News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Dormancy of the Swedish Order of the Sword and the Vasa Order

Dear fellow collectors,

Could any of the more knowledgeable collectors explain why some Swedish Orders have gone dormant during the seventies? Was there a definite choice not to award them any longer without disbanding the order or have their simply not been any people eligible? Does it have to do with costs perhaps?

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

Hello!

In the change of constitution in 1974 when the king lost all his political power the government decided to stop awarding orders to Swedish citizens. The main reason was that it was a thing of the past and the abolishment of different social classes. All citizens are equal and to differentiate with the use of orders was unappropriate. 

The order of the Sword and Order of Vasa was declared "resting" but still existing, just not awarded anymore. The order of the North star is still awarded but only to foreigners and members of the royal house. Same thing with the order of the Seraphim. 

So today it's impossible for a "normal" Swedish citizen to receive a Swedish royal order.   

Hopefully the orders will be "re-instituted" in a near future. 

Glad to be of assistance. :)

It’s a very simplified explanation but at least it’s something. 

The discussion about abolishing the orders had been going on since the 1800s. But as long as the king had power, the governmemt couldn’t abolish them. When the power was transferred to the government they could. 

Talking about how all the citizens should be equal so they abolished some orders which resulted in the fact that a normal citizen couldn't get one while some orders that remained are awarded only to foreigners and members of the royal house...Does this sound even more unequal and unfair or is it just me?

14 hours ago, JohanH said:

It’s a very simplified explanation but at least it’s something. 

Dear Johan, 

Would you also happen to know what is being done with all the left-over decorations? Sweden like most European countries demands their decorations back and I suppose most recipients since 1974 have died. Are the orders being melted down or are they stored for later?

I have no idea, but it's a question I have been thinking of. 

If they have kept all orders that were sent in after the recipients death, they must have enormous amounts of orders in stock.  

Just the commander class of the order of the Sword have been awarded just over 5000 times since it's institution. 

But it's a question worth asking the royal chancellery about. 

The royal palace have a very impressive collection of orders in exhibition.
    So if you ever go to Stockholm, it's well worth a visit. 

19 minutes ago, JohanH said:

True, in their well sorted library you can also find my books on the duchy of Brunswick. Thats a fact that I am pretty proud of. 

18 hours ago, laurentius said:

Dear Johan, 

Would you also happen to know what is being done with all the left-over decorations? Sweden like most European countries demands their decorations back and I suppose most recipients since 1974 have died. Are the orders being melted down or are they stored for later?

17 hours ago, JohanH said:

I have no idea, but it's a question I have been thinking of. 

If they have kept all orders that were sent in after the recipients death, they must have enormous amounts of orders in stock.  

Just the commander class of the order of the Sword have been awarded just over 5000 times since it's institution. 

But it's a question worth asking the royal chancellery about. 

I have a friend at the chancellery and he said that they havent taken back any orders for many many years. They try to get back the order of North Star and the order of the seraphime because they are still given out. 

Some countries send a person to colllect the order after a person died but Sweden dont do that.