News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

House Order of Hohenzollern - info needed

• 2 months later...

Another Pionier officer:

Schaub, Wilhelm Abel Carl Fürchtegott
    *24.02.1895 in Eschwege
    †20.12.1959 in Münster i.W.

Lt., Pionier-Bataillon Nr. 11, OLt.a.D.

He had two brothers, Georg and Karl, who were killed as Leutnants der Reserve. Both were also in PB 11.

The Rufname of Hauptmann Grebel from IR 84 was Otto:

Grebel, Moritz Franz Otto
    *13.7.1876 in Berlin

There is a family tree on Ancestry which gives his date and place of death as †26.7.1951 in Bonn, but does not identify its sources. Grebel is also listed as an Oberst a.D., so if the information is correct, he may have been a z.V. officer in World War 2.

Grebel commanded the I. Bataillon of RIR 90 at Verdun; besides the HOH3X he also had the MMV1&2.

Edited by Dave Danner

According to a June 1944 list of artillery officers, Karl Wehber from JRzP 6 and IR 449 was a Major z.V. (RDA 1.6.41) and Stogas of the LXXXI. Armeekorps, being replaced by Hptm.d.R. Wilfried Frhr. v. Reitzenstein. I don't know any other assignments, but given his WW2 role he likely had additional decorations besides the HOH3X and likely the HH (he was a Hamburg native).

The same list indicates that HOH3X-recipient Karl Bäsch was "mit der Führung beauftragt" of Heeres-Flakartillerie-Brigade 501 on 5.1.1945. Bäsch, born on 12.1.1890, received Baden's Militär-Karl-Friedrich-Verdienstorden on 15.9.1917 as a Lt.d.R. in RFAR 52 and the Deutsches Kreuz in Gold on 16.11.1943 as a Maj.d.R. (RDA 1.8.42) in Heeres-Flak-Artillerie-Abteilung 275, so quite a few rather high decorations.

One more HOH3X recipient who did not survive the war.

Hemmerling, Friedrich Karl Heinrich
    *29.11.1879 in Berlin, gef. 1.8.1918 bei Koekuit, Bixschoote
    12.2.15 Lt.d.L.-Inf. I (IV Berlin) im Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 225

Regierungslandmesser bei der Kgl. Eisenbahndirektion Berlin

HOH3X am 8.7.1918.

On 01/06/2022 at 06:49, webr55 said:

The Hptm dR Gärtner from RFAR 7 was Hans Gärtner, later Landrat. Died in Münster in 1972:

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hans_Gärtner_(Landrat)

From Die Glocke, 12.1.1941

Some additional details: Lt.d.R. (Bonn) d. FAR 6 (18.11.05 Lt.), 13.10.14 OLt.d.R. (Gumbinnen), zurzeit im RFAR 11, 27.1.16 Hptm.d.R., zurzeit ebenda.

For what it's worth, the other Hptm.d.R. Gärtner was Eduard, Bergassessor in Bochum, Lt.d.R. (I Bochum) d. FAR 26 (18.5.07 Lt.), 22.3.15 OLt.d.R., zurzeit bei der II.Ers./FAR 26, 13.3.18 Hptm.d.R.; EK2, OK2, BMO4.

• 2 weeks later...

The Major d.L. Hennig who received the HOH3X on 21.5.1918 with Reserve-Feldartillerie-Regiment Nr. 13 was named Georg.

In the 1914 rank list, he is listed as a Hptm.d.L.-Felda. II (VI Berlin). The 1911 rank list of Reserve and Landwehr officers gives his civilian occupation as Privatmann in Charlottenburg. Note that despite his rank, he is not shown with a Landwehr-Dienstauszeichnung in the rank list. This is because he was a former active officer. He was commissioned a Secondelieutenant in FAR 1 on 19.9.1888 and later transferred to FAR 45, where he was promoted to Hauptmann on 18.4.1903. He was retired from active duty as a Halbinvalide on 31.3.1904 and transferred to the Landwehr.

He was wounded in late August 1914 as Führer of the 1. Batterie of the mobile Ersatz-Abteilung of FAR 73. Ers./FAR 73 contributed to the formation of III./RFAR 13 in May 1916. The Verlustliste did not give a birthplace, and I could not find a Georg Hennig born within 2 years of 1868 who fit, so I couldn't find any birth or death information. Maybe there's an FAR 1 or FAR 45 Stammliste?

Other than the Centenarmedaille, I don't know of any other decorations besides the HOH3X. There was a Georg Hennig who received the ÖM3K as a Hauptmann in FAR 35, but that may have been one of the other Feldartillerie Hennigs (there were several).

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, digitization of the Hannoverscher Kurier has advanced to 1917. Not much new info so far, but here are some cases we already have, as a start:

Hptm Günther Tidow was from Hannover, had the Hessen as well:

tidow.jpg

Walther Wriede from Lüneburg, born 1894 (Matty had him already), KIA 1918:

wriede.jpg

Edited by webr55

• 2 weeks later...

Bang, Ferdinand Reinhard
    *24.1.1884 in Frankfurt am Main
    †26.7.1972 in Essen-Rüttenscheid
    27.6.1909 Dr.jur. (Heidelberg)

On mobilization, he was an Ordonannz-Offizier in the staff of I./FAR 63. By September 1914, he was Abteilungs-Adjutant. In the Stellenbesetzungen from 22.4.1915 through 14.3.1916, he is Ordonannz-Offizier in the regimental staff and was promoted to Oberleutnant der Reserve on 27.11.1915. He was then wounded (Verlustliste v. 13.4.1916). I only have information from Volume 1 of the FAR 63 regimental history, so I don't know when he returned to the regiment or what position he held when he was awarded the HOH3X.

21.10.1918 HOH3X

In the 1912 XVIII. Armeekorps address book, he is listed as a Gerichtsassessor in Frankfurt am Main. Post-war Essen address books list him as a Staatsanwalt a.D., but he's not listed in the 1918 Prussian Court and State Handbook.

There was another Dr.jur. Ferdinand Bang (1889-1955) who was a lawyer in Berlin, so searching on-line for later information gives results that may be for the wrong Bang.

More about Professor Johann Raestrup, HdR, born 1878 in Stromberg:

Die Glocke, 8.9.1934

raestrup.jpg

Might be a new first name: Hptm dR Friedrich Bitterberg was KIA in 1940

Die Glocke, April 1940

bitterberg.jpg

Edited by webr55

Friedrich Bitterberg was born on 22.12.1882 in Höxter and was killed on 10.4.1940 in Skagerrak, Norway as a Hauptmann d.R. in IR 340.

Hermann Schultz was born on 13.3.1878 in Eickel, Gelsenkirchen. He was promoted to Dr.jur. by the Universität Jena on 6.2.1906 and in 1918 was a Regierungsrat in the Hauptverwaltung of the Kanalbaudirektion in Essen. The 1918 Handbuch über den preußischen Hof und Staat lists his HOH3X and EK1 but omits his LD2.

Schultz commanded 6./RIR 13 at Verdun in 1916. On 10.9.1916, he took command of I./RIR 13 when Hermann Krome was sent to take command of IR 141 (Krome returned to RIR 13 in March 1918 as regimental commander). Schultz was awarded the HOH3X on 13.9.1916. According to the regimental history, "Mittag September erhielt Hauptmann Schultz als wohlverdiente Auszeichnung für die zweimalige Erstürmung des Steinbruchs von Haudromont den damals noch sehr selten verliehenen hohen Hohenzollernschen Hausorden mit Schwertern." If you search for "Haudromont" on-line, you will find a number of pictures and postcards of the quarries there which were turned into a fortification. Schultz commanded I./RIR 13 until May 1918 when he was wounded for the second time. 

Paul Triep is a mystery to me as well. The Leutnant in UR 15 was Eugen Triep, born in Duisburg. There was a Leutnant der Reserve Triep in FAR 44 (Patent 18.12.13) with the Meldeamt of Coesfeld.  A Vizewachtmeister Triep, also with the Meldeamt of Coesfeld, was promoted to Leutnant der Reserve on 24.12.1916; no Waffengattung or Truppenteil is listed, but as a Vizewachtmeister probably Feldartillerie. No Triep is listed in the 1920, 1921 and 1937 Mitgliederverzeichnisse of FAR 44. A Leutnant der Landwehr Wilhelm Triep is listed as "schwer verwundet" in a 1917 casualty list.

The Schultz who received the HOH3X on 18.7.1918 as a Hauptmann der Reserve in FAR 504 was Alfred Schultz, *30.7.1871 in Medingen, Uelzen, "schwer verwundet" in 1918 as commander of I./FAR 504.

I have no idea what his Friedensverhältnis was. He's not the 2.GFAR officer, who was Dr.jur. Karl Schultz, nor the FAR 10 officer, who was Dr.jur. Erwin Schultz, Landrichter in Hamburg.

As for the Schultz who received the HOH3X on 6.11.1918 as a Hauptmann der Reserve in FAR 20, I am not certain, but I think this might be an error for Schulz. There was a Lt.d.R. Schulz in FAR 20 who was a Wirtschaftsbeamter in Lötzen. He was promoted to OLt.d.R. on 18.4.15. I can't find a promotion to Hptm.d.R., but based on his seniority it should have been in the first half of 1918.

thanks all!!

Matty, that Hertwig is quite odd.. no HOH or HEK for him in my files and in the "usual" sources.

I am fairly sure, that we should have all the non-Prussian recipients from the MilKab file...

His award of the Albrecht seems to be a unpublished one as well...

Best,

Daniel