News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 2 weeks later...

Some times a photo is not what it looks like at first sight. Such as this group portrait which dates from the 1930s.

The men are dressed as Navy sailors, with the cap tallies KREUZER EMDEN and TORPEDO-SCHULE in Latin script, as worn between 1919 and 1930. But the man with the tally KREUZER EMDEN wears it combined with a roundel. A black-and-white roundel was worn before 1920, by the Kaiserliche Marine, it was replaced by an oval with the German Eagle in 1920 and this oval was used until it was replaced by the red-white-black roundel in 1933. However, the tally KREUZER EMDEN, in Latin script was introduced in 1925 when this light cruiser was commissioned. In 1930 the Latin script tallies became obsolete, when the tallies with Fractur script were ordered to be worn.

There was, however, a tally S.M.S. EMDEN, but this cruiser was lost on 9-11-1914 and all tallies with the prefix S.M.S. became obsolete in 1919.

So the tally does not match the roundel. My assesment is, that this studio portrait was a fancy-dress-party, perhaps for carnival or another happening.

RM - 042a - FAKE Mützenbänder KREUZER EMDEN und TORPEDO-SCHULE.jpg

RM - 042b - FAKE.jpg

For the sake of the example, not quite a sailor of the Kriegsmarine, but a member of the Bundesmarine (1960s) with the tally

3. AUSBILDUNGSBATAILLON 3.

In 1955 the post war German Navy got started, wearing tallies with Fractur Schift (Gothic script), these were used for five years until 1960, when new tallies with Latin script were introduced. The roundel on the cap is red-yellow-gold.

img409.jpg

Edited by Odulf

• 4 months later...

A group photo that appears to have been taken at the "Marineschule Wesermunde".

Makes sense as the photographers stamp on the reverse is from a studio in Bremerhaven.

Regards,Martin.

Marineschule Wesermunde,det..jpg

Marineschule Wesermunde,group._final (2).jpg

Edited by Martin W

1 hour ago, Martin W said:

A group photo that appears to have been taken at the "Marineschule Wesermunde".

Makes sense as the photographers stamp on the reverse is from a studio in Bremerhaven.

Regards,Martin.

Marineschule Wesermunde,det..jpg

Marineschule Wesermunde,group._final (2).jpg

Hello my frind!

Nice to see you Back.Very nice Photo from your Collection.

Good to be able to post images on this forum again Morten.

After the last update/refurb here I was unable to post images from my old computer ??

I have a new computer now,so I can finally be a little more active here being able to post images again.

Regards,Martin.

Edited by Martin W

• 2 months later...

An interesting snap shot of a German crew member of the Torpedoboot Jaguar in Morocco or Tunesia (c. 1938).

Note that his local porter is wearing a canvas Royal Navy belt, with the small pouch on the right. Also interesting to see is the quality brown leather photo camera case. Many German military personnel had good quality personal cameras, which is the reason why there are so many fine photos of German military objects and subjects about.

img968.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice Larry, in particular the badge of rate.

Here are two recent "catches", Vorpostenflottille and a Funker of the Raumbootsflottille 1 (Wireless Operator of the 1st Mine Sweeper Flottilla).

Vorpostenflottille @.jpg

Raumbootsflottille 1 - Funkerlufbahn @.jpg

• 2 months later...
    • 4 weeks later...
    9 hours ago, Martin W said:

Marineerganzungsabteilung.

The numbers are not visible,either 1 or 2.

Marineerganzungsabteilung._final.jpg

That`s a very Nice photo Martin,we don`tsee these tallies very mush.This is for members of mine replacement units! Congrats for Your New addition and thanks for sharing.

• 2 months later...