News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Finally after many years ...part 2

Many years ago I posted a thread called "Finally after many years" showing a project of mine which took many years to complete. I have always (since I was a kid actually) wanted to replicate Manfred von Richthofen's  Ordenskissen as it was displayed at his 1925 reburial in Berlin.  At that time I had a copies for the Pour Le Merite and for the Red Eagle Order, 3 Class, with Crown and Swords. Fortunately, I have been able to acquire original pieces for those awards.  All pieces here are, to the best of my knowledge, time period original. The only reproduction is of course the ribbon bar.

Richthofen's Ordenskissen in 1925 had a Crowned Bavarian  MVO , but we now know that he only got the MVO 4th with Swords. How that Crowned piece got into his medal bar is a mystery so far.

62-D8877-E-6553-4663-829-F-7778854-F2-A9

Richthofen original Ordenskissen:

01-EFFEF3-B6-A2-4-E6-B-BE7-F-D4-EFF0-DC8

Wow, that is one amazing project to work on, congrats on finding all the pieces :cheers:

I love the color overview of all the different medals, thanks for sharing :jumping:

Edited by drspeck

2 hours ago, GMU said:

Thanks. Without any doubt the most difficult piece to get is the RAO3 with crown and swords.....

Indeed, there aren't many recipients, do You know the original recipient of yours?

Great work! looks very nice.

Kind regards!

104A91B5-38F4-47C6-AE3B-4CBF7212EFA3.jpg

772E064F-282C-49A8-9BE2-B42B349BC519.jpg

54D90912-81D8-49CD-A9F9-A6032C2C7307.jpg

C96DDA76-55B8-42EF-ACF5-FD4BF16F487E.jpg

880EBBCD-C9B7-44D1-9472-F4B8BBF0B4E3.jpg

It is made in gold by Wagner. 

2 hours ago, Utgardloki said:

Indeed, there aren't many recipients, do You know the original recipient of yours?

Great work! looks very nice.

Kind regards!

Unfortunately, I do not know who the recipient was...

B13E4173-4E3C-4C46-ABC1-DF274A0FA62D.jpg

2E1515BB-D142-4AEF-A65E-CCEDBE8E17F7.jpg

Edited by GMU

• 2 years later...

Beautiful. That is a labor of love for sure.  I did it once myself, however I never got the PLM and RAO3X.  I substituted a S&L PLM and original RAO4x.  My SCG medal also had an incorrect date clasp.  I also never found the other Turkish medal, Fun project.  Well done.

I ended up disassembling the ribbon bar I had constructed and returned the decorations to their original ribbons.

1Dan's Medals 011.jpg

Not to derail the original threads and his beautiful  project.

Years on, I'm wondering if it was a copy. (Its been more than 20 years ago) Looked great and had a good feel. All subjective of course.

lippe obv.jpg

lippe rev.jpg

Edited by Daniel Cole
    added info

On 14/04/2020 at 02:02, GMU said:

Many years ago I posted a thread called "Finally after many years" showing a project of mine which took many years to complete. I have always (since I was a kid actually) wanted to replicate Manfred von Richthofen's  Ordenskissen as it was displayed at his 1925 reburial in Berlin.  At that time I had a copies for the Pour Le Merite and for the Red Eagle Order, 3 Class, with Crown and Swords. Fortunately, I have been able to acquire original pieces for those awards.  All pieces here are, to the best of my knowledge, time period original. The only reproduction is of course the ribbon bar.

Richthofen's Ordenskissen in 1925 had a Crowned Bavarian  MVO , but we now know that he only got the MVO 4th with Swords. How that Crowned piece got into his medal bar is a mystery so far.

62-D8877-E-6553-4663-829-F-7778854-F2-A9

Richthofen original Ordenskissen:

01-EFFEF3-B6-A2-4-E6-B-BE7-F-D4-EFF0-DC8

Well done Collector's Dream

On 09/12/2022 at 09:48, filfoster said:

Here is my re-do of the uniform he wore to a friend's wartime wedding (sadly, all repro):

Very nice display congratulations. I still need to get an Ulanka from Manfred v Richthofen's regiment.  I have an original Ulanka that belonged to Rittmeister Alfred Schmidt, Reg Nr 18.

u23mu.jpg

Photo_Sep_25,_6_05_25_PM.jpg

u65oi.jpg

On 10/12/2022 at 16:57, Daniel Cole said:

Beautiful. That is a labor of love for sure.  I did it once myself, however I never got the PLM and RAO3X.  I substituted a S&L PLM and original RAO4x.  My SCG medal also had an incorrect date clasp.  I also never found the other Turkish medal, Fun project.  Well done.

I ended up disassembling the ribbon bar I had constructed and returned the decorations to their original ribbons.

1Dan's Medals 011.jpg

Thanks Daniel, I remember your display very well.  Yes, those pieces are hard to get. A long time ago, while talking about my project with the late Neal W O' Connor, he told me that the hardest piece to come by was the RAO3KrX. Wow was he right! It took me a long, long time, to pick up one. Very scarce piece indeed.

Edited by GMU

On 10/12/2022 at 16:57, Daniel Cole said:

My SCG medal also had an incorrect date clasp…

That is correct. Richthofen’s SCG date clasp was certainly unique. It was a 1916 date clasp with two banderoles showing the date and month of the action for his award ( Nov 9, 1916). However, the banderole  shows 11 and 11.

here is a close up of MvR’s SCG award

6-DC2-A666-7-F7-C-42-E1-A240-53888316-B6

Regarding the Saxe Coburg Gotha award, I have been able to improve the piece from the one I had posted before. I was able to find a SCG with the correct 1916 swords clasp, but no banderoles ….

BFB32C98-9EE7-487A-BEB5-789A23F1963A.jpg

C248DA53-95D2-451C-B173-E78EE8E87045.jpg

I only ever saw one  RAO3KrX for sale and it was from Medalnet. It like a PLM were just out of budget. I never saw an Imtiaz for sale before I finished.  

That SCG medal i've never seen one with the proper clasp style for sale.  Somewhere in these pages is a post of a really nice one.