News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

German officers with Swedish Order of the Sword

I dont know if its interesting but a lot of German Officers had the RSO and RSO2kl Knight of Sword Order 1st class and 2nd class

maybe it could be some help when trying to indentify a ribbon bar ?

here is a list over German officers and what year they got the award

RSO

von Abeken Hans Navy Com, 1905

von Abel Günther , Rittmeister 1919

von Arnim Joachim Hans Detlev, Navy Com Capt , 1912

Aur von Herrenkirchen Frithiof Wilhelm Rudolf Maria , Major , 1919

von Babo Lambert Karl Hugo , Capt 1919

Baltzer hermann , Navy Capt , 1918

von Barnekow Henning Marten Christoph , Preuss GenMaj 1902

Bartenstein Georg Ludwig bernhard , Preuss Maj 1908

von Baumbach Ludwig Gustolph Moritz , Preuss Col 1908

von Beaulieu-Marconnay Karl August Alexander Oliver , Preuss GenMaj 1907

Becker , Maj 1919

Beckh Albert Hermann Raimond , Bavaria Maj 1915

von Berge und Herrendorff Hans Joachim Lothar Hermann Maxmillian , Preuss LtCol 1899

Bertning Hans , Capt 1919

Bertram Otto Friedrich Ernst Richard , KapitänLeutn 1918

Blanc Eugen Ludwig , Bavaria LeutCol 1904

von Borcke Karl Ludwig Hermann , Preuss Col 1908

von Brandenstein Hans Carl Julius Curt, Col 1910

Bredenbreuker Friedrich , Preuss Capt 1912

von Broich Hans Karl , Preuss LeutnCol 1909

Buchholtz Carl August , Preuss LeutnCol 1894

von Buchwald Christian Gregers Kaspar , Preuss LeutnCol 1894

von Bulmerincq Ludwig Eduard Joachim , Preuss Capt 1908

von Burgsdorff Karl Georg Hans Leo , Preuss Capt 1908

von dem Bussche-Haddenhausen Clamor Otto Hans , Preuss Col 1911

von Bülow Gottfried August Karl friedrich , Preuss Col 1908

Böning Ferdinand Max Franz , Preuss Maj 1908

If anyone is interested I can continou with the rest ;)

Christer

Hi everybody,

Here is what I have found about saxon officers who received the SSC1, SSC2, SSR1 and SSR2

SSC1 (commander cross 1st class of Swedish of the Sword)

- GdI Adolf von Carlowitz

- GL Günter Graf von der Schulenburg

- GL Otto von Tettenborn

SSC2 (commander cross 2nd class of Swedish of the Sword)

- GM Johs Hentschel

- GdI Hand Krug von Nidda

- OLT Wilhelm Philipps

- GL Richard Sachse

- Lt Carl Wahle (in 1937)

SSR1 (knight cross 1st class of Swedish of the Sword)

- GL Felix Barth

- Mj Ralph von Egidy

- O Alex Friedrich

- O Karl Frhr von Koenneritz

- GL Traugott Frhr von Leuckart von Weißdorf

- O Johannes Rothe

- Mj Rudolf Saxe

- O Karl Thilo Schade

SSR2 (knight cross 2nd class of Swedish of the Sword)

- Mj Harry Frhr von Fritsch

- Oblt Fritz Hauptmann

- H Hans Steinbeck

- Mj Ferdinand von Tumpling

- Mj Joachim von Zezschwitz

- H Georg Ziller

That's all I have found for the moment, the research continues ...

Christophe

Hallo all , thanks for the interest , I´m just ready with the RSO 1st Class list in Excel 250 names , I have only the year of award no dates so far but almost every first name wich could be of help. Normally the list say Preuss,, Sachsen , Bayern or Würtemberg. No mention of Army or Airforce but Navy is sometimes written out

I will go on with 2nd class and the higher classes today , I don't know if I can enclose a exc file here ? Otherwise I send the file by email to anyone who is interested

Best regards

Christer

Edited by christerd

Hi Christer

how far back does your data go? I would be interested in any data you had on the kurhessian officers ( I have two who receipt before 1840)

Hmm , until now I haven't made any research on the before WW 1 awards , but the fist Sword Order was 26th September 1748 and it was 100 Officers from GenLt down to LtCol all Swedish at that time. Later that year 256 Majors, Captains and similar got the order making more than 350 Knights already the first year.

The Sword Order was actually only for Swedish military personal , but already in 1749 it was awarded to a foreigner ;)

Then GenLt Count von Schlippenbach from Holland got a Commander class.

in 1752 there was 6 foreign commander class holders, but Knight class was awarded first to a foreigner in 1753 and 1754 Col von Stralenheim and Major von Stralenheim , Then it took 10 years to the next Sword Knight : Russian Col Boretinsky 1764.

And after that it took 40 !! years before an foerigner got a Knight Sword Order.....

1801 got Commander in Danish Navy Sten Bille a Knight Sword Order, Hessian Col Wildemouth 1803 , Bavarian Col von Reichenbach 1804 , Baden Col von Eck 1804.

It was only after the fall of Napoleon that the Sword order started to be more common among foreigners ,then over 200 Knight class was awarded to Foreign officers , 22 Commander class and 19 Great Cross class.

I am going to see what I can find on older awardees, probably everything is the Swedish archives , it just a matter of time to find it :unsure:

i will be back

The list goes on :cheeky:

Now I have all Knight 1st ( RSO) and Knight 2nd (RSO 2kl) ready oldest entries is from 1896-1898

Next is the Commander class Orders , probably ready tomorrow, ( Christophe I got 16 names on Saxons with RSO 2kl ,

and 15 Saxon names with RSO )

Christer

What is the source for this Christer? I'm guessing some old "Statskalender"? You know that a couple are online here:

http://runeberg.org/statskal/

/Kim

Aha Thanks Kim , now I can find some of the older ones from 1850-1870 possible :)

I have just some Commanders 2nd class left now so this weekend the first version is complete I will mail it to everyone interested

Its very interesting reading almost every Noble German seems to be in there :cheeky:

Hold out for a few more days ,

Christer

Ready ! That is for now ;) I have sent a list to Christophe , David and Daniel so far if anyone else is interested just let me now.

I will send updates as soon as I get some more facts , right now it is 537 names in the file

All the best from Sweden

Christer

Hi Christer,

do You have some names from german navy nco with RSO ?

Andreas

Hallo Andreas,

I have some names to Navy , but It dosnt say which rank thay had when thay were awarded (all on the list are officers in 1918). I Sweden all awardedes with RSO was in fact officers , in 1850 a new class of the award (Sword Cross) was instituted to NCOs but I´m not sure if this lower class was ever awarded to foreigners??, The gold one is the RSO and the silver is the Sword Cross

if you send me your email I can

give you the list and you can see if you recognize any names.

I will update it regulary and the goal is to make a complete list as possible

all the best from Sweden

Christer

Edited by christerd

Hallo Christer,

may be I´m wrong, but to be sure I attached a photo from this german Deckoffizier. He has been in

China an may be he got the cross for this campaign ?

My mailadress is dedehansen@gmx.de

Thank You for Your great work

Andreas

An NCO would never have gotten an order, by definition an officer's decoration. As Christer say it's more likley he would get the "Svärdstecknet" Royal Sign of the Sword, which was a NCO decoration. The "Statskalender" used to list those as well but stopped at some time between 1902 and 1919 (not sure what year they stoped). Foreigners were awarded this but very few got it, 1881 calender lists three recipients and 1902 - ten recipients, including some from 1881.

/Kim

I might as well list the germans in the 1902:

Wilhelm Ambach "överbåtsman" German navy awarded 1895

Heinrich Friedrich Christian Jonas Preussian "sergeant" aw. 1899

Frantz Matern "Fyrmästare" German navy aw. 1895

Friedrich Wöhlbier "Musikdirektör" aw. 1895

/Kim

I might as well list the germans in the 1902:

Wilhelm Ambach "överbåtsman" German navy awarded 1895

Heinrich Friedrich Christian Jonas Preussian "sergeant" aw. 1899

Frantz Matern "Fyrmästare" German navy aw. 1895

Friedrich Wöhlbier "Musikdirektör" aw. 1895

/Kim

:jumping:

Super Kim ! I didn¨t know they even awarded this to foreigners . Very interesting I keep on looking in old "Statskalenders" really boring reading I promise :cheeky: But perfect to make you sleep .....

Andreas I send you a copy of the list

Beautiful Photo by the way :cheers:

Christer

When I was looking through an old thread I saw another NCO with "Schwed Schwert Order " but most probably this means

"svärdstecknet" or Royal sign of the Sword" , that makes it much more rare then an ordinary Sword Order!!

see here http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=46774&st=0

OffzStellw Hermann Solcher , from Bayern Inf Lieb Rgt

:jumping:

Christer

Christer,

Some questions:

You just picked out all the Germans from these lists?

Is it perhaps possible that Dutch military and/or citizens awarded this nice Swedish order are also mentioned? And if yes, is this list covering the years 1945-1960?

regards

Herman

Edited by Herman

As Christer is using the Statskalender for his project I belive I can answer some of your questions. Christer lists Germans. But any other nationality could of course be listed IF they got an order before 1940. After this year the Statskalender only list orders to Swedes.

I don't have any reference to books with the info you're looking for Herman. Much of that are only in archives. If you want info on a single person you could try the Royal court, they have all the records there.

/Kim

Thank you Kim ,

I have a new update soon ready , right now about 50 new names . Hopefully I will be ready before christmas :) I send the addition to all

that have got my list before , if anyone else is interested just send me your email adress and I will send you the latest version.

Christer