News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

5 hours ago, VtwinVince said:

Material from Baden is nice to collect, and another rabbit hole easy to go down.

Yes, defenatly a rabbit hole ??? 

But, i Like it Very much. Thanks for your nice reply 

6 hours ago, Tupper said:

Its Not a Spangenstück. Looks Luke the normal medal

It actually is one, despite the suspension! The official medals had the artist's initials "R.M." besides the bust which naturally lacks on a Zweit- or Schnallenstück. There is quite a number of variations of these private purchase pieces... I still have to catalog and count them, I guess!

See also Henning Volle:  Die Orden und tragbaren Ehrenzeichen des Großherzogtums und der Republik Baden. Freiburg im Breisgau 2019. p 287.

38 minutes ago, saschaw said:

It actually is one, despite the suspension! The official medals had the artist's initials "R.M." besides the bust which naturally lacks on a Zweit- or Schnallenstück. There is quite a number of variations of these private purchase pieces... I still have to catalog and count them, I guess!

See also Henning Volle:  Die Orden und tragbaren Ehrenzeichen des Großherzogtums und der Republik Baden. Freiburg im Breisgau 2019. p 287.

Thank You so much. So is this a Zweitstück? I dont See any initials ?

IMG_20220814_155643_copy_721x718.jpg

Yes, as said before, this is a "Zweitstück". Could be post-war era or even contemporary, as some companies started to produce such pieces as early as 1915. No way to tell, of course, and it wouldn't matter anyway I'd think.

Here's one in gold I sold a few weeks ago. Good enough for a comparison, as the design was exactly the same. Rudolf Mayer's initials are rather easy to spot, and that's the easiest way to recognize any inofficial ones.

R03407 - 05622 c2.jpeg

R03407 - 05622 d2.jpeg

Edited by saschaw

6 minutes ago, saschaw said:

Yes, as said before, this is a "Zweitstück". Could be post-war era or even contemporary, as some companies started to produce such pieces as early as 1915. No way to tell, of course, and it wouldn't matter anyway I'd think.

Here's one in gold I sold a few weeks ago. Good enough for a comparison, as the design was exactly the same. Rudolf Mayer's initials are rather easy to spot, and that's the easiest way to recognize any inofficial ones.

R03407 - 05622 c2.jpeg

R03407 - 05622 d2.jpeg

Oh now i See. Ist really easy to Spot If You know what to look for. By the way - its a really Beautyfull Gold medal.

Thank You for your Help. One Last question - why is my medal affixed with a small ribbon?

2 hours ago, Tupper said:

One Last question - why is my medal affixed with a small ribbon?

Well, as a makeshift I'd say. Imagine it were not: the medal would hang way too high on that bar, with one third being invisible from front! A common practice to fix this oddity! That, of course, is the reason many private companies made their Schnallenstücke with a normal ring instead of the Bügel. Why some didn't is a mystery indeed. As for the official medals, it's a bit strange as well, but then, it was custom for literally all but one or two Baden state medals for more than a hundred years... a tradition, so to say.

By the way, the award number of this Silberne Verdienstmedaille am Bande der Militärischen Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstmedaille during World War I is close to 130,000. It's the most common Baden award - by far, despite we don't have specific numbers for some other relatively common Baden awards.

On 13/08/2022 at 18:24, VtwinVince said:

Material from Baden is nice to collect, and another rabbit hole easy to go down.

I couldn't agree more! The awards from Baden are certainly among the nicer ones, regarding both design and craftsmanship!

:whistle:

Your medal bar also represents another rabbit hole, one I tried for a while. This is a way of collecting the state awards of the different German states in the form of a classic trio common to many veterans, especially common soldiers who wouldn't have lots of decorations and service medals. The basic trio - Iron Cross, state award, Ehrenkreuz für Frontkämpfer - is a nice way to display the state award rather than just having the loose award.

Bayern_bar_1.jpg.a446f95d1eeb1f085e2a84cc3e188b1d.jpg

Oldenburg_bar_1.jpg.acefeccea9ced63006a6e093a1b6cd2c.jpg

DE_3er_bar_Schaumburg-Lippe_1.jpg.60d694c085fc4a7c07dee098064fea3b.jpg

DE_3er_bar_Schwarzburg_1.jpg.feb16bb4e8d82ac928547b07c0c4cfd2.jpg

Wuerttemberg_3medalbar_1.jpg.7b778b83281e5ab730c208ebf61c61a4.jpg