News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

House Order of Hohenzollern - info needed

Hmpf.

That might be the MWB published Lt d.R. Heck on the 31.10.1918, Staatsanzeiger had him 03.10.1918.

As in that times the delay was between 6 weeks and 3 months, it might fit...if Die Presse got the info very soon after the award.

Best,

Daniel

Another Schmidt, Major Georg Schmidt from IR 61. As I understand, this cannot be the Georg Schmidt who was commander of IR 82. 

From Die Presse, 28.5.1918 

schmidtgeorg.png

This might be the same Schmidt, published by a different (his former?) regiment, but not sure. His career would have to be checked. 

Die Presse, 24.5.1918

schmidt2.png

yes, indeed the same one, confirmed here (Die Presse, 23.5.1918):

schmidt3.png

just a chance find, Waldeck is not very common: Unteroffizier Kurt Schwarz from IR 83 is listed in the Waldeck lists, though without first name:

From Die Presse, 19.5.1918

schwarzk.png

Edited by webr55

Regarding W. Heck, there is a Lt.d.R. Wilhelm Heck who received the ÖM3K with RIR 265. I have nothing further on him or any other W. Hecks. No Hecks from Gr. Czyste in the Verlustlisten and no Hecks in RIR 265 there. The name is almost entirely found along the Rhine and Main rivers and nearby communities, not in West Prussia. 

The same source also has info about another member of the same Burschenschaft, a Hauptmann Eggers.

The Jan/Feb 1918 issue mentions his HHOX:

This is not Hptm Friedrich Eggers, he got his HHOX already in 1916. 

eggers1.png

He also got the ÖM3K, which is mentioned in the May/June 1917 issue - but still no first name:

eggers3.png

ok, so he was Hptm dR in RIR 232, at least when the Sep/Okt/Nov 1916 issue came out:

eggers4.png

In Jan 1915, he was Olt dR in IR 77. Still no first name. 

eggers5.png

This is strange: The first issue of this Burschenschaft journal from 1914 lists an Eggers as Hptm already, also from IR 77. Period mistake?

eggers6.png

Ah ok, the same issue mentions his promotion to Hauptmann: 

eggers7.png

Edited by webr55

Good detective work! His name is Dietrich Eggers, according to the verlustlisten. Ok I have another Schmidt - I believe his first name is Waldemar Schmidt from IR 75. This is from the Bremer Zeitung dated 01st December 1942. Perhaps someone can provide more details on this man. 

waldemar schmidt.jpg

Hptm W. Würtz is Went from IR 148.

The "Hptm Hoffmann from Bromberg" is Alfred Paul Christian Hoffmann, *11.2.1883 in Posen, †5.4.1946 in Berlin-Dahlem. He was born in Posen, his father was a Rechnungsrat in Bromberg. He was an Oberleutnant in IR 21, promoted to Hauptmann on 10.10.14, commanded to the General Staff, retained in the Reichswehr, promoted to Major with an RDA of 1.4.25* and to Oberstleutnant on 1.2.30. In the 1932 ranklist, he was commander of the 3.Nachrichten-Abteilung and was retired as an Oberstleutnant at some point after that. If he was in the Wehrmacht, I have not come across him. His 1946 death certificate lists him as a "Schriftsteller" without reference to his military rank.

Amtsrichter Dietrich Eggers from IR 77 was promoted to Hptm.d.R. on 30.9.14, after the wounding but before it was published. That's why the ranks don't match in the different sources. 

Landgerichtspräsident Dr. Schmidt is Albert. Webr55 posted about him earlier in this thread on 20 December 2020. A poorly edited article here - he was born in Groß Hehlen, Celle, not "Groß Hehlem, Oelle". He received his Dr.jur. from Rostock on 15.3.1913. He was wounded in 1916 with 3./IR 75. He received the MMV1 in May 1918 while on the staff of the 17. Infanterie-Division, to which IR 75, GR 89 and FR 90 belonged. 
    -------------

* For some reason, most or all of the 1.4.25 Reichswehr promotions were actually made later that year around July and backdated.

Another chance find: I think Lt dR Hermann Ellinger is not yet listed as a Zähringen awardee, neither in Roth nor in the additional lists from Rick. 

From Freiburger Zeitung, 2.11.1918

ellinger.png

Edited by webr55

Hi Dave, 

Thanks for the additional info on Albert Schmidt, and sorry I got his name wrong. Here is a new name - Otto Mossdorf. The website also mentions Heinz Schimming whose gravestone was posted by Komtur on 29th Nov 2020. 

http://www.denkfried.de/wp/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Kreuzberg_halleschetor.html 

Best Regards, 

Matt. 

Two more Zähringen not listed:

Lt Hugo Droll

Lt Hermann Strub (we have his brother Josef only so far)

Both from Freiburger Zeitung, October 1918

strub.png

droll.png

One of the Webers, Hptm and Bataillonskdr, not sure this helps anything: 

Die Presse, 30.10.1917

weber.png

A new first name, and one to add to my list of flyers! Lt dR Fritz Rehorn. From the Solinger Zeitung 31st Aug 1918. Probably the Lt dR Rehhorn mentioned in the MWB dated 19th Oct 1918.  

Rehorn, Fritz.JPG

Edited by Mattyboy