News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

House Order of Hohenzollern - info needed

After quite a while, this should be an entirely new one: OTL Reinhard Reichsgraf von Merveldt, from 1. GzF. 

Born 1870 in Salzkotten.

From Westfälische Tageszeitung: Münsterländische Volkszeitung, 5.7.1942

merveldt.png

Dr. Paul Derlin (in our list as Martin) died as Oberfeldarzt in 1942:

From Westfälische Tageszeitung: Münsterländische Volkszeitung, 22.10.1942

derlin.png

We might have had him before: Wilhelm-Bruno Wiebecke died as OTL in 1942.

From Westfälische Tageszeitung: Münsterländische Volkszeitung, 24.12.1942

wiebecke.png

Major aD Joseph Freiherr von Wendt-Papenhausen (in our list without Papenhausen) died in 1944.

From Westfälische Tageszeitung: Münsterländische Volkszeitung, 18.10.1944

wendt.png

We have him already, but there is some more information:

Lt dR Franz Berten: his notice was published very late, in the Niederrheinisches Tageblatt, 17.5.1919.

Born 5.10.1895 in Hinsbeck

Came back in WW2

KIA 24.8.1944 in Marseille as Major dR and Kdr Marine-Festungspionier-Bataillon 360

(acc. to Lohmann/Hildebrand)

berten.png

Thanks a lot my friends!

Great stuff!

Lefebvre - no idea... there was no HEK for him.

If he was an active Officer in WW1, there might be a chance that he is one of the few we are still missing.

v.Merveldt - indeed a HEK, 3rd class with crown and swords.

All the best,

Daniel

17 hours ago, Daniel Krause said:

Thanks a lot my friends!

Great stuff!

Lefebvre - no idea... there was no HEK for him.

If he was an active Officer in WW1, there might be a chance that he is one of the few we are still missing.

v.Merveldt - indeed a HEK, 3rd class with crown and swords.

All the best,

Daniel

Naughty Reichsgraf!

Lefebvre does not seem to have been an active officer. There is only one that would remotely fit, the Lt Lefèvre from Unteroffz.schule Jülich (orig. IR 164), but he ended WW1 already as Hptm aD.

In the VL (Aug 1918) however, I find a Lt dR Johann Lefebvre, born 19.8.XX in "Cöln". Only one who would fit. 

Maybe Glenn has more to say on this case.

Hi webr55

The young Flieger-Leutnant Müller is rather certain Lt dR Hans Müller who have scored his 5th victory in late May 1918. However he was born 03.07.1896 in Etzel, Wittmund. He ended up with 12 victories until EOW. 

He is tricky to find in Post-War sources as he changed his name to Hans/Hanns Garrelt. During WW2 he served as Major dR. He was Dr, Dipl.Ing and lived in München during 1930s.

Gunnar

4 hours ago, Soderbaum said:

Hi webr55

The young Flieger-Leutnant Müller is rather certain Lt dR Hans Müller who have scored his 5th victory in late May 1918. However he was born 03.07.1896 in Etzel, Wittmund. He ended up with 12 victories until EOW. 

He is tricky to find in Post-War sources as he changed his name to Hans/Hanns Garrelt. During WW2 he served as Major dR. He was Dr, Dipl.Ing and lived in München during 1930s.

Gunnar

Very interesting! So this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Müller_(aviator) ?

Died in München in 1964.

Only an initial: Lt dR Lamberti is H. Lamberti from Hilden.

From Ohligser Anzeiger, 21.9.1918

Two days later, another notice appeared in the same newspaper (with a typo!), according to which he was Zahnarzt. 

There was a Hans Lamberti who received his Dr. med. dent. from the University of Köln in 1921 (so might have studied before the war, but received his Dr. after). I find him as Zahnarzt in Düsseldorf-Mettmann in 1931. 

image.png

lambi2.png

Edited by webr55

New first name Lt dR Josef Koch from Neuhaus. 

Judging from the publication date, this should be the Lt dR Koch from MGSSA 10.

In that case, the other Lt dR Koch (from RIR 262) should be the Hugo whom we had before in this thread. 

From Paderborner Anzeiger, 13.8.1918

kochJ.png

11 hours ago, Mattyboy said:

A death notice for sale on ebay, and a picture - Arthur von Wolff (1875-1963). 

https://www.ebay.de/itm/295121133669?hash=item44b6972065:g:Cu4AAOSw6kJi5PWk

Very interesting! The Maj von Wolff we had without first name so far. 

Some more info: This should be the Wilhelm Schroeder who received the HHOX as Hptm. OTL aD, born 1877 in Danzig, died 1931.

From Paderborner Anzeiger, 17.12.1931.

schroeder.png

Hello, I have a book that lists the recipients of this award, as well as others. Can someone please tell me if the awards are identical when awarded by the Prussian Government under Kaiser Wilhelm II and also under the Princely House Order? I have recipients that list one or the other, and have read that while Kaiser took over the House of Hohenzollern, that awards were also given under the Princely House itself?

6 hours ago, coburg22 said:

Hello, I have a book that lists the recipients of this award, as well as others. Can someone please tell me if the awards are identical when awarded by the Prussian Government under Kaiser Wilhelm II and also under the Princely House Order? I have recipients that list one or the other, and have read that while Kaiser took over the House of Hohenzollern, that awards were also given under the Princely House itself?

The Princely House Order of Hohenzollern and the Royal House Order of Hohenzollern were separate orders, awarded by different branches of the House of Hohenzollern.

There were differences in the design (including the coat of arms and the motto) and the naming of the different classes. The statute ribbon was, I believe, the same, but for the Royal House Order, as with other Prussian orders like the Red Eagle and Crown Orders, awards with swords were typically made on the Iron Cross ribbon (this is a simplification - the variations in Prussian orders is a book in itself).

Royal House Order of Hohenzollern, Knight's Cross with Swords:

DE_Preussen_HHO_RKx_1.jpg.d348fe9e3580b961f77ed9182883fd11.jpg

Princely House Order of Hohenzollern, Honor Cross 3rd Class with Swords:

HEK3x_1.jpg.0dc93f15e451d122a44d9af86a743910.jpg

Edited by Dave Danner