News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

More info on Felmy:

from http://www.ww2.dk/misc/bio.htm#Felmy

Hellmuth Felmy

GenMaj 1.1.36, GenLt 20.4.37, General der Flieger 4.2.38

1.4.35 - 30.6.38 Kommandeur der Fliegerschule Cottbus

1.7.38 - 31.1.39 Befehlshaber Luftwaffengruppenkommando 2*

1.2.39 - 12.1.40 Chef der Luftflotte 2

20.5.41 - 20.6.41 Chef der Wehrmachtmission im Irak/Sonderstab F

21.6.41 - 11.9.42 Befehlshaber Südgriechenland

11.9.42 - 27.3.43 Kommandeur Generalkommando z.b.V. Felmy

28.3.43 - 8.12.44 Kommandeur Generalkommando LXVIII. Armee-Korps

9.12.44 - 8.5.45 Kommandeur Generalkommando XXXIV. Armee-Korps

* also Befehlshaber Nord

Interesting...anyone else notice that the caption is written in english. Did he have an english-speaking fan that collected his photograph?

Very well spotted Claudius! :cheers: It could be a possibility!

Matt

After WWI Falke coming back as a POW tried to get the recognition from the newly established republic of Weimar, in order to get benefits or even a job in the 100'000 shrunk German army... Here a Major and commanding officer vouching for Falke's skills...

Edited by Claudio

Claudio, this just gets more and more interesting. I didn't know Falke was CO of Kampfstaffel 24. The Beurteilung is written by Hauptmann Hermann Kastner at Karlshorst, and he was CO of Bombengeschwader 7, in which my uncle served as Flugzeugfuehrer in Kampfstaffel 22. He got the Ehrenbecher in 1918 for shooting a Spad off the CO's tail. It is quite likely that my uncle knew Falke from this time.

@ Pierce: Thanks for your kind words. ;)

His CV, written as presentation letter, for his career... quite an interesting WWI service status, I must say... after the Palestinian/Ottoman front he was transferred back to France where, during a bombing mission over Paris, was taken prisoner.

Interesting Lebenslauf, he was a very early member of the Fliegertruppe. My uncle also used to tell me about the raids on Paris with his Gotha, although he normally flew Albatros CIII. Any idea where his Grossordensspange is?

No Vince, I have no idea where his medal bar could be... the auctioneer didn't give any details more. Maybe he didn't have a medal bar, had his WWI decorations not mounted, but had for sure more than 1 set of ribbon bars. As you can see from the pictures he wore also a 1 row ribbon bar and in my group there's one with 2 rows...

If there was one medal bar and was assembled by the same Ordenslieferant-Juwelier who put together the miniatures (Godet), it must have been quite a sight... :speechless:

Edited by Claudio

• 2 weeks later...

Köhl's assessment of Falke (Falke's commanding officer and squadron leader) saying that, if he hadn't been taken prisoner shortly before war end, he would have feel obliged to propose Falke to be awarded with the Pour le Mérite... :rolleyes:

• 7 months later...

Falke's Ehrenbecher is being sold by Thies (43rd auction):

184. Ehrenbecher "Dem Sieger im Luftkampf", verliehen an Oberleutnant Richard Falke, Führer der Bomberstaffel 24. Silber. In der Wandung oberhalb des Schriftreifes Silberstempel "800", Krone, Halbmond und Reichsadler sowie im Boden Signum des Chefs des Feldflugwesens. Auf der Innenseite des Schriftreifsockels die eingeschlagene Nummer 34. Innenwandung vergoldet. Dazu das Übersendungsschreiben des Kommandos der Flieger-Ersatz-Abteilung für den dem Oberleutnant Richard Falke verliehenen Ehrenbecher, "Dem Sieger im Luftkampf". Datiert Charlottenburg, den 18. Juli 1918. Abschrift des Besitzzeugnises für das durch das Kommando der k.u.k. Luftfahrertruppen an OberleutnantFalke, Führer der Bomberstaffel 24, verliehene k.u.k. Luftfahrerabzeichen. Ausgestellt vom kommandierenden General der Luftstreitkräfte gez. Thomsen. Mit Dienstsiegel des königlich preußischen Bombergeschwaders 7. Dazu Miniatur des Abzeichens. Beigefügt ein Originalfoto Oberleutnant Falkes.

Die erstmals im Dezember 1915 an die Jagdflieger Oswald Boelcke und Max Immelmann verliehenen Ehrenbecher wurden an die Piloten der Jastas jeweils zum 1. Luftsieg verliehen.Sie wurden aus einem patriotischen Fonds finanziert, der dem Chef des Feldflugwesens (von der Lieth-Thomsen)zur Verfügung gestellt worden war. Bereits Ende 1916 ging man jedoch dazu über, statt der Silberpokale Ersatzmaterialien wie Eisen etc. zu verwenden. Gegen Kriegsende wurden gar keine Pokale, sondern nur noch Verleihungsurkunden ausgegeben. Sehr schönes Exemplar in feiner Qualität und Erhaltung. Der gehämmerte Effekt in der Wandung deutlich sichtbar und unverputzt. Nur wenige Pokale waren nummeriert, Diese Exemplare sind von großer Seltenheit. Schönes und sehr seltenes Konvolut.

Zustand 1 – 2. Eur 12.500.-

Too bad that I have been shopping quite a lot lately...

Whoever who will win this auction can contact me if he wants to buy my group, to keep intact.

Ciao,

Claudio

post-199-032039100 1290168606_thumb.jpg

Edited by Claudio