News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Some reconaissance from Moscow Museums

• Replies 100
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably a good "museum" copy... What do you think ?

Ch.

That's what it looks like. The last time I was there they had Zhukov's on display and it was literally jaw dropping... which is something I wouldn't exactly use in the description of this one! Normally, they are kept in the Gold Fund (is that what it's called???? I can't remember exactly) next to the Armoury in the Kremlin.

Dave

Guest Rick Research

:beer: The Mystery Award in post #19 says it is a commemorative Medal awarded in Spain to D. G. Pavlov (whose portrait/bio are alongside), obtained from the KGB in 1963.

Did they have Lower Comrades, or only all too many Lenins to wear?

Say "hi" to Dr. B from all of us, with our gratitude and admiration!

Those are some outstanding awards and uniforms, that's for sure. I'd like to see as many photos as you would care to post here. I know that I'll want your advice on what to see and where to go before I visit next year.

Thanks a million. Much better than seeing them in a book. Add as much commentary as you feel comfortable with. I learn with each post.

Chuck

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much for sharing these fantastic pictures! If you do have more, please do share them.

One thing that struck me as odd is that the group in post #7 has the usual (HSU, Lenins, ORB?s) and some nice foreign decorations, there are no defense or capture medals. Do you have any ideas or information as to why?

Again, thank you and keep ?em coming.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Ed,

Thank you so much for sharing these fantastic pictures! If you do have more, please do share them.

One thing that struck me as odd is that the group in post #7 has the usual (HSU, Lenins, ORB?s) and some nice foreign decorations, there are no defense or capture medals. Do you have any ideas or information as to why?

Again, thank you and keep ?em coming.

Best wishes,

Wild Card

Hi Wild Card,

I don't know what Ed will answer... but IMHO, just for reasons linked to the display... I can't think any other reason.

Ch.

Oh, one final one, for any Third Reich collectoirs who may stray over here . . .

This seems a "traditional" display in Soviet Museums... There is an equivalent one on the Museum of the Blockade of Leningrad, in St Petersburg.

Ch.

Hi Wild Card,

I don't know what Ed will answer... but IMHO, just for reasons linked to the display... I can't think any other reason.

Ch.

Good guess. Christophe's answer is as good as mine.

I assume that is all they had. The (very) attractive young lady leading me through the collection had few answers (and found my interest in medals very odd) though, otherwise, she knew her stuff.

Almost no groups of any kind to be seen in Ulanbaatar (so far), but some very nice singles. (But museum photos elusive, so far.)

Ed

It says in your post that the pictures come mainly from the Central Museum of the Armed Forces in Moscow. What are they other places that features some of your pictures? I'll be their in 2 months so I do not want to miss what I missed last time I was in Moscow!

By the way, thank you very for the sneak preview before I get there!

Hi Soviet,

Just a note to you and any other Forum members who might be fortunate enough to be able to visit the museums in the Moscow area. If you are interested in Soviet aircraft, Monino is well worth a visit; and Kubinka has probably the world?s largest and most varied collection of tanks.

Have a great trip and best wishes, :cheers:

Wild Card

• 1 month later...

"Before" and "after" pins from the KGB/FSB Border Guards Museum in Moscow. Once they discerned my odd interest (well, they thought it was odd), they humoured me with these pins.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 3 weeks later...

Ed,

I have been to the Museum of the GPW at Park Pobedi but I was disappointed with it. Many of the Soviet medal groups on display are obvious copies. I asked some Russian collector friends about this and they said that it is infamous for showing replica groups, they keep the originals in the vaults. While nice for security it is not good for the likes of you or me.

When do you plan to visit Moscow again ?

Regards,

Paul

Agreed completely, Paul. I found that quite disappointing. Bad fakes at that! At least most of the medals at the Central Museum of the Armed Forces, the Museum of the Revoluition ("Museum of Contemporary History"), and FSB (KGB) Border Guards Museum were real, though the armed forces museum was #1.

Not sure when I'll be back, soon I hope ;)

The exterior of the GPW museum was more interesting than the interior . . .

Ed,

If you keep posting these museum pictures I'm going to find a way to go to Moscow with my Service Dog!!!

Also, next time you see "Stalin", my apartment complex is in dire need of good security and a good old fashioned house cleaning (A few people to evict). If "Stalin remembers How :cheeky: LOL

Best,

Doc

Edited by Riley1965