News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Soviet & Eastern Block Quiz - 2009

Well Christophe,

"I take the easy shot... Let's just guess what could be the top row : 1 HSU, 6 Lenin, 4 Red Banners... "

That is BIG.

I was wondering if you managed to guess from the positions of the upper bar with the number of medals on the lower bar. But I thought it might be just a bit more complicated as that as their could be mutiple HSUs.

• Replies 385
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 HSU 6 Lenins 4 Red Banners, 20 years RKKA, Leningrad, Moscow, Stalingrad, both Victory medals and various commemorative medals till the 1968 SAF 50th.

A lovely group in the making... with our man ... as we already established... being born somewhere around the turn of the century and passing away between 1968 and 1975 (just before the 30th anniversary of Victory over Germany was issued)

Again, I want something really BIG to reveal more...

but if it is Big enough, more will be revealed.

Of course, I consider the recipient's name to be Big ... so something less than that will do...

... But beware, I may want more than what you give. Plus the group has some other very distinguishing features which should be uncovered first.

Good luck!!

Edited by JimZ

Well... my long ago ancestor Dr. John Watson learned a bit from his friend and colleague Sherlock Holmes and then passed it all down in the family. :rolleyes:

Basically... I felt I remembered this style of display with the glass, background, etc., being shown on one of the threads regarding Soviet museums. I did a search for museum in the Soviet section and sure enough:

http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9297&hl=museum

Post #5

Pic reposted with the kind permission of Ed Haynes. :cheers:

Sadly the post does not say who the group belonged to and Ed did not know.

So still digging and trying to figure out the rest. :jumping::beer:

Dan :cheers:

Here is his bio from Wikipedia :

"Nikolai Nikolayevich Voronov (Russian: Никола́й Никола́евич Во́ронов; May 5 [O.S. May 17] 1899, Petersburg ? February 28, 1968, Moscow) was a Soviet military leader, Chief Marshal of Artillery (1944), and Hero of the Soviet Union (May 7, 1965).

Nikolai Voronov was awarded six Orders of Lenin, Order of the October Revolution. four Orders of the Red Banner, three Orders of Suvorov (1st Class), Order of the Red Star, five foreign orders, medals and an honorary weapon. He was interred in the Kremlin Wall Necropolis at the Red Square.

"

Interesting to notice that his Order of the October Revolution has not been added to the bar... Awarded too late in time for him to wear it before he dies...

Ch.

Edited by Christophe

Well done!

My pic came from my last visit to the Central Armed Forces museum in Moscow and was taken on my cell phone. I got a thrill out of sneaking a great number of pics!!

I remember looking at some orders on display and explaining to my wife why those specific orders were fakes ... when a young museum assistant came up to me to ask if he could help me!! Sure enough I politely told him that no, I did not need any help but thank you! I was not going to go into the merits of what was a fake and and more importantly explaining why and how I knew!!

As my visit of the museum continued I was shocked at the number of fakes or lets call them "replacement" pieces have been intorduced into the display stands. It is my fear that a lot of orders left that museum in the same way that they left the Hermitage! Disappointing but nevertheless an attempt to meet the growing appetite for high end soviet awards. And then we wonder why the exportation of Soviet ODMs has been illegalised.

Well done Dan and Christophe, but particularly Dan on finding Soviet Marshal of Artillery Nikolai Nikolaevich Vornov's group.... incidentally born in 1899 (turn of the century) and died 1968. It is amazing how much a group can tell us about the person it was awarded to.

Here is his bio from Wikipedia :

"Nikolai Nikolayevich Voronov (Russian: Никола́й Никола́евич Во́ронов; May 5 [O.S. May 17] 1899, Petersburg ? February 28, 1968, Moscow) was a Soviet military leader, Chief Marshal of Artillery (1944), and Hero of the Soviet Union (May 7, 1965).

Nikolai Voronov was awarded six Orders of Lenin, Order of the October Revolution. four Orders of the Red Banner, three Orders of Suvorov (1st Class), Order of the Red Star, five foreign orders, medals and an honorary weapon. He was interred in the Kremlin Wall Necropolis at the Red Square.

"

Interesting to notice that his Order of the October Revolution has not been added to the bar... Awarded too late in time for him to wear it before he dies...

Ch.

And amazingly that's all there is on Wiki! Little more on the net......

Hi Christophe,

Many thanks my friend! :cheers: Just lucky that my poor befuddled brain worked for once and I remembered the display type and was able to find it. And of course if Ed had not posted that pic... so many thanks to him! :cheers:

Just sorry I'm not able to read that much Russian as I suspected that was the name info at the bottom but didn't know for sure.

Congrats on finishing it out!!!! :beer:

Jim, Christophe... many thanks! :D I myself had considered Christophe to be the winner as he did come up with the final part. :beer: And as it would probably take me a good while to come up with something nearly as good as Jim's question... I'd like to offer the honor of asking the next one to Christophe as I think he'll be able to come up with something good in my stead. And Christophe... if you don't have the time at the mo then if you're okay with it please let Jim have another go. I quite enjoyed this one and it's been awhile for me so this was definitely fun! :jumping::jumping:

Hope this is okay. :unsure:

Hi Dan, Up to you...

Will try to find one... Except if Jim wants again to challenge us... Jim ? :rolleyes:

Ch.

Again at the moment my brain would probably short out before I could come up with a good one. So whichever of you would like the honor of the next one it's fine by me. :cool:

Let the games begin! :beer:

I was going to pass on the challenge but instead I'll throw this question instead:

Who am I?

Please tell my story. And then, TELL MY STORY!

Its an easy one!!!

Good luck

Edited by JimZ

Not Karol Wojtyla!

He is just a child who died at a very young age.

He was a veritible product of the communist machine.

There are two versions surrounding our characther. The hyped up communist 'legend' ... and what is more likely, the true story.