News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Schlesischer Adler / Silesian Eagles

Ralph, nice. Some of the Silesian birdies were made after the Weimar period. I have an LDO example with a clam-shell screwback I've posted before. For those who didn't see it the first time, here it is one last time.

Les

The only one I have, in a group.

Advance apologoies for ignorance: Can anyone provide some background to this award and those who received it? Just how odious were these boys? Bad as the Freicorps types?

Edited by Ed_Haynes

Hi,

Love that enameled Meybauer at the top of the thread!

I've never managed to pick up a second class of this award - never found the one that was quite right for me.

My 4 examples are below. Intersting how the solid Meybauers always seem to have a GOLD/BRONZE finish to them - it seems to be more than a basemetal effect.

Regards

Mike

Obverse...

Ed, as far as i know, the Schlesian Eagle was awarded to Members of the Borderguard of the 6th Army Corps.

2nd class for 3 months good conduct in the borderguards for Schlesia.

1st class for 6 months good conduct in the borderguards for Schlesia.

The badge had to be purchased by the awardees themself. Versions with swords or swords/oaks were unofficial.

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

Guest Brian von Etzel

Can anyone provide some background to this award and those who received it? Just how odious were these boys? Bad as the Freicorps types?

Can anyone shed some light on why all these veterans were deserving of being hated? "Odious".

This is my uncle who was 'there' post WWI. To my knowledge, limited, he was a nice guy but if something odious occurred, I'm curious.

Literature on Weimar military engagements has eluded me. Any good reference ideas?

Edited by Brian von Etzel