News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

it's a beautiful merit medal awarded during WW1 to a German. 

The more I study the less I understand awarding of medals and orders rom Turkey to Germans. 

On 6/17/2016 at 16:18, Signalcorps45 said:

Dave,

What does that mean?  Everything I have seen shows this medal being issued in 1915.  Please help. 

Dean

Honestly, I don't know.  1332 does correspond to the start of the war in August 1914, so maybe the dating is like the French Croix de Guerre or various bars to some German decorations like the medal of the Saxe-Ernestine Order from Saxe-Coburg & Gotha.  I don't have my Turkish reference works at hand.

On 6/20/2016 at 16:27, Dave Danner said:

Honestly, I don't know.  1332 does correspond to the start of the war in August 1914, so maybe the dating is like the French Croix de Guerre or various bars to some German decorations like the medal of the Saxe-Ernestine Order from Saxe-Coburg & Gotha.  I don't have my Turkish reference works at hand.

Dave,

Thanks for checking anyway.  I did find this website, maybe you can make some sense of it.

http://www.ottoman-uniforms.com/ottoman-turkish-orders-medals-an-overview/

chuck and ccj thank you for the nice comments.

Dean

According to that site, and to Wikipedia, from 1840 to 1926 the Ottomans used for certain purposes the Rumi calendar. Rumi means Roman and refers to a modified Julian calendar.  Apparently, they adopted it as the Islamic calendar is lunar, and the length of the year is thus shorter than the solar year.  By the Rumi calendar, 1332 equals 1916.  Still no idea why they would specifically use that date on the medal bar.  Ottoman coins can be even more annoying, since they often used regnal years. So all coins under a sultan would have the same year when he came to power, and another number elsewhere on the coin for how many years into his reign the coin was minted.

Dave thanks for the explanation. I have this problem with Afghan awards and decorations where they changed for lunar to solar Hejira and around the change period they sometimes used both.

Paul

turkish-militaria.com

Mr Canbaz has a great collection.

The sabers were given for war merit and  imo the written date is correct.

It looks like a turkish made one.

I have 3 bars with a liakat on it.

But ask our turkish member Demir. If i am right there are also fakes out there.

• 6 years later...

Here is a photo of a group I found several years ago.  It has two Liakat medals, one with swords and the other without.   It's particularly nice as the Hannover shop of Paul Hadrbolec has put his "tailor tag" on the bar.

Obv .jpeg

Rev.jpeg

43 minutes ago, azyeoman said:

Here is a photo of a group I found several years ago.  It has two Liakat medals, one with swords and the other without.   It's particularly nice as the Hannover shop of Paul Hadrbolec has put his "tailor tag" on the bar.

Obv .jpeg

Rev.jpeg

Hi Azteoman,

Sorry for being a little of topic. Was the Wound badge produced by Paul Hadrbolec? It appears to be a WWII era type badge as it has a solid back.

Regards

Chuck 

5 hours ago, chuck said:

Hi Azteoman,

Sorry for being a little of topic. Was the Wound badge produced by Paul Hadrbolec? It appears to be a WWII era type badge as it has a solid back.

Regards

Chuck 

No, it’s just a WWI silver one that has a silver back added. Look at the obverse and you’ll see it’s the WWI helmet. 🙂

Cheers,