order of the Friendship to Peoples - neck badge as yet unidentified.

Regards,

Owain

Edited by oamotme

Have you ever seen one marked? (Mongolian awards made there, for example, usually are marked.)

Have you ever seen any sources that confirm this?

I am not saying it isn't true, but just that the quality doesn't quite have a Mondovor "feel". I have always guessed East German or Hungarian manufacture.

The proof. ;)

On these cardboard leaflets there were samples of orders and ribbon bars.

Guest Rick Research

We can. :cheers:

These are sealed production sample patterns for tombak Afghan "Order of Amanullah Khan" on the left and "Said Dzhamaluddin Afghani" on the right. Signed off on and stamped by the director and chief of "TO" of the Moscow Mint on the date shown.