News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Hero and labour Hero of the Mongolian People's republic

Vatjan

I'm still in shock!!!!

I was just thinking that this piece would look even better with proper enamel repair. Just imagine how spectacular it would look!

I know you can't divulge the previous owner, but I'm curious all the same.

Could you at least tell us if it's not one of "Mr. Happy" Choibalsan's orders? that would leave just 4 possible candidates for us to consider.

Just imagine what the recipient must have done!!

Choibalsan probably did nothing more than look mean to get his,

But the other 4 must have been interesting chaps.

S.Gongors story is in the book but what about the other three????

I'm speechless!!!

JC

• Replies 260
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There must be a book out there, patterned on the various Soviet volumes, that recounts the tales of heroism of the various heroes of the MPR?

And, actually, the repair looks much better than than scan. Let me try a photo. Somerthing about the way the scanner light hits it.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

HERO OF THE MONGOLIAN PEOPLE'S REPUBLIC

T1 only 6 awarded

T2 41 awarded

14 posthumous titles awarded, they were NOT accompanied with the Gold Star.

Pix from Yuri Yashnev's site

Apparently 1-2 came out on the market during the "opening of the bank vault" period last year. Before then, I've been informed that there was one on the market in Mongolia about 3 years ago with an asking price of USD 2000. Wish I'd been around then!

• 5 weeks later...
    • 2 weeks later...

OK, you may not like this, but it is the best I can do. Please understand that this is difficult to do by the terms under which I acquired this as a guest. I have obscured the serial number (though in a less obtrusive fashion that that used by our distant cousins who collect that Nazi stuff).

Simply an engraved Cyrillic "МД" at the top.

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...

Excerpted from Bob's really useful master list of serial numbers and dates of award (see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9917 and THANKS, BOB! :beer: ), here are known data points for the Hero of Labor "Goly Soyombo" Medal (A3):

1 1956

52 28/11/1962

250 1981

424 03/04/1986

Edited by Ed_Haynes

• 2 months later...

Excerpted from Bob's really useful master list of serial numbers and dates of award (see http://gmic.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=9917 and THANKS, BOB! :beer: ), here are known data points for the Hero of Labor "Goly Soyombo" Medal (A3):

1 1956

52 28/11/1962

250 1981

424 03/04/1986

Just seen pics of a Soyombo numbered 424 interestingly enough (coming from China) which is apparently on the market for sale... but it concerns me:

- either there is a type 3 Soyombo (more similar to type 2 than 1)

- or it's a fake

Considering the lack of documentation already on type 2 and with the presumably only one shared on this site being "vetted" by the ultimate expert, I am naturally inclined to assume that the 424 is a fake but obviously may very well be wrong as in fact some of the differences vs. type 2 are such which would not make sense for a faker to make (e.g. what appears to be a mintmark).

Hope the current owner posts pics here for discussion.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is one example from an interesting set that I picked up. While I need to check to see that what I have is complete, the series shows all heroes as of date of publication.

There is, by the way, some hope that there may soon be a book (bilingual in Mongolian and English) on all the heroes.

• 4 weeks later...

I got all excited when I saw the price and the picture....but then I saw the big picture and now I'm not so sure....

I passed and I think with good cause...

Any thoughts?

JC

ps. I do still need one so.................... :rolleyes:

This has to be one of the lowest SN for Gold Soyombo medal: #14!!!

William

I am not sure whether obverse / reverse pics are of the same Soyombo....

The obverse pic looks familiar and - for many obvious reasons - does not appear to meet the same standards as "known" authentic ones.

I am not sure whether obverse / reverse pics are of the same Soyombo....

The obverse pic looks familiar and - for many obvious reasons - does not appear to meet the same standards as "known" authentic ones.

That's how pics came from the seller.

I am not sure why would he send pics from two different medals.

William