News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 4 weeks later...
    13 hours ago, drspeck said:

Currently on ebay

315A.png

315B.png

This Randow Cross was made by Alexander Chickolov as a collector's copy. While he never set out to deceive with his various creations, they have been bought by unscrupulous dealers and have now entered the general market as supposed originals. All his copies are marked with the same bogus Russian hallmark and the number 595.

@drspeck : I just wanted to express my sincere appreciation to our Doctor Bacon for keeping this thread up-to-date on the fakes being offered and sold by this despicable fraudster.  I believe this thread will ultimately serve as an important "Lehrgeld" -resource for collectors who were duped by this con artist and will also educate collectors on the merits of doing their homework before spending their hard-earned money on garbage.

I am adding a medal bar to this thread that was constructed by the Schraegstich Faker but sold by an eBay seller who routinely sells authentic militaria.  I have a sense that this seller figured-out he bought a fake bar and then resold it on eBay to a clueless buyer.    

s-l1600-0.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600-4.jpg

s-l1600-5.jpg

Dickdelicious eBay.jpg

Edited by Simius Rex

4 hours ago, Gensui said:

This one is already known to the market for a couple of years. I remember it was offered to me four or five years ago.   BR, Chris 

Nevertheless, the medal bar shown has all the earmarks of the Schraegstich Faker's work.  The medals are fake except for the EK2, FEK, and Long Service Cross.  All the ribbons are modern except (strangely enough) the Colonial Denkmuenze ribbon.  The case originally held medical or dental instruments of some kind.

10 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

Nevertheless, the medal bar shown has all the earmarks of the Schraegstich Faker's work.  The medals are fake except for the EK2, FEK, and Long Service Cross.  All the ribbons are modern except (strangely enough) the Colonial Denkmuenze ribbon.  The case originally held medical or dental instruments of some kind.

...and the battle clasps, too.

BR, Chris

19 hours ago, Simius Rex said:

@drspeck : I just wanted to express my sincere appreciation to our Doctor Bacon for keeping this thread up-to-date on the fakes being offered and sold by this despicable fraudster.

At your service :)👍

Here are a couple of recent ones

365A.png

365B.png

365C.png

365D.png

365E.png

365F.png

365G.png

366A.png

366B.png

367A.png

367B.png

367C.jpg

368A.png

368B.png

368C.png

369A.png

369B.png

369C.png

369D.png

369E.png

369F.png

370A.png

370B.png

370C.png

371A.png

371B.png

371C.png

372A.png

372C.png

372D.png

373A.png

373B.jpg

374A.png

374B.png

375A.png

375B.jpg

375C.jpg

375D.png

375E.png

376A.png

376B.png

376C.png

376D.png

377A.png

377B.png

377C.png

377D.png

378A.png

378B.png

378C.png

378D.png

379A.png

379B.png

379C.png

379D.png

380A.png

380B.png

380C.png

380D.png

381A.png

381B.png

381C.png

381D.png

382A.png

382B.png

382C.png

383A.png

383B.png

7 hours ago, dond said:

Is this current ebay offering not one as well?

s-l1600 - 2022-12-05T093516.387.jpg

s-l1600 - 2022-12-05T093528.069.jpg

Considering the absurd combination of awards coupled with the ridiculous number of awards, there is little doubt that this bar is a postwar fake.  However, it is not the work of the Schrägstich Faker.   It actually has the characteristics of the Austrian Faker's bars.

Most notably, the Schrägstich Faker uses well made fake awards for his bars except for the Iron Cross, the FEK, and a few other original awards that are inexpensive.   In contrast, the Austrian Fakers bars have genuine awards from the period.

The Schrägstich Faker uses modern ribbons with chain-stitch and whip-stitch weave patterns.  The Austrian Faker uses authentic, pre-1945 period ribbons with warp and weft weave patterns.

The Schrägstich Faker mounts his ribbons in a style that Germans term "Kraus-genäht" resulting in a bold, pleated, fan-shaped ruffle at the base.   The Austrian Faker's ribbons are neatly overlapped on the front, but his pleating technique on the bottom is a bit sloppy and crowded.  Most of the time, the ribbons are just stretched top to bottom with no attempt at ruffles at all.

And last but not least, the Schrägstich Faker's bars feature his bold, diagonal stitching style on the backing cloth which has become his trademark and the basis for his notorious moniker "Schrägstich".

Edited by Simius Rex

5 hours ago, dond said:

Thanks for the reply. I once had an Austrian bar made by the Austrian faker.  It had several fake medals on it including a KK Signum Laudis in silver.

It would be helpful if you could post a picture of this bar.  It should also be noted that several imperial Austrian awards were reproduced by private companies during the interwar period as replacements for lost or damaged pieces much like EKs and other imperial German awards.  They were classified as "Spangenstücke" or "Zweitstücke" and did not have the sharp details of the originals.  There was recently a discussion in this forum relating to this topic.