News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

U-170 Doc Grouping with Tradition Badge

Hello,

congrats to that real nice set.

You're a real Lucky guy to found the photos

showing the man.

By the way ... do you ever try to play "wheel of fortune"

or lottery. :beer:

Best regards and good hunting

Sto

Edited by storage133

Hello,

congrats to that real nice set.

You're a real Lucky guy to found the photos

showing the man.

By the way ... do you ever try to play "wheel of fortune"

or lottery. :beer:

Best regards and good hunting

Sto

Thanks, Sto!

Happy hunting to you, too.

Erik

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this post, very interesting groups!

I have 3 groups to U-170 and will post them later, unable to at the moment.......just to add a few more names to the group photo:

1. Oberbootsmannsmaat Rudolf M?hlbauer RKT

2. Oberbootsmannsmaat Gerhard R?del DKiG

3. Oberfunkmaat Willy Gr?ber

/Ian

Ah.....cant add the photo as it is too large....will have to re-think!

Edited by ian jewison

I have 3 groups to U-170 and will post them later, unable to at the moment.......just to add a few more names to the group photo:

1. Oberbootsmannsmaat Rudolf M?hlbauer RKT

2. Oberbootsmannsmaat Gerhard R?del DKiG

3. Oberfunkmaat Willy Gr?ber

/Ian

Ian,

Thank you very much for the identification of the three crewmen! Very much looking forward to seeing your groupings.

All The Best,

Erik

/Ian

I look forward to seeing your 3 groups Ian.

Richard

Hello Erik and Richard,

Very nice groups, congratulations.

A little addition on the U-170, the Wolfgang Danzer's tellerm?tze. This well worn tellerm?tze is a privater purchase with a non removable blue top.

Best regards,

Michel

Michel,

Thank you very much for posting Wolfgang Danzer's tellerm?tze. As always - nice piece!

Best Regards,

Erik

• 8 months later...

Sorry Gents,

Forgot all about this thread, however not at home at the moment but here's a photo and cap emblem I posted somewhere years ago...just to keep you going until I get home!

The photo shows Oberbootsmann Rudolf Mühlbauer after the award of his Knight's Cross with fellow crew members of U-170.

/Ian

• 8 months later...

Hello,

i am the son of Erich Kurztusch. My father has a big convolut of things and documents about U-170. But he is missing his soldbook and so i was very surprised to find it here. He told me it was about two years ago when he got a visit by a man who was very interested in the history of U-170. He forgot his name. The man told my father to give him his soldbook so he can copy it and than give it back. But my father didnt get it back.

Hello,

i am the son of Erich Kurztusch. My father has a big convolut of things and documents about U-170. But he is missing his soldbook and so i was very surprised to find it here. He told me it was about two years ago when he got a visit by a man who was very interested in the history of U-170. He forgot his name. The man told my father to give him his soldbook so he can copy it and than give it back. But my father didnt get it back.

Hmmm... before this goes a step further, I would suggest you post a clear scan of your Personalausweiss. This is not an unknown occurrence on online forums and it is essential to establish clear credentials before hand.

If you are his son, I assume you are German, and Konvolut is spelt with a "K" and a Soldbook is actually a "Soldbuch"?

Anyway, I would suggest establishing proof of who you say you are, then continuing this discussion by Email with Richard. This is not an issue for debate and opinion on the forum, it is an issue to be resolved between both of you.

Best

Chris

Hmmm... before this goes a step further, I would suggest you post a clear scan of your Personalausweiss. This is not an unknown occurrence on online forums and it is essential to establish clear credentials before hand.

If you are his son, I assume you are German, and Konvolut is spelt with a "K" and a Soldbook is actually a "Soldbuch"?

Anyway, I would suggest establishing proof of who you say you are, then continuing this discussion by Email with Richard. This is not an issue for debate and opinion on the forum, it is an issue to be resolved between both of you.

Best

Chris

Thanks for stepping up and expressing your thoughts Chris. I anxiously await a reply from Juergen as I have a lot more questions for him.

Richard

• 8 years later...

Hi guys,

found this pin on Ebay a while ago and I was wondering whether or not the bunny/hare used in the U-170 cap badge was originally designed by the crew or that the crew took it from an already existing generic "skihase" logo, which would explain for the colors in this pin, because the bunny is undoubtedly the same. Could it be pre/post war?

thanks

IMG_20181227_151303.jpg

IMG_20181227_151516.jpg

170.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi IJSBeer,

Interesting pin you have there. Not sure if it can be tied back to a U-170 crew member, but possible. As I'm sure you know, it is very difficult to authenticate crew badges unless they come with significant provenance. Some U-boats used commercially-available symbols (e.g. Olympic rings used by U-394, 407, 426...) and militaria dealers often charge premium prices for such olympic pins claiming them as U-boat traditions badges even though there is no evidence that these were used on a boat. The "ski bunny" motif similar to your pin and used by U-170 was available commercially: I have posted an image in the form of a charm.

The U-170 traditions badge I posted came from Detlev Niemann with his guarantee of authenticity. I also have another GoA for Niemann for 2 U-170 crew badges. I do not own the shield, but I did purchase the 10 U-Flotille pin from the owner of the shield. These are posted here. You should also refer to page 79 of Gordon Williamson's book "Torpedo los!" for another version of the ski bunny from Michel's amazing collection.

U-170 Traditions Detlev276.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-01-07 at 12.35.02 PM.png

Fafnesbane, thanks for your support. Erik, thank you for your constructive reply on the topic which you started, many years ago I might add. I think the badges that Ian Jewison (above) and you have shown so far are definitely real, as goes for the pictures that you posted directly above. I can honestly say I had not seen those before and I can't leave this room without holding a degree of envy. "Commercial", is indeed what I think some of these "anstecknadeln" are. See the picture that I attached to this reply, because I own some of them, except for the big yellow ski bunny and the anstecknadel displayed with Georg Högel's U-Boat Emblems of World War II book. The yellow pin really does appear to be a winter sports souvenir of the 1940's. If the crew stole the original design it would be nice to know who designed it originally, vice versa too.

Erik, I will certainly consult the reference material that you pointed out to me there.

In the meantime, please keep posting pictures of similar ski bunnies, dear readers. 

screen dump.png

Edited by IJSBEER