News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Queen introduces new military medal

If you click on the YouTube next the news story, you'll be able to see the new medal. Clearly modeled on the Mothers' Crosses and very attractive, IMHO, unlike some of the other modern stuff produced by various nations. Rule Britannia!

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

If you click on the YouTube next the news story, you'll be able to see the new medal. Clearly modeled on the Mothers' Crosses and very attractive, IMHO, unlike some of the other modern stuff produced by various nations. Rule Britannia!

Peter

Actually reminds me more of the Canadian memorial cross, ((or is it called the Mothers cross in Canada), not to be confused with the TR MK))

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=h...sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Edited by Alex K

Certainly based on the Canadian version - and I'm sure will be worn with pride. I know Canada , Australia and Sth. Africa have all issued family medals - but, apart from the 'Death Plaques' of WW1 is this the first time the UK has issued such a medal ?

Certainly based on the Canadian version - and I'm sure will be worn with pride. I know Canada , Australia and Sth. Africa have all issued family medals - but, apart from the 'Death Plaques' of WW1 is this the first time the UK has issued such a medal ?

Don't Forget New Zealand also has a very similar cross based on the Canadian one. As for your question yep first time something like this has been done by the UK. However campaign medals would be issued to the next of kin but nothing specifically for honouring the casualties memory.

It's also interesting in another way as it may turn what were once complete medal groups in ones collection into broken groups. All it would take is the next of kin applying for this medal after selling off the previous group decades ago.......

Cheers

Chris

You raise a good point with separate issue - but, would that make it a 'broken group' ??

I would say a broken family group.

issued sooooo long after the fact for some actions it is sure that many medals are looong gone.

I imagine evaluation by conflict, faking the engraving etc. are going o be a huuuuge can of worms.

hopefully they will be named?

• 3 weeks later...

I have been through the MOD website articles but am still unclear about the eligibility for this new decoration.

Are the next of kin of those who served in Commonwealth units in say the MauMau rebellion in Kenya, Malayan Emergency and Konfrontasi eligible.

Examples of such units would be the Gurkha Brigade, Rhodesian SAS, Fiji Military Forces, and KAR. Some of these were, of course, were treated as part of the British Army in the Army List while others were strictly colonial forces.

Has anyone got a clearer idea about this? Are we going to have a repeat of the recent Gurkha War if Gurkha widows are left out?

Cheers

James

I have been through the MOD website articles but am still unclear about the eligibility for this new decoration.

Are the next of kin of those who served in Commonwealth units in say the MauMau rebellion in Kenya, Malayan Emergency and Konfrontasi eligible.

Examples of such units would be the Gurkha Brigade, Rhodesian SAS, Fiji Military Forces, and KAR. Some of these were, of course, were treated as part of the British Army in the Army List while others were strictly colonial forces.

Has anyone got a clearer idea about this? Are we going to have a repeat of the recent Gurkha War if Gurkha widows are left out?

Cheers

James

According to the UKDF DefenceWebsite - http://ukdf.blogspot.com/2009/07/hm-queen-...beth-cross.html

The Elizabeth Cross and Memorial Scroll will not just be granted to families who have lost loved ones in the recent operations in Iraq and Afghanistan. The Queen?s recognition will also be available to the families of those who died in conflicts dating back to 1948, including the Korean War, the Falklands conflict and operations in Northern Ireland.

Hopefully, they won't do like the Canadian Memorial Cross, which can now be awarded to 3 next-of-kin. We now have a situation where there probably will be 3 Memorial Crosses to the same recipient. Adds a new dimension to the collecting of this award.

Here is the link: http://www.cmp-cpm.forces.gc.ca/dhr-ddhr/c...-eng.asp?ref=MC

Jean-Paul

Hopefully, they won't do like the Canadian Memorial Cross, which can now be awarded to 3 next-of-kin. We now have a situation where there probably will be 3 Memorial Crosses to the same recipient. Adds a new dimension to the collecting of this award.

Jean-Paul

I've seen one photo - wasn't smart enough to cut it out or copy it - of relatives of a Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan. The man's mother (?) and girl friend/partner are both wearing Mother's Crosses as they watch the casket unloaded from a plane. I can only assume that the crosses were given them - probably unnamed, I'd guess - by the notification party or some member of the reception party.

Anyone else seen anything similar lately: very quick (& multiple) awards of the Mother's Cross?

Peter

Edited by peter monahan

I've seen one photo - wasn't smart enough to cut it out or copy it - of relatives of a Canadian soldier killed in Afghanistan. The man's mother (?) and girl friend/partner are both wearing Mother's Crosses as they watch the casket unloaded from a plane. I can only assume that the crosses were given them - probably unnamed, I'd guess - by the notification party or some member of the reception party.

Anyone else seen anything similar lately: very quick (& multiple) awards of the Mother's Cross?

Peter

Peter,

Prior to deployment, Canadian soldiers fill out a form naming the 3 recipients that will receive the Memorial Cross, should they become a casulty.

Jean-Paul