News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Gentlemen,

just to inform you on my newest project! I am reserching this Pour le Merité from end of the 18th century. It comes from the era of King Friedrich Wilhelm II. so awarded between 1786 to 1797. I know the name of the original recipient, he could also be found in the books of Gustaf Lehmann. It is a pity, that only his name and date of award is written in it, so I need to find other sources to learn more, why this PlM was awarded! 

Even if this blue enameled beauty looks very different from the ones that Previtera shows in his books on the PlM from that time period I am pretty convinced, that this one also is from this time period and want to prove it, when I am done with my research. 

Any comments from your side are welcome, if you want to. 

PS: this is just a little sidetrip, so it won't mess with my work on the book of the orders and medals of the Kingdom of Hannover! I promise ?

PlM 18 Jhrhdt.jpg

• 6 months later...
    On 23/09/2022 at 05:03, BlackcowboyBS said:

Gentlemen,

just to inform you on my newest project! I am reserching this Pour le Merité from end of the 18th century. It comes from the era of King Friedrich Wilhelm II. so awarded between 1786 to 1797. I know the name of the original recipient, he could also be found in the books of Gustaf Lehmann. It is a pity, that only his name and date of award is written in it, so I need to find other sources to learn more, why this PlM was awarded! 

Even if this blue enameled beauty looks very different from the ones that Previtera shows in his books on the PlM from that time period I am pretty convinced, that this one also is from this time period and want to prove it, when I am done with my research. 

Any comments from your side are welcome, if you want to. 

PS: this is just a little sidetrip, so it won't mess with my work on the book of the orders and medals of the Kingdom of Hannover! I promise ?

PlM 18 Jhrhdt.jpg

nice  and gold

What a beauty! Hasn't this cross been published and discussed before, like in the mid-1980s? It looks quite unusual, especially with the anachronistic italics. Do you consider it an award-type cross? I think it was addressed back then as a privately purchased variation, which wasn't uncommon to the era - so possibly a unique piece... ?! I might misremember this, so please feel free to correct me!

;)

• 2 weeks later...
    On 18/04/2023 at 10:25, saschaw said:

What a beauty! Hasn't this cross been published and discussed before, like in the mid-1980s? It looks quite unusual, especially with the anachronistic italics. Do you consider it an award-type cross? I think it was addressed back then as a privately purchased variation, which wasn't uncommon to the era - so possibly a unique piece... ?! I might misremember this, so please feel free to correct me!

;)

Yes it was heavily discussed in the 80s. At the end, it was not decided what it is. End aof 18th century or begin of 19th.