News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Deciphering a Signature

Ian

Bayern,

Thanks for the response. I can not find a Grunberger in Schmidt-Brentano's list of Generals.   I am 99% certain that who ever he is he is a Feldmarschalleutnant. 

It makes sense . Grosspapa. Ian : looking the photo I note that the Grosspapa wears what appears to be a Dragoon Oberstleutnant uniform . Light blue with regimental colour collar ,one row of plain buttons and the left shoulder gold and black Achselschlinge of the Cavalry

My initial thought was he was an Artillery officer, but cavalry is just as probable.   I could not get a clear enough enlargement to be certain.

This one is definitely a signature and it belongs to a Generalmajor...any idea?

GM 1917-signature.jpg

GM 1917.jpg

Unfortunately, other than the greeting there is nothing else written  on the reverse.    Now that I know that the first part is Gruss,,,, I can see it, but the remainder is a blur.

Originally when I first looked at it I thought it was Graf......

Edited by Ian

I stick to my original guess. Also note that the connection line to the ss starts at the top which should make the preceding (round) letter an o rather than an u which looks different (see chart). Appears to be a child's handwriting.

p2.jpg

Edited by saxcob

• 2 weeks later...

I am 95% sure it is "Großpapa",

On 14/08/2020 at 04:13, The Prussian said:

It´s a shame, that the "young" germans like me (52) didn´t learn the old scripts in school...

I am in my twenties and feel the same, I had to learn it myself...would be nice if at least it would be learned during art class.

Edited by Utgardloki

11 hours ago, Elmar Lang said:

I agree it's written "Großpapa".

I'm 62 and Italian, but I thank my parents, both fluent in German, for having taught me the Kurrentschrift (aka "Sütterlin" in a later form), when I was a young boy...

Dear Sir, I would like to ask you a question that has nothing to do with this question. During the First World War, will soldiers and generals of the Austro-Hungarian Empire wear the medals and orders of the enemy countries (belligerents)?

1812 , The answer is Yes and No . yes because they were not regulations at the beggining of the War to the matter , No because soon was decided that all the regimental Names were discarded  due to the fact that many were of Monarchs of enemy Powers .

7 hours ago, Bayern said:

1812 , The answer is Yes and No . yes because they were not regulations at the beggining of the War to the matter , No because soon was decided that all the regimental Names were discarded  due to the fact that many were of Monarchs of enemy Powers .

OK, what about neutral countries? For example, Spain, Sweden