News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your beautiful posts, so very well done. Unfortunately, few can really understand and appreciate how rare so many of these pieces are.

:speechless1: Kapitular! a SILVER Saxe-Weimar Treuen Kriegern medal? There were only twelve of those awarded (in 1817). In terms of rarity, this is the equivalent of the Red Eagle grand cross with oakleaves and swords awards during WWI.

Joe Campbell?s statement ?to give a fullness to the rich history of the later imperial times, it is necessary to understand the "early times"...? is right on the mark and should encourage all Imperial German collectors to look more closely at this era. Like most, I started with WWI era pieces, but often found myself looking back to see how these pieces had evolved; but then I got hooked on Napoleonic era pieces and found myself working forward.

Naval Mark?s posts (47 & 48) reminded me of another Frankfurt medal, the 1846 medal awarded to the officers and men of the line and landwehr of the region. See below.

Thank you all again and best wishes, :cheers:

Wild Card

• 7 months later...
    Guest Rick Research

From the Traveling Museum :cheers: passing through on an Epson pilgrimage visit:

Frankfurt am Main, Honor Cross for Officers of the Line 1814

According to von Hessenthal and Schreiber, 100 of these were handed over to officers, surgeons, and administrative officials with an award document, while an unspecified unlucky 42 additional persons were handed the paperwwork and told to go buy their own!!!!

Though much faded, this is an ancient original length of ribbon!

Guest Rick Research

Also just passing through on this visit, another Frankfurt am Main cross with quite an interesting story behind it!

Honor Cross for the Officers of the Loyal-remaining Volunteers of the 2nd Landwehr Battalion Fulda

On 30 July 1814 this battalion mutinied and decided to Just Go Home. About 400 NCOs and men grabbed the unit colors and ammunition wagons and shot their way past the 28 officers and 43 NCOs and 136 privates who "remained loyal."

No clue what set the revolt off (simple unhappiness at being drafted? bad food? No pay? they really liked Napoleon?) or what became of the mutineers-- it would be hard to imagine a small city mass-executing its own menfolk, afterwards...

but in any case, these were authorized for private purchase by those officers on 9 September 1814. These were made by Frankfurt silversmith J. H. P. Schott.

A replacemnt ribbon on this one.

The obverse has

Top arm: "Fulda"

Across the middle "G. G. F. (General Gouvernement Frankfurt)

Lower arm: "1814"

Reverse

Top arm: "M.G."

Across middle: "F. D. V."

Bottom arm (incongruously): "1813"

The reverse's cryptic abbreviations standing for "Mit Gott f?r das Vaterland."

Guest Rick Research

Another original ribboned one from the Traveling Museum--

Brunswick Waterloo Medal

To Andr. J?ger of the 3rd J?ger Battalion (both spelled "IAEGER" on the rim naming) which lost 36 dead and 80 wounded.

The Epson gods were MUCH propitiated as the winter solstice nears. :catjava:

Ah-the Brunswick Waterloo medal was always my favorite.

A beautiful example.

Hard won in the woods at Hougemont too. Jager Jager must have seen the old Duke shot and killed at Quatre Bras, as the Jagers were skirmishing in front of him when he was hit (trying to rally his Lieb regiment, who were the sartorial inspiration for the ShutzStaffel) .

The Jagers very large "Aussie" type slouch hats. There is a dispute as to which side was pinned up though.

Edited by Ulsterman

I must say the "quote" on the Frankfurt campaign medal, maybe together with the russian 1812 campaign medal which reads: (translated in German) "Nicht f?r uns/nicht f?r uns / nur / f?r Deinen Namen" are the more original ones, compard to my beloved Kurhessian and even the prussian ones, which they just copied (or was it the other way around.

regards

David

Gentlemen,

Joe Campbell?s statement ?to give a fullness to the rich history of the later imperial times, it is necessary to understand the "early times"...? is right on the mark and should encourage all Imperial German collectors to look more closely at this era. Like most, I started with WWI era pieces, but often found myself looking back to see how these pieces had evolved; but then I got hooked on Napoleonic era pieces and found myself working forward.

Wild Card

Which is just one of the reasons for my interest in the kurhessian ODM, mainly focussing on the Wilhelmsorder the last couple of years. Should anyone have examples of the kurhessian ODM, :jumping: please post pictures :jumping:

regards

David

Hello David M,

You have probably seen this one on the other forum; but I thought that since it is available, I would post it for the members over here.

a Hessen-Kassel 2nd type (1848-1852) Civil Merit Cross.

Wow!!!! :speechless1::speechless1::speechless1: That is just crazy, considering the amount of awards!! What a wonderfull piece! What's the reverse like?