News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hello Jan Arne

That's a good looking lamp. :jumping: I took the liberty to post one of mine. It's a variation of yours, in that it has a carrying handle, instead of a hook. The markings are similar to yours.

Regards

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

• 3 weeks later...

Nope ! Dont have any pics of these lamp in use .

But all I have seen have come from LW Lager Haslemoen , where the Germans had a Airport and some of there largest stores in Norway under the War.

Have seen a lot of these Local in the area .

Jan Arne

• 3 weeks later...
    • 6 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Hi Jan ...I've never seen these associated with Luftwaffe landing strips . I think these were always called Panzer service lights used by mechanics. If you look on post #3 you can see the name -

"Einheitspanzerlampe" ..nothing Luft related stamped on it. Unless ..maybe some Luftwaffe mechanics used them as well ?

They are pretty heavy duty and made to put up with quite a bit of abuse so , I guess that's possible.

Hi Jan ...I've never seen these associated with Luftwaffe landing strips . I think these were always called Panzer service lights used by mechanics. If you look on post #3 you can see the name -

"Einheitspanzerlampe" ..nothing Luft related stamped on it. Unless ..maybe some Luftwaffe mechanics used them as well ?

They are pretty heavy duty and made to put up with quite a bit of abuse so , I guess that's possible.

Hello Mike

These lamps are stamped, with the "Betriebs amt Luftwaffe", and the Luftwaffe catalogue nummber "Fl. 56211". I guess mechanic's could have used them, but I have allways heard them described as lamps used for marking emergency landing strips. I have never seen this theory confirmed in any wartime manuals, or contemporary books, so I guess they could have been used for other purposes allso, but they are most definately approved by the Luftwaffe. I own two of these lamps, and they are both Luftwaffe approved.

All the best :cheers:

Snoopy

Why would it be marked "Einheitspanzerlampe" then ?

Could you post a picture of the "Betriebs amt Luftwaffe" stamp ..is it an ink stamping?

I'll look through my books to see what I can find on them, you've got me wondering now.

Could you post a picture of the "Betriebs amt Luftwaffe" stamp ..is it an ink stamping?

I'll look through my books to see what I can find on them, you've got me wondering now.

Although the word Panzer is synonymous with tanks in the English-speaking world, it also refers to "armoured", i.e. strengthened, items when used in German engineering jargon.

Therefore, the lamp is probably designed and built to withstand general heavy-duty airfield use.

Hello Mike

These lamps are stamped, with the "Betriebs amt Luftwaffe", and the Luftwaffe catalogue nummber "Fl. 56211". I guess mechanic's could have used them, but I have allways heard them described as lamps used for marking emergency landing strips. I have never seen this theory confirmed in any wartime manuals, or contemporary books, so I guess they could have been used for other purposes allso, but they are most definately approved by the Luftwaffe. I own two of these lamps, and they are both Luftwaffe approved.

All the best :cheers:

Snoopy

Hello!

I agree with You.

All the best

Nesredep

Hello Mike

This is a close up of the "BAL" marking, on one of my lamps.

Alle the best

Snoopy

Thanks for posting that Snoopy but you know ...I've looked through both the Luft and Army 3 volume Angolia sets and most of the reference I have and I still can't lock this design in. Why would they make a design that ,if it was meant to stand up by itself, why wouldn't it have a wider base to maintain its balance? It would be cheaper and easier to wire lights to a generator or just use "smudge pots" (Lanterns with a flame). Then I looked at the way the Light is made and , it looks not only waterproof, but also spark (explosion) proof as well ...that would explain why the heavy duty threaded (screw on) battery. I started searching the web and found a close "relative" ...Miners Lamps.

look at this site you'll see almost the same design- http://64.233.179.104/translate_c?hl=en&am...l%3Den%26sa%3DG

Miners lamp..Bunkers, Tunnels , also a safety light

I kept searching and found another Thread on a different forum where it looks like they were talking about the same lights ...here's a post done by "Kongo Otto"--

Diese Lampe hat nix mit der Luftwaffe zu tun.

Bei dem abgebildeten Teil handelt es sich um eine Gruben Lampe

Typ: Akku Handlampe Dominit EPL

Akku Handlampe mit Gestellst?ben aus Blechstreifen.

Gefertigt von der Firma Dominit Grubenlampenwerk AG, Dortmund

Manch wurden auch mit der milit?rischen Herstellerkennzeichnung "ezy" versehen.

Baujahr um 1940

Auch alternativ gefertigt von der Firma Friemann & Wolf GmbH Zwickau/Sachsen.

Wurden von der Firma CEAG noch bis in die 1950er

Jahre gefertigt.

Here's the thread --

http://forums-de.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/...23/m/2441063275

I remember them being called and sold as Panzer mechanic light but , I can see where use of the word "Panzer" could mean only "heavy duty" as David Gregory said ..maybe these have been mis-labeled for years ..No doubt they are WW2 German but , maybe these are just Utility lamps for use in Bunkers or general purpose. I bet working around Aircraft Fuel would be a problem with a normal battery Torch.

I think the answer is out there somewhere but , I just don't believe these were runway lights ..not large/bright enough , not balanced (if close enough, prop blast from the first plane would prob blow it over) It looks like it was meant to be hand held ..not mounted .

Many times I've read where they'd line a landing-strip with cars and trucks and use the Headlamps to light up the runway ..not flashlights

Maybe I'm wrong here but , I'm not gonna jump on the first answer wagon ..there must be documentation someplace.

Hello Mike

The only thing I know for certain about these lamps, is that they are approved by the Luftwaffe, and that at least one of my lamps, was found at the german airfield Haslemoen, in Norway. I have never seen any documentation, regarding these lamps, other than what I was told by the man, that I got it from. The lamp is marked with the Luftwaffe "FL." number, and should for that reason be mentioned, in a "FL." number inventory list, but I have never seen one of these lists. I agree that these lamps could have been used around fuel dumps, and for other purposes. On an uneven grass grass airfield, they would probably be difficult to get to stand up straight. Keep me posted, if you find more information, about these lamps. I would be grateful.

All the best

Snoopy

Edited by Snoopy

Thanks Snoopy ..and thanks for not thinking I?m arguing with you. I always thought these lights were cool and just accepted the ?description? our collecting world has given them ..I never really looked into them before this and I find myself now re-thinking my position. This thread has actually raised a lot of un-answered questions for me now and I doubt they were meant for only Mechanics or only Landing lights.

--Are there others Army or Navy marked ?

--Why encase the battery like that unless it was re-chargeable ?

(that "CEAG" company website shows they specialize in special Batteries still today)

--Is the on-off switch complicated making it ?explosion-proof??

--If used outdoors & in Combat areas ..why no provisions for a blackout attachment like most Carbide Lanterns & Flashlight lamps have ?

--Could the Red-Lense versions be for outdoor night use ?

--Is the Bulb the same size as the 4-1/2 Volt flashlight that attached to Uniform button ?

I?ll keep an eye out for period photos and some of my manuals ..if I find anything I?ll let you know.

Whatever the story is ..it is still a piece of History and a nice addition to any Collection.