News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Guest Rick Research

It's Jacques Cousteau, Senior!!!!

Not!

Don't I wish I had one in my files! Where the Evil Ricky has seen this face is on the wall of my office, because

That is my OTHER Hero, star of my undergraduate Honors Thesis, General der Artillerie Friedrich Freiherr Kress von Kressenstein (1870-1948) in Reichsheer uniform sometime between 1921 and 1923--when he was promoted to Generalleutnant. He's still a Generalmajor here.

On my walls hang photos of my cats, Lyndon Baines Johnson, and Friedrich Freiherr Kress von Kressenstein...

this mid-war photo I 1970s photocopied from a book at my Alma Mater (a nest of Enemy Aliens 1917-18). rolleyes.gifshame.gif

[attachmentid=10816]

I have never seen Sal's photo pose before, nor him wearing a seemingly BROKEN ribbon bar! He is, BTW, wearing less than HALF of his awards, since he was a Pour le Merite holder, etc etc etc. That must be his "fatigue uniform" look. cheeky.gif

Is this for sale someplace?

Guest Rick Research

Yup. He had EVERYTHING. Often only wore his two Max Josephs, leaving off the Pour le Merites.

Signed this:

[attachmentid=10817]

But mostly, stopped Adolf Hitler on the night of 8/9 November 1923 and gave the world ten more years without Der F?hrer.

Guest Rick Research

Oskar was "my" Friedrich's cousin. Oskar was the son of Gen d Inf aD Friedrich Frh K v K and Nina v Quist. Oskar had a brother Friedrich (there were LOTS of Friedrichs in the family) and a brother Alexander who was killed in 1916.

Like von Kress von Kressenstein, the General von Lossow has done the same against the Hitler's putsch in November 1923. I have seen one film (named Hitler) inwhich we can see the Generals of the Reichswehr fight against the putchiste and we can see von Lossow with the ribbon bar like the photo.

Christophe

Hi Sal, Hi Rick,

Is it his brother's medal bar?

Ciao,

Claudio

Hold on-what is the round silver medal squashed between the Leopold Commemorative and the Wedding medal?? The silver Crown Prince Rupprecht medal??

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

speechless1.gif Christophe-- where did you get that photo of Generalleutnant Otto von Lossow? It was obviously taken at the same time by the same photographer as Sal's Frieherr Kress von Kressenstein one!!!! speechless1.gif

Poor Otto was out of his depth as a political General. Kress saved his bacon in the Caucasus in 1918, and rescued him again from Nazi captivity on the night of the Beer Hall Putsch, issuing orders while von Lossow dithered.

That is his China Medal. He was entitled to bars "Fouphing" and "Huolo."