Hello!

Are you sure it is bronze gilt?

This modell is habitually in gold.

Yes, but my order in bronze :) 

₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

picture of gold order, from museum in UK

image.jpeg

Hi Igor,

Nice one! These were French made in slightly smaller (than Dutalis's) size. I have few of these in silver, silver gilt and all are marked with French hallmark (head of hare). All are with swords like yours and have nearly identical centres (double leaves at the bottom of the disc - all Dutalis's had singles). Too bad the reverse is missing.

Hi Igor,

I can confirm that the Cross you showed is bronze I had one in my collection, Interesting is that the both central medallions have enamel that is blue purple in colour instead of the traditional red and black.otherwise the features are the same as Farmer described them Yes It is a pity that the back central medallion is missing

Why the French made them in bronze is the other questions, however we see from time to time French legion of honour in bronze gilded from the same period That is a mystery because the vast majority of the Orders from officer class and above were made from gold We can only speculate.

However those orders have their own place

Here are few French examples made in France during this period

1/2 size Knight Class next tho Dutalis Cross The 1/2 size cross is marked with French mark for silver

Knight Class Badge with swords -marked with French mark for silver

-Gold Commander Class -reduced size 68 x40.5 mm I assume this was an Officer Class converted to Commander Class for neck wearing

-Grand Cordon Badge -again French made in Gold The Star is made by British maker

001.JPG

002.JPG

Leo 059.jpg

Leo 064.jpg

Leo 066.jpg

003.JPG

004.JPG