News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Daniel,

I had thought that a one year volunteer would have been commisioned shortly after his one year of service was completed.

Firstly it should be understood that NOT all former "One Year Volunteers" were in fact commissioned. The soldier had to successfully pass his final exam in his unit before being appointed a Reserve-Officer Aspirant and receive a certificate of competence certifying to his suitability for a reserve commission. Those who did not necessarily fulfil the criteria could be released into the reserves as NCO Aspirants or at worst case as normal private soldiers.

Assuming our former "One Year Volunteer" was appointed a Reserve-Officer Aspirant he would attend two annual exercises of eight weeks preferably in the next two consecutive years following his release from his active year with the colours. He participated in the first (?bung A) as an Unteroffizier der Reserve where he was instructed in the duties of a section and platoon commander in combat exercises, field firing and field service. At the conclusion of ?bung A he would take a practical and theoretical examination. Should he be successful he was promoted to Vizefeldwebel/Vizewachtmeister der Reserve/Landwehr.

The following year he would attend ?bung B where he would perform the duties of an officer. Following the successful completion of yet another examination his Regimental Commander had to then agree to recommend him for a Reserve or Landwehr commission. Then his recommendation for a commission would have to be approved in a vote of the officers of his Landwehr District. This final hurdle passed, it only remained for Imperial and Royal approval and the individual received his patent as a Leutnant der Reserve/Landwehr. The earliest an individual could be approved of by the officers of his district was two full years following his discharge from his active year.

Regards

Glenn

Guest Rick Research

1935 "Wer Ist's?"

[attachmentid=14505]

To clarify: what EXACTLY does the German say for his Treudienstehrenzeichen on 26 October 1938? 25 years would be silver, and 40 years would be gold. His resum? appears to start in 1900, but since his dissertation was in 1899, he may have had a couple of teaching jobs by then that aren't shown and would have gotten him the 40 in 1938. A display of the medals he would have gotten would go real nice with that! :beer:

Any photos of him?

Joe .. I've visited your site quite a lot recently and I must say how impressed I am. One hell of a lot of information and experience there. Just tell me where do you find those helmets?

Thanks for the replies, they've been a great help. I think my next step is to join pickelhaube.com as well.

Edited by Mike Huxley

Thanks the web site is a lot of fun, because the keys my own head straight. I have no idea how Rick keeps all the stuff in his head. He knows what reference to go to. I have to write it down My brain is too full. It also is a monument to voice-activated software misspellings and all.

I recently received the catalog from Neumann. This is changed at least three thoughts on helmets. I read did the one year volunteer helmet article. More to come.

Where do I get the helmets? Private sales and auctions, primarily. I'm glad you have found the slippery slope. All of us junkies like to have more addicts.

His Wehrstammbuch entry for the award reads "Gold Treudienstkreuz 26.10.38" At this time he was a Hauptmann d.R. in the Reichs Luftschutz Bund. The entry from the book that you showed was him, could you translate what it says. Some I can understand, most not. His family kept most of the family items including medals. His vast amount of personal and family papers were placed in large piles in the yard and burned, no one in the family wanted them. In addition to the spiked helmet with the case and two camo covers, I have his 1907 Feldrock dated 1909 and marked to the 11th Company of I.R.164, His OYV enlisted belt, His mint dress Feldbinde, two additional should boards, a photo album from 1914-15 showing the 164th mobilizing and in the field. I have two photos of him from the regimental history which he helped write. The first is as second in command of the 11th Co. in August/ September 1914. Hptmn. Assmann was killed on Sept 7th of that year.

Dan Murphy

IPB Image

For a lot of this information, I was relying on the memory of the gentleman I got this grouping from. In most cases his memory was excellent. His telling of the family history was only slightly added to when I found the family genealogy. He knew the name of the son that died in Normandy, started with an E. I found a reference to an Egge Heeren, (an old family name, which was also the name of the grandson he went to college with in the 60's) being killed at Normandy. When I asked the gentleman, he said "yes that was him" The son now known as Erhard, served in the Reichswehr and then in the Wehrmacht as a company grade officer before he was actually killed in Normandy. I know nothing of the other son, the gentleman never mentioned him when we spoke. Seeing that the Professor was married in 1910, I had surmised that the son would have most likely, have had to be born in 1911- 1912. This was using 20 years of age when he started service. (I know it is possible to join as early as 17). At least now, I have a correct name and date of birth so that perhaps, I may be able to get his records as well. Thank you all (especially Rick) for helping me get some of this mis-information corrected. Rick, in this book "Wer Ists" are there any entries for the sons Erhard and Friedrich?

Dan Murphy

Edited by Daniel Murphy

• 7 years later...
    • 2 months later...
    • 3 weeks later...

QUOTE(Mike Huxley @ Oct 29 2005, 10:15 )

Thanks Daniel for your comments. I beleive the helmet to be for an NCO/OYV in 1st Bavarian Schwere Reiter Regiment, 1897 model with the large Wappen. In fact it's arrived this morning so I'll get busy taking some closer shots.

Go on ... please show us your 164th jumping.gif I've only seen a picture of one of these in Randy's new book ... so some closer ones would be fantastic. More important though is having one that is ID'd ohmy.gifcool.gif

Cheers, Mike

Mike,

Here you go, this was the best I could do at night inside with bad lighting. This was with a uniform grouping I got that belonged to Hauptmann d. R. Arnold Wilhelm Friedrich Ferdinand Heeren 1876-1974. The grouping was acquired from the immediate family by a fine gentleman and friend of the Heeren family after the Mr. Heeren passed in 1974. He went to college with the grandson of Mr. Heeren and met him numerous times. I have his entire family history, his geneaology back to 1580, and his military records from the Bundesarchiv.

DSCN0140.jpg

What a handsome looking haube

• 3 weeks later...

Here is an interesting recent pickup........

That's very nice indeed.

Did anyone see this http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ww1-relic-pickelhaube-with-bullet-embedded-battle-demaged-german-helmet-trench-/131097682702?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=RznB7MzNnnnEqBnXUPrB%252B4tRd4s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I was thinking of bidding on it but it sold for far more than I was prepared to spend.

Tony

Edited by Tony

Funny I saw this....if you were into relics it could be fun especially if you knew were it was picked up and you could attributed to a battle, I know trench found relic helmets are fetching money....

• 4 weeks later...

Few of mine........

Sure no problems

From left to right; 20th Ulans, Brunswick Hussars, Jager zu Pferde, , Bavarian Raupenhelm, Prussian infantry M15, Prussian Shako (marked "F MGA 6" Festungs-Maschinengewehr-Abteilung Nr.6 Posen), War time cuirassier, Guard Jager, Prussian Artillery M15, Leib-hussar

Edited by dante

and a few more...

From left to right; Prussian Landwehr, Prussian Guard, Prussian Beamte, Würtemberg Dragoons, Prussian Guard ,Baden (marked "LJR 110" Badisches Landwehr-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 110) and Prussian 1908 prototype

Edited by dante