News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hi Gents,

I haven't paid attention to the Soviet market for a few years now. I bought alot of pieces 4-6 years ago, and have recently compared prices with what they cost today. Needless to say I am shocked! I'm sure this topic gets lots of play here on the forum, but I was so shocked I had to post this.

I see Red Banners going for $450-$500 on eBay and more at dealers, when I paid $45 for mine 5 years ago. Here's some other prices I paid:

Friendship of Peoples: $200

Alexander Nevsky (deep dish variation): $600

October Revolution: $110

Labour Glory 2nd: $240

Lenin type 5.2: $640

The crab: $180

Again, I'm sure this forum sees a lot of bellyaching about Soviet prices, but I just felt like I had to post this to come to terms with it myself! Actually, if I were ever inclined to sell these I would be sitting pretty...will never happen though!

• Replies 88
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dear Matthijs,

I guess, that's just the beginning .... :rolleyes:

If you are well off and you have a lot of USD to spent on orders & medals, there are still some real bargains at the market :jumping: .

Look at Igor's website at these items - in comparison to the recent development, these orders are still "underpriced":

HSU http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=17886

HSU http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=18445

HSL http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=17987

Labour Glory 1cl http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=16705

Four outstanding items! If you buy them now and sell them next year, you will make a fortune. But you will have to transfer 37k bucks to Igor :cheeky: .

Best regards :beer:

Christian

BTW: I guess, that the Soviet market is at the moment "over and out" for the ordinary collector, who doesn't want to trade items of his basic collection :( .

Hi Gents,

I haven't paid attention to the Soviet market for a few years now. I bought alot of pieces 4-6 years ago, and have recently compared prices with what they cost today. Needless to say I am shocked! I'm sure this topic gets lots of play here on the forum, but I was so shocked I had to post this.

I see Red Banners going for $450-$500 on eBay and more at dealers, when I paid $45 for mine 5 years ago. Here's some other prices I paid:

Friendship of Peoples: $200

Alexander Nevsky (deep dish variation): $600

October Revolution: $110

Labour Glory 2nd: $240

Lenin type 5.2: $640

The crab: $180

Again, I'm sure this forum sees a lot of bellyaching about Soviet prices, but I just felt like I had to post this to come to terms with it myself! Actually, if I were ever inclined to sell these I would be sitting pretty...will never happen though!

Guest Rick Research

I've got to agree with you Matthijs! 7 years ago, I was being laughed at for wasting good money on "that Commie junk."

This is ALL being fueled by clinically DEMENTED, obsessional money-laundering from Russia-- an absurd speculators' frenzy as crazy as the tulip mania of the 17th century.

At some point, political change will occur and all this truly idiotic back-grabbing will collapse with it. It isn't "national pride" or a wonderful Federation economy, it is a clique of literally insane people for whom money simply doesn't matter, driven by some sort of pathological boasting "rights" among each other.

I guess using huge denomination paper money to light cigars in front of beggars has lost its charm.

They could be AMASSING used chewing gum wrappers, for all they care. It is the lunatic monopolistic control of "things" by a small group seeking to literally possess ALL of EVERYTHING, beyond sanity.

Rational, normal, honest people must simply sit and watch these crazy, crazy fools squandering wealth like the Emperor Caligula at some End Of The World party.

If I had the BILLIONS of a real life James Bond villain, I would be buying my own private tropical island domains. Tch. :speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless::speechless:

Guest Rick Research

Uh uh. ONE of something is "enough" for me. Anything MORE than that is the accident of individual researched recipients' lives, not a comic book scheme for Global Collecting Domination, buwahahahahahahahaa.

I don't need EVERY SINGLE RED STAR EVER MINTED. :catjava:

• 2 weeks later...

I think that the worst one is the trend on the Order of the Red Banner. These are by no means rare. I remember these going for 20 dollars a pop... now... the typical prices(On EBAY) is about 400-500 dollars!??!?! :banger:

Order of Patriotic War 2nd cl #928652 sold on Ebay for US $784.52 :speechless1:

Must have been a very special order...

/Erik

Guys,

It was a rare, trench-type variety. Even though, that was a rather steep price for it IMHO :speechless:

Marc

Edited by Lapa

And, if you think Soviet prices are crazy, try this Tsarist twin:

http://www.collectrussia.com/DISPITEM.HTM?ITEM=18549

Just over THREE TIMES the previous . . . :speechless1:

Nice . . . but . . . :speechless1::speechless1:

Gentlemen,

I guess, that Igor did a mistake in typing the price tag into the website :unsure: ?

Well, it's just an ordinary and rather late St. George Cross of the 4th class + that medal, of which 697 items had been issued ... :rolleyes:

Maybe USD 25000,- ....

Best regards :beer:

Christian

Ed,

That is simply nuts. I'd prefer a Rolls Royce or a nice condo for that money...

But you have to keep in mind that potential buyers of this group already have all the acrs they want, as well as condos and villas. The group is not for us mere mortals, it's for collectors with REAL money.

I have a feeling the listing for this group will not last.

William

What Igor asks and what it's going to sell for are two different things.

Just because a member here owns BK1 it does not equal that he automatically has even $140K in his pocket.

William

I agree with you William. That's why I said "what price would Igor asks for that one?" and not "for how much this member could sell his BK1?".

What I also wanted to express was that these awards that are totally out of reach for most of collectors (me the first!) are not only owned by rich Russian oligarchs, but also by members of our collectors community.