News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

medal to a Papal Zouave.

A very different item I have had on my secret list for years.
    Some of the things you do not expect to come by, ever...
    A medal to a Flemish Papal Zouave!
    Flanders has allways be a land of landsknechten but specialy for the Vatican, many Flemish boys enlisted.
    I am not religious but just, like the TR periode, this chapter of our history do interest me.
    It is not in yet, so better pic's will come up later.

120603095_1461360770727696_4473482928334901931_n (1).jpg

Edited by Stuka f

Very nice, reminds me of a painting of a Dutch Papal zouave which can be viewed in the Basilica of Oudenbosch in the Netherlands. It was the gathering place of the Dutch Papal troops. The town still has a zouave-museum and several monuments. I'll have a look in my gallery to see if I have any pictures.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Thanks for your reply.

Would love to see them.

There is a original and nicely framed pic for sale at the momment on the Belgian "tweedehands" site.

The guy seemed to have the uniform too, but sold it.

It is in, some better pic's;

RIMG4537 (2).JPG

RIMG4542 (2).JPG

RIMG4543.JPG

RIMG4544 (2).JPG

The document says;
    la santita di nostro signore si é degnata concedere una distinzione onorifica al soldat comune De Wispelaere Basile dei zuavi pontificii in attestato dei servizi resi nelle difesa della sant sede e delle proveche ha dato della sua divozione anche dopo che il corpo venne disciolto.
    Il tenente colonello comandante il reggimento ha il piacere di transmettere al medesimo la medaglia di bronze secondo il tenore del breve del dieci.
    Marzo mille ottencento novant uno il cui originale si conserva nell archivio della secretario del stato.
    Per ordine
    Charette
    Basse Motte 27giugno 1891

In English;

the sanctity of our lord deigned to grant an honorary distinction to the common soldier De Wispelaere Basile of the pontifical Zouaves in attestation of the services rendered in the defense of the holy see and the proves that he gave of his devotion even after the regiment was dissolved.
    The lieutenant colonel commanding the regiment has the pleasure of handing him the bronze medal according to the tenor of the ten short (!?).
    March one thousand eight hundred ninety one, the original of which is kept in the archives of the state secretary.
    By order
    Charette
    Basse Motte 27th June 1891

Athanase de Charette de la Contrie .1832 1911 was the last Colonel of the Pontifical Zouaves. In September of 1870 the defeat of Sedan allowed the Italian Army to conquer Rome and so ended the Pontifical State . the Regiment of Zouaves was dismissed but Charette returned to France with many men offered their services to Leon Gambetta and the Government of the National Defense . they acepted but with the name of Legion de Volontaires de le Ouest . The Legion fought bravely . Charette was ascended to the rank of General . He dont went with his men to the Repression of the Commune of Paris not because he simpatized with the Communards but for not to shot Frenchmen . A interesting man and the Zouaves itself a interesting miltary corps . very different of other hired soldiers . 

Indeed.

The medal was given 25 to 30 years after the facts to every zouave still alive.

The document also says "the proves that he gave of his devotion even after the regiment was dissolved"

...must mean something! ??

As a child I was allways fascinated by the Papual zouaves on display at our national museum.

I have been searching for flemish volunteers stuff ever since.

I am nearly 60 and here it is.

Uniforms_of_the_Belgian_Papal_Zouaves.JPG

What a great thread! 

I was once lucky enough, on a film shoot, to work with a dozen old rifles whose slings were marked 'ZP', which we assumed meant 'Zoauves Papal'.  They were the property of the Canadian Broadcasting Corproation, which has a huge presence in Quebec, where a number of the Zoauves were recruited, so I've always assumed some brought their weappons hiome with them.  Who knows?  But, yes, a fascinating group of men for many reasons.

Thanks for sharing, gents. :)

Peter

13 hours ago, peter monahan said:

What a great thread! 

I was once lucky enough, on a film shoot, to work with a dozen old rifles whose slings were marked 'ZP', which we assumed meant 'Zoauves Papal'.  They were the property of the Canadian Broadcasting Corproation, which has a huge presence in Quebec, where a number of the Zoauves were recruited, so I've always assumed some brought their weappons hiome with them.  Who knows?  But, yes, a fascinating group of men for many reasons.

Thanks for sharing, gents. :)

Peter

Peter,  They were Chassepots ? In 1868 from 4952 men of all ranks they were 135 Canadians in the Regiment ,really it was a Brigade rather than a Regiment. I think in Chassepots because they were the last rifles that they employed,  Probably by 1866 they were armed with Lorenz rifles . because of the good relations with Austria the major Catholic state .  En fin , Its a very fascinating historic theme that of the Army of the Pope King .

On 14/10/2020 at 22:08, Bayern said:

Peter,  They were Chassepots ?... I think in Chassepots because they were the last rifles that they employed,  Probably by 1866 they were armed with Lorenz rifles .

I'm pretty sure they were NOT Chassepot because I wouldn't have recognized that rifle in those days - I was 22, so this was 43 years ago.  My strong recollection is that they were Sniders, repurposed to fire 12 guage shotgun shells.  So, the slings with the markings may have been added later or the letters have stood for something else, though I can't think what.' 

Sorry, that;s not much help. :(

P

• 1 month later...
    • 1 year later...

I read somewhere that the Canadian Papal Zouaves used a variety of rifles, Sniders, Chassepots, and Gras - I assume whatever a unit could source from Quebec.

Since the Lebel entered French service in 1886, there would have been a lot of surplus rifles around by c. 1900.

• 1 year later...

Found this from former Medal-Medaille site: 

Decoration of the Pontifical Zouaves (Décoration des Zouaves Pontificaux / Decorazione di Zuavi Pontifici),   
    http://www.medal-medaille.com/images/pixel_trans.gif
    http://www.medal-medaille.com/images/IT676a.jpg
    Click to enlarge

Gilt cross with three transverse arms, with eyelet for ribbon suspension; the face with the three-tiered Papal Tiara imposed centrally, the upper and lower arms inscribed ‘PRO DEO’ and ‘PONTIFICE’ (For God and Pontiff) respectively; the reverse plain gilt; diameter 9.56mm (0.38 inch); on original ribbon. The Decoration was established in 1890 and originally awarded to the Papal Zouaves, Catholic volunteers, especially from France and the Low Countries, who had defended the Holy See from 1859 to 1870 during the Italian Risorgimento. It was later awarded also to those who defended the Church in the media, politics and the arts. The Decoration is rarely found..

image.png.4e3fb1a1563b0f4e785ceaf97bcaf6be.png

Edited by 922F

• 2 months later...