News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

I do believe you're right.

I see nobody really offered a firm opinion but seems Trevor thinks it may be a ordenspange piece.  I don't see how anyone could think it Austrian. 

Trevor thinks it a "zweistuck" if I am stating the correcting for a medal bar cross not issue.  Really not much opinion on the WAF. To me it appears the sword hilts are attached to the crosses lower arm. IDK, it's an interesting cross but only ilwhen it was $300-400

I don't participate much on the WAF since Rick R left it and there used to be some very rude people commenting. There are some really good people over there that know their stuff and are helpful but I don't agree with HAVING to pay $25.00 annually to post images. If it were voluntary I would donate but I don't often and hate resizing images to post, etc. I bust to see what Chip, Tony S, and a few others post.

GMIC is a nicer place IMO. 

I notice the participation is low at GMIC, WAF, and Picklehaube.com. I wonder if people are tired of sharing or collecting less than in the past  

• 2 weeks later...

In my opinion this piece is most probably a good Red Eagle Order that has had swords attached to it by a collector some time long after the war.

One can't discount the possibility it is a Spangenstück but it strikes me as farfetched, and anyway: who wants a Spangenstück for $700?

Here is an original award type RAO4X with correct swords, hollow gold and screwed into the order's cylinder.

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg

On 4/25/2016 at 18:43, ccj said:

Trevor thinks it a "zweistuck"

Just a clarification: I said it was possibly a zweitstück but more probably a good RAO4 that has been faked into an RAO4X.

I guess there are a number of possibilities? Maybe a jewller who had a supply of RAO4 but a big demand for RAO4X ?

Is there such a price difference that it makes it worth to add swords nowdays?

I guess there are a number of possibilities? Maybe a jewller who had a supply of RAO4 but a big demand for RAO4X ?

13 minutes ago, Chris Boonzaier said:

With only about 600 awards of this type, I doubt there was ever a high demand for them. They're very rare.

A good RAO4 should cost under $300, while a good award-type RAO4X would cost $2000+ if you can find one.

So I guess the incentive is there for someone to fake it.

On May 6, 2016 at 12:20, Streptile said:

In my opinion this piece is most probably a good Red Eagle Order that has had swords attached to it by a collector some time long after the war.

One can't discount the possibility it is a Spangenstück but it strikes me as farfetched, and anyway: who wants a Spangenstück for $700?

Here is an original award type RAO4X with correct swords, hollow gold and screwed into the order's cylinder.

IMG_4075.jpg

IMG_4089.jpg