News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

belgian Order of Leopold l

Wow I just noticed we have our own Belgium forum now. Thanks Nick :rolleyes::cheers:

Anyways. were these for real or is it made up. it's probably as close as I might get to the real deal!!

This is a real tinsel star, Grand Officer, from the collection of the Belgian National Library

Jan

Edited by Vatjan

• 1 year later...

Hi I am Kostas

I thought it would be a good idea to post my most recent purchase a Grand Cross set of the Order of Leopold I with full sash and in a case of issue. Being Greek I haven't seen many of those so I am very happy :speechless: to actually get one of those.

The set is made by FONSON a firm in Brussels that doesn't exist any more. The sash badge is 70 mm and the star is 75 mm and it's date 1918-1951. :jumping:

Now because I am a new member I don't have large upload capacity to show you the pictures :( . So I asked Hendrik to do that for me- so pictures will follow

At this point I have to say a big thank you to Hendrik for all the above information and his help

:cheers: Kostas

... more to follow.

Hendrik

Edited by Hendrik

just picking up on this thread, I've not noticed this ribbon on any other awards posted. Does anyone have any info as to why mine has 2 gold stripes?, It appears to contemporary with the medal.

regards

Alex K

just picking up on this thread, I've not noticed this ribbon on any other awards posted. Does anyone have any info as to why mine has 2 gold stripes?, It appears to contemporary with the medal.

regards

Alex K

The ribbon with two gilded stripes was awarded to those who had shown extraordinary warservices. The same, but with a gilded star (with 5 points) was awarded to those who where mentioned to the "order van den dag" (dayorder?).

Is was bestowed in 1919 and in 1946.

Hi I am Kostas

I thought it would be a good idea to post my most recent purchase a Grand Cross set of the Order of Leopold I with full sash and in a case of issue. Being Greek I haven't seen many of those so I am very happy :speechless: to actually get one of those.

:cheers: Kostas

Nice set! Congratulations

Hello Alex K,

Belgian orders on a ribbon with 2 gold thread stripes near the edge indicate an award, in wartime, to a civilian for an act of bravery. The key word here is "civilian" : your Leopold Order on this ribbon is the military type (crossed swords in the suspension) and thus this, unfortunately, is an incorrect combination.

Here's the ribbon on the proper "civilian" badge :

Cheers,

Hendrik

Hello Alex K,

Belgian orders on a ribbon with 2 gold thread stripes near the edge indicate an award, in wartime, to a civilian for an act of bravery. The key word here is "civilian" : your Leopold Order on this ribbon is the military type (crossed swords in the suspension) and thus this, unfortunately, is an incorrect combination.

Here's the ribbon on the proper "civilian" badge :

Cheers,

Hendrik

Thanks for clearing that up.

regards

Alex

Another thing Alex, is your order a knight (silvered) or an officer (gilded). I can't make that up from your pictures as it is possible that the metal is starting to oxidise and give a gold/bronze kind uf shine.

If it is an officer there should also be a roset on the ribbon.

Another thing Alex, is your order a knight (silvered) or an officer (gilded). I can't make that up from your pictures as it is possible that the metal is starting to oxidise and give a gold/bronze kind uf shine.

If it is an officer there should also be a roset on the ribbon.

Hi It's a gold version, and not oxidised.

regards

Alex

What the medal or just the ribbon and rosette?

regards

Alex

I ment the ribbon, If you want to buy a replacement ribbon and roset for your specimen. I mean that it will cost you more then one euro. For American and English medals the price of a replacement ribbon is cheap becouse the demand is high. For a knight of the Leopold order it is ok, but the roset is more difficult.

It has been a wile since i went to a medal company to ask for a replacement ribbon so I can't say how much it can cost. maybee there is someone else here who can help you out? If you want that off course.