News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Unknown Konteradmiral attending Kaiser Wilhelm II's funeral

Some time ago I found this interesting photo that shows Generaloberst Curt Haase (2nd from the left) and Admiral Hermann Densch (1st from the right). It was taken during the funeral of Kaiser Wilhelm II in Doorn, on 9 June 1941.

The Konteradmiral 2nd from the right is wearing a Kriegsmarine uniform and his identity is unknown to me. Since I mainly research Kriegsmarine admirals I was unable to identify him as a Kriegsmarine Konteradmiral. That's why I think he has to be a Kaiserliche Marine Konteradmiral a.D. who attended Kaiser Wilhelm's funeral and wore a Kriegsmarine uniform. You can notice a long medal bar and also an unknown neck decoration.

1. Does anyone know who this mystery Konteradmiral is?

2. Does anyone know what is the decoration he is wearing around the neck? It could help with the identification. I was told it could be the Kgl. Preuß. Hohenzollern-Kreuz d. Komture mit Schwertern am Ring or Orden der Württembergischen Krone, Komturkreuz mit Schwertern.

3. The badge below his EK 1. is also a mystery. To me it looks like an U-Bootskriegsabzeichen? Or is it something else entirely?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled2.jpg

4 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

Konteradmiral a.D. Theo Eschenburg, Generaladjutant of W2 in Exile.

Around the neck the Hohenzollern Commander with swords on the ring.

The mystery badge appears to be the 80th birthday badge of W2.

Best,

Daniel

Thank you Daniel! Are you 100% sure it's Theodor Eschenburg? Photo of him from the "Deutschlands Admirale" attached below. It would appear he shaved of his beard and moustache?

I think the known awards match:

-Ritterkreuz des Königlich Preußischen Hausordens von Hohenzollern mit Schwertern (25. 09. 1918)
    -Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 1. Klasse
    -Eisernes Kreuz (1914) 2. Klasse
    -Königlich Preußische Kaiser Wilhelm-Centenarmedaille 1897
    -Königlich Preußischer Roter Adler-Orden 4. Klasse
    -Königlich Preußisches Dienstauszeichnungskreuz
    -Königlich Preußische Rettungsmedaille am Bande
    -Lübeckisches Hanseatenkreuz
    -Ritterkreuz 1. Klasse des Königlich Sächsischen Albrechts-Ordens mit Schwertern
    -Ritterkreuz des Königlichen Ordens der Württembergischen Krone mit Schwertern
    -Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer

His german wikipedia entry says Wilhelm II. awarded him with the Großkomturkreuz des Königlich Preußischen Hausordens von Hohenzollern. Is that correct? Or is it just the Komturkreuz like you wrote in your answer?

80562973_565607177352152_4221810585471287296_n - Copy.jpg

5 hours ago, Kriegsmarine Admiral said:

Great, thank you very much!

Here are some more photos I found from the funeral on which Eschenburg can be seen.

The last photo is the full photo of the one above. According to akg 2nd from left is Sigurd von Ilsemann and 3rd from left Freiherr Ulrich von Sell.

50081143.jpg

50081140.jpg

50080464.jpg

AKG129068.jpg

Orphans ,they look as orphans. interesting is to know who is the man with the peaked cap in his left hand apparently a Unterscharf or Scharfuhrer of the SS . low military rank but high social position ? 

• 2 years later...

Hi Karlo,

I don't think he is Wilhelm von Haxthausen. That leaves Hubert von Rebeur-Paschwitz and Theoder Eschenburg. On balance, I would tend towards Admiral Eschenburg. Nikolaus Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien did perform duty as a Flügel-Adjutant during the Kaiser's exile but number 2 does not appear to be him. Freiherr von Paleske seems more likely.

Regards

Glenn

23 hours ago, Glenn J said:

Hi Karlo,

I don't think he is Wilhelm von Haxthausen. That leaves Hubert von Rebeur-Paschwitz and Theoder Eschenburg. On balance, I would tend towards Admiral Eschenburg. Nikolaus Graf zu Dohna-Schlodien did perform duty as a Flügel-Adjutant during the Kaiser's exile but number 2 does not appear to be him. Freiherr von Paleske seems more likely.

Regards

Glenn

Thank you Glenn!

Here is another photo of Theodor Eschenburg. What is the award above the EK1? Could it be a Stahlhelm Bund award?

s-l1600 (2) - Copy.jpg