News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Collection of Soviet Orders and Medals

• 2 months later...
    • Replies 52
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for the late response Gerd. I don't show up very often in the Collectors Showcase forum and stick more to the Communism forum. I have to admit that you have an impressive collection after only 2 years and some months. It's been also for me in August-September my second collecting year of Soviet medals. Too bad we haven't started earlier when they were dirt cheap.

You made a nice presentation and did well by framing them. Too made I didn't manage to add time to visit you and see your collection while I was in Germany. I hope next time I'll be able.

Congratulations again and I must also admit that I really like the Red Banner display case!

It seems that you prefer to collect the groups and the Red Banners. Do you also have some Liberation, Capture and Defence medals outside of the ones you have in groups?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response Gerd. I don't show up very often in the Collectors Showcase forum and stick more to the Communism forum. I have to admit that you have an impressive collection after only 2 years and some months. It's been also for me in August-September my second collecting year of Soviet medals. Too bad we haven't started earlier when they were dirt cheap.

You made a nice presentation and did well by framing them. Too made I didn't manage to add time to visit you and see your collection while I was in Germany. I hope next time I'll be able.

Congratulations again and I must also admit that I really like the Red Banner display case!

It seems that you prefer to collect the groups and the Red Banners. Do you also have some Liberation, Capture and Defence medals outside of the ones you have in groups?

Hello Bryan,

thanks for the compliments. Like the title implies, its more an addiction sometimes. You are right, i wish, i would have started in 1991 or even in 95, when Red Banners and the most screwback orders were cheap compared to today. But you have a very nice collection too now. I am following the progress and you bought some nice groups too, i have seen.

Here are the Liberation, and Defense Medals i have, except the one shown in this thread:

Liberation of Prague with Document

Defense of Leningrad

Defense of Polar Region

and a Warsaw Document, which looks urgently for a Medal to go with it.

Beside that only a few bits and pieces nothing exiting.

Btw, i have just made some changes in this thread and put together this frame with all my single documented Labor awards:

Thanks again :beer:

best,

Gerd

• 3 weeks later...

Here is a little display with the only award, i have from my family. A KVK 2nd class with swords awarded to my mother Edith Becker as a Marinehelferin in 1943 for bravery during and air raid on the Kiel Harbor, which she defended with the flak-unit she was attached to. She managed to keep the contact between the single weapon emplacements and she was the only one of the female communication team, who stayed on her place during the raid. Like she told me, it was not exaclty due to bravery, but due to the fact, that she hated to go into the bunker and prefered to stay outside, even during the airraid. As a coincidence the bunker was hit on this day and several of her comrades died.

She remembers very well, when she received the award in front of her complete unit, about 200 people. Of course she was very proud. Unfortunately she had to throw away the award document, when she escaped the russians after the war in the later East Germany.

The eagle was a gift of another collector, John v.d. Heiden and i added it to the display, as she would have worn an eagle like this.

Thanks for looking

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a few single medals and documents laying around and though, i put the fitting together in simple Picture-frames. These are not groups or belong together (except Prague), but i like it better this way than stored away in a drawer.

Here is the first. Warsaw. I received the Warsaw-Medal and the Ribbonbar today.

I agree, they definately look better in my collection. :D

Still don?t have enough Hungarian Medals to do a decent display and i will need advice and sources soon. I?ll talk to you about this, as soon as i can afford it. Just got a fat research-bill, which means, no purchases the next months :(:speechless1:

• 4 weeks later...
    • 1 month later...
    • 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, Auke. :beer: I have to update the photo with the OPW?s, as i have a few more now. I am also completely addicted to soviet screwbacks, especially the OPW?s, both classes, even the 85 issue?s are nice in mint condition. Like you say, just beautiful. :jumping:

Thanks again!

Gerd

• 1 month later...

I see that you have edited your post! You've got an amazing collection of OPW's. And a nice way of mounting them! :love:

Thanks once again, Auke. I am a symetry-fanatic :cheeky: I have noticed, that the best way to keep OPW?s is to screw them simply on cardboard, as it does absolutely no harm to them.

I really like this order, both classes are beautiful and its a Combat award, at least mostly, and there are a lot of interesting variations of the 2nd class. Beside that, i have had a very succesful research-rate with OPW?s, as far as i can say that with my little collection.

Glad, you like it :cheers:

Gerd

Edited by Gerd Becker