News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gunzenhausen 2010: show your purchases!

Hi Doc,

That's not at all a silly question... but it can quite easely be researched, since the name doesn't sound very common.

Just after a couple of computer clicks I found more info about my Ompteda (as a writer):

Georg Freiherr von Ompteda

Geboren 29.03.1863 , gestorben 10.12.1931.

Der Schriftsteller Georg Frh. von Ompteda wuchs in Wien und Dresden auf, schlug 1883 die Offizierslaufbahn ein und besuchte 1888-91 die Kriegsakademie in Berlin. Nach einem Sturz vom Pferd 1892, der zur Dienstuntauglichkeit führte, mußte Ompteda seinen Abschied einreichen und lebte als freier Schriftsteller in Berlin, Dresden, Meran und München. Er übersetzte die Gesammelten Werke Guy de Maupassants und schrieb zunächst in Anlehnung an Maupassant Gedichte und erotische Novellen. Größere Bekanntheit erlangte er mit seinen späteren gesellschaftskritschen Romanen, in denen er ein neues Adelsethos propagierte, so vor allem in der Trilogie "Deutscher Adel um 1900".

Werke u.a.

1889 Von der Lebensstraße (Lyrik)

1891 Die Sünde. Geschichte eines Offiziers (Roman)

1897 Deutscher Adel um 1900

1898 Eheliche Liebe (Drama)

1911 Die Tochter des großen Georgi (Theaterroman)

1923 Ausgewählte Novellen

1929 Sonntagskind (Autobiographie)

von Ompteda family:

http://www.deutsche-biographie.de/artikelNDB_n19-534-01.html

on the above-mentioned link you find both Omptedas... so they are related. The family Ompteda originally came from the Netherlands; that explains why the name sounds so odd to be German...

Ciao,

Claudio

Attached picture of the older Ompteda writer

post-199-024653500 1287061876_thumb.jpg

Edited by Claudio

You Lucky Dog!!!!!

there is a thread on the good Freiheer earlier-.

See here: same ribbon bar and research...http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=40461&st=0&p=374730&hl=+%20+freiherr%20+ompteda&fromsearch=1&#entry374730

see Nov. 22, 2009- Christian L.'s post in the Imperial german forum.

Thanks Ulsterman!

Oh god... :speechless::speechless: I didn't remember to have read that threat... I would have noticed it immediately in Gunzenhausen, but believe me I couldn't find any of his other bars...

Now I only have to hope that the bigger brother (medal bar) shows up somewhere... :unsure: sooner or later! :whistle: Just patience...

post-199-042612800 1287068360_thumb.jpg

Edited by Claudio

... and the back is even more exciting for a "Godet" fetish like me... the configuration of the needle-pin construction screems Godel all the way, plus it has also a uncommonly seen metal label of the reknown juweller in Berlin as well!

post-199-053343000 1287087045_thumb.jpg

@ Komtur: beautiful small tuxedo civilian medal bar! :beer: I didn't see that bar on dealers table... you must have very quick then! ;) If I had seen it, I would have purchased it as well... :whistle: I am happy for you that you find something nice for your collection. ;)

@ RAO: I remember that Johanniter cross... beautiful! :love: Gold! :beer: ... and also in its case, I believe... ;)

C

and the really great "Honneur & Gloire. Les trésors de la collection Spada." :ninja:

From the National Museum of the Legion of Honor, in Paris... I've seen this exhibition lest year... Wow ! :love::love::love: Og course, I've also bought this book !

:cheers: