News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ribbon bar - original, and if so, is identification possible?

Hey Stogie man,

Didn't you assemble and sell German ribbon bars on eBay a few years ago? I think I remember some of your stuff.

Dear Arnim (aka Gerst)

Perhaps you are confusing Stogieman with yourself?

http://myworld.ebay.com/gerst/?_trksid=p4340.l2559

You seem to use these forums as a means to your own end. The amount of reproduction ribbon bars you have made using the images of the originals you find posted here over the years is ridiculous, even if sold as copies.

The gentlemen here post photos from their collections in good faith; not for them to be taken by you and used for your own financial gain. You do not bring anything of substance here just controversial nonsensical arguments.

Matt

If this is true then Arnim's accusations against Sogieman are truly pathetic, really.

Regards,

Sandro

If true the word hypocritical comes to mind.

However, Arnim hasn't logged in since and he might not have had a chance to withdraw or recant his statement. IMO he should be allowed an opportunity to do so before he is pilloried further.

Notably, we haven't heard from Stogieman -and IMO he shouldn't have to respond. A completely unsubstantial accusation doesn't require a protestation of innocence.

Edited by Claudius

Just to add my voice with eveyone else's. I have known Stogieman far less long than the others who have already commented,but from the posts that I have seen he is, like everyone else on this forum except an unfortunate few, a true gentleman who often helps others with their queries or questions. On the other hand, I have never seen you give a positive contribution. Now on to the subject of the bars. If you really are gerst, then shame on you for copying ribbon bars shown on this website for you own gain. Stogieman has a number of bars for sale on this very website, and do you really think that if they were fake they wouldn't be recognised?

Good day to you, sir,

Matthew

Edit: I didn't manage to see Claudius's post above before posting, so if you have a brilliant explanation this is withdrawn.

Edited by redeagleorder

Gentleman, I don't think i need to dignify the comment by a response.

A g0od friend of mine in Germany taught me long ago.

"Never wrestle with a pig. You just get dirty and the pig likes it".

Have a great day!! ;)

Now, back on topic.... it didn't occur to me that the ribbon i thought was faded Hesse is actually faded Baden (now the green thread pulled through makes sense, doesn't it?) The sequence/precedence is certainly odd. However, we see no shortage of bars that are inexplicable, yet genuine.

Hi everybody,

I am very esthonished to see such attack from Arnim to Stogie I don't want to tell same things than others even if I think same thing. But the most important fact I see tonight, is the fact that I have shown one month earlier the ribbon bar of Hermann Keil and one month later a fake of mine is on ebay. This bar is unique and it has taken me lot of hours to make positive id of this man. Of course I don't talk about cost of the bar and the historical regiment unit to have a positive photo of this officer. Your attitude is very chocking and insulting.

This forum is there to help collector. We are a small community and knowledge is the power. But this, I can't imagine such fellony. I think you should make a public apology. We are waiting for this.

Christophe Deruelle

Wow, I should have sent a private message! Please let me explain.

A few years ago, 2005 I think, I decided to duplicate my father's German ribbon bar which was lost after the war. Someone suggested that I look on ebay to see if I could find something similar if not the same - since father had two Heer long service eagles, I could not find such a bar. I did find a seller on ebay who offered to sell me some 15 mm ribbons and two bare brackets so I could make my own. I believe that this was Stogie man and simply wanted to confirm. I recall that the fellow who sold me the stuff was from New Engand. Since he sold ribbons and bare brackets, I assumed that he also assembled the bars. If so, I wanted to ask him if he had any currtent sources. He had sold all of his ribbons and brackets to a fellow in Engand and I wondered if he had found any more. I made no accusation. I simply asked a question.

For all of you chaps who have gone ballistic on me, I believe that you protest too much.

For all of you chaps who have gone ballistic on me, I believe that you protest too much.

Arnim,

Or perhaps you should learn how to express yourself better. There's a big difference between a person selling you some 15 mm ribbons, and accusing a person of "assembl(ing) and sell(ing) German ribbon bars on eBay a few years ago". :shame:

And then there's the issue of you copying bars shown on GMiC and selling them for commercial gain. I don't see you denying that you're ebay seller Grist (in fact, your response seems to imply that you are). Christophe has asked some pertinent questions - perhaps you could enlighten us :anmatcat:

Sandro

Edited by GdC26

I hope he isn't "gerst" - the reason I'm no more showing my bars on the forums.

While they are easy to recognize as modern made, it's not very encouraging to find fakes of "your" collection's bars on eBay.

I don't think so. When a good man's reputation is attack, others should stand up. And by the way Arnim, an apology to Stogieman is still in order.

Ummmmm...I suspect the chap Arnim contacted was Kelly of Kelly's Reproductions Inc. - who lives @ 4 towns over from Stogie. Kellys' contracts with the in-famous Austrian seller for repro medal bars and (I believe) Gerst- as he has the same sorts of ribbon bars on display now at the show in Lowell. He has masses of reproductions for sale at @$1 each- but if one rummages through the dross, sometimes one finds something original amidst the junk (like Pakistani or Jordanian medals).

Gentlemen,

I am deeply sorry to have offended you and I meant no disrespect to the Stogie man. I apologize for the implication in my question to him.

I ask that I be deleted as an active member of the forum. This is not the place for me. I wish you all the best.

Gentlemen,

I am deeply sorry to have offended you and I meant no disrespect to the Stogie man. I apologize for the implication in my question to him.

I ask that I be deleted as an active member of the forum. This is not the place for me. I wish you all the best.

Hello Arnim;

Please don't go away angry. If you re-read your earlier post without the benefit of knowing what you intended, but only on the face value of the statement, you might see how we mis-understood your meaning.

I can't speak for Stogieman, but you apologized and made an effort to explain yourself. Along with Ulsterman's additional information I think we can see where misunderstandings lead us all down this path.

You have shown your civility in your reply. Allow us a chance to return civility to you.