News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

On 24/12/2023 at 17:50, VtwinVince said:

I find the Epstein material particularly interesting, as some of my relatives were deported to Theresienstadt at the same time from Koenigsberg, East Prussia.

It´s a quite sad story, as Prince Leopold IV. tried everything to prevent the deportation of his personal friend Eppstein.

This photo of Dr. Hans Heinrich Lammers, Chef der Reichskanzlei is closely linked to Eppstein´s story, as the "award" of the Lippe-Detmold houseorder 2nd class with swords at the ring (which was "awarded" after 1918 by Lammers) was for sure a bribery of Prince Leopold IV. Eppstein and Lammers were comrades in the same regiment during WW1.

Lippe-Dr_Heinrich_Lammers-1938.jpg

It´s time to post a very special rose from my collection.
    Although it´s not an award, it´s still wearable...
    These sables were introduced in 1859 and worn until 1867 by ca. 25 officers of the "Lippische Fuesiliere".
    In 1912 Prince Leopold IV. decided, that the policeofficers from Lippe (25 officers) should wear again the old traditional uniforms of the Lippische Fuesiliere.
    Beside my sable (restored), I know five other pieces (2 are still in the castle of Detmold, one is/was offered bei Weitze, one is exhibited in a museum in Detmold and additional piece is in collector´s hands).

My sable was produced by Gustav Grah in Solingen, who produced only in 1860.

IMG_5565.JPG

IMG_xx5575.JPG

Lippe-Gendarm Knötel.jpg

Lippe-Leopold_IV-Portrait (Nr5)_März 1913.jpg

Lippe-Füsilier.jpg

What a fascinating object to own, Solomon - congratulations!

In British English (and probably elsewhere), 'police officer' is a term used for all members of the police force, even Constables and Sergeants. However, I suspect that you are using the term in the sense of commissioned officers. Was the Lippe police force a gendarmerie, i.e. was it run along military lines with a rank structure similar to the army? Do you know what its size was, typically? That it only had 25 officers suggests it wasn't very large. This seems like an interesting niche area for study!

The Lippe-gendarmerie was organzied like the Prussian gendarmerie, but much smaller.

There were only 22 policeofficers and one Oberst.
    Here is a photo from around 1900.

Gendarmeriecorps..jpg

20 hours ago, Solomon said:

The Lippe-gendarmerie was organzied like the Prussian gendarmerie, but much smaller.

There were only 22 policeofficers and one Oberst.

Very interesting! Many thanks for this information, Solomon.

Here is a nice litte group, unfortunately unnamed.

The Lippe-Detmold houseorder 4th class Div. A is a late one, produced by C.F. Zimmermann in Pforzheim, as well as the Lippische Rose 2nd class with oakleaves for art and science, which is a late Zimmermann-piece, too.

It´s likely, that the candidate received at least the Lippische Rose post 1918, as I couldn´t find a right candidate so far.
    Until November 1918 only 43 Lippische Rose(n) 2nd class for art and science were awarded in total, 4 women were decorated with it.

Lippe-2er-Spange-LH4a-KEM+LRos2mEL-VS.jpg

On 09/01/2024 at 17:50, VtwinVince said:

So both of these are from Schaumburg, but different coinages?

Yes, Schaumburg had three different models of the merit medal.

On 15/01/2024 at 00:39, lew said:

Ribbon bar of Hauptmann von Gillhaußen, Ordonnanz Offizier des Fürsten zur Lippe Detmold.

😱 Is it Leo von Gilhaußen?

I also have some documents of Leo von Gilhaußen in my collection...

Lippe-Leo von Gillhausen-Geburtsanzeige Sohn.jpg

Lippe-Leo von Gillhausen-Übersendung Urkunde LDH4a (1).jpg

Lippe-Leo von Gillhausen-Vermählungsanzeige.jpg

2 hours ago, Solomon said:

😱 Is it Leo von Gilhaußen?

I also have some documents of Leo von Gilhaußen in my collection...

Yes that’s Leo’s ribbon bar.

In the photo Leo and his wife Isabelle are on the left, together with his brothers Major Guido von Gillhaußen in the middle, Oberst Curt von Gillhaußen and his wife on the right.

18 hours ago, lew said:

Yes that’s Leo’s ribbon bar.

In the photo Leo and his wife Isabelle are on the left, together with his brothers Major Guido von Gillhaußen in the middle, Oberst Curt von Gillhaußen and his wife on the right.

Nice, I know, that some more award documents of this group are around in other collections, but I didn´t know, that his ribbonbar still exists.

Ok, time to post a quite unique award-document for Prince Ferdinand zur Lippe-Weißenfeld.

Prince Ferdinand got the 1st class of the Lippe-Detmold houseorder in 1931, but he was killed in action already in September 1939 in Poland.
    I also have the pictures of his funeral and some other documents regarding Lippe-Weißenfeld.

Weissenfeld-Urkunde-Ehrenkreuz-1Kl.jpg

20 minutes ago, VtwinVince said:

Do you know how this guy is related to the Luftwaffe ace Egmont zur Lippe?

Yes, it´s the same family, but the family tree is quite complex.

I would say, Ferdinand and Egmont were cousins 2nd grade.

On 18/01/2024 at 23:45, VtwinVince said:

Interesting that von Duering was married to a Forbes, they figure prominently in my family.

I, also, was fascinated as to how this could have come about and discovered a bit more at this link on thepeerage.com, a well-respected and usually reliable source,

https://www.thepeerage.com/p41343.htm#c413424.1

Interestingly, the mother of the bride wasn't directly a Forbes of Craigievar but came from a cadet branch descending from a younger son born in the mid eighteenth-century.

• 1 month later...