News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Since the LS Medal is an enlisted grade award, wouldn't #2 more likely be the Zahringen Merit Cross?

Hi Beau,

the Zähringer Merit Cross has different ribbons

- for military merit, the ribbon from the Militär Carl Friedich Verdienstorden

- for civil merit, yellow ribbon with small green side stripes

Regards

Andreas

Assuming the uniform and bar do go together, there are about a half-dozen people listed in the 1913 Baden Court and State Handbuch under the Forst- u. Domänedirektion with the LD2 and the Regierungsjubiläumsmedaille, who also received a Zähringen Lion in World War I.  So you might be able to get a list of possibilities.

Of course, that assumes the bar and uniform weren't put together at a later date.  Also, someone could have gotten his LD2 after the 1913 Court and State was compiled. 

Then, if you figure out which ones were still around in 1938, you might narrow it down further.  Not 100% certainty, but at least a few good possibilities might arise.

Thanks for your reply!

The set was just recently found as one in a house clearence in Vichy France. Probably a vet bring back, I cant imagine a Fôrster having buisiness to attempt to in Vichy at the end of the war....

• 6 years later...

From the mounting traces, the Zähringer Lion order was one with oaks, almost certainly a knight's cross 2nd class with oak leaves and swords. This could certainly help to narrow it down further...

;)

On 26/10/2015 at 21:57, ixhs said:

and remove the hindy cross for buying a new one.

I really don't get why anyone would do this, but everyone's entitled to their opinion. Replacing missing awards, of course, is something totally else...