News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

House Order of Hohenzollern - info needed

Here's another Hptm Hans Braun, from Konstanz, probably not one of the Hans Braun's we already have in the list. 

Might have been dL given that he was Syndikus, so could be the H dL Braun we have without first name.

From Freiburger Zeitung, 30.7.1918

braunhans.png

A few first names - Major Kurt Wagner (1868-1917), FAR 33 & FAR 20. Not sure where I found the death notice though.  Also Lt Hugo Wagner and Lt dR Arno Grave, who was wounded in 1916 with IR 67. From the Münsterischer Anzeiger dated 1st June 1918.  

Wagner - FAR 33, FAR 20.JPG

Wagner, Hugo.JPG

Another first name, and another aviator! Lt dR Georg Herrnleben, from the Naumburger Tageblatt 11 May 1918. He was killed on 31 May 1918 whilst serving as a pilot with Bosta 9. His name is sometimes spelled Herrsleben. 

Herrnleben, Georg.JPG

Not clear to me if this is a new one: Maj zD Ernst Bielitz 

It does neither say "Royal" nor "with swords". Although, his Zähringen WAS with swords, even if the death notice does not say so. (Also, Herrnleben above, who definitely got the Royal HHOX, was mentioned in exactly the same way, with "Ritterkreuz des Hausordens von Hohenzollern".)

If he is the Hptm Bielitz who was from FR40, he had a Princely Hohenzollern Ehrenkreuz without swords before the war. 

From Aachener Anzeiger, 25.10.1918

bielitz.png

Edited by webr55

On 16/12/2020 at 13:24, webr55 said:

This mentions a Hans Roth (1896-1958) with HHOX who was a pastor in Oldenburg, so different from the Generalmajor Hans Roth: 

https://www.kirche-oldenburg.de/fileadmin/Redakteure/PDF/rittner_roth_bultmann.pdf

I might have found the HHOX notice for that Hans Roth above:

From Nachrichten für Stadt und Land (Oldenburg), 18.10.1918

roth2.png

WOW! Surprise find:

Looking further through the Königsberg newspaper... found this:

It's either a new one or a new first name. We have a Lt dL Papendick in the HHOX list. MWB notice from 4.6.1918 - though I am not sure this is him.

What I found is - a relative (ok, wife's side). Lt (should be dR) Emil Papendick from Sokaiten in East Prussia. And nobody in the family had known about it anymore.

From Königsberger Hartungsche Zeitung, 9.7.1918

Speechless. 

papendick2.png

This was Emil Papendick (1886-1945) as Einj.Freiwilliger in GR 3, 1907: 

1907wohl - Emil Papendick als EJF Gefr.jpg

Back of the card:

1907wohl - Emil Papendick Rückseite.jpg

He got commissioned as Lt dR (Landwehrbezirk Tilsit) on 22.3.1915 into LIR 33. (I remember Glenn found the date years ago.). He got wounded in 1915. In 1916, probably until the end of WW1 (though this is not certain), he was Kp.führer in IR 45X (see below).

This is him during WW1 (to the right):

1915-03nach - Emil Papendick im Feld.jpg

Here standing, on the right: 

1915-03nach - 1. WK - rechts hinten Emil Papendick.jpg

And with his sister:

1915-03nach - Frieda und Emil Papendick.jpg

But no photo shows his HHOX. 

I have this postcard to him, but it was cut unfortunately. So the regiment might be IR 451, 457 or even 456, I think. I have looked through the regimental history of IR 451 and couldn’t find him. 

4062FFA0-464B-42D6-B881-27B63AB74316.jpeg

Edited by webr55