News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

Ebay medal bar

Looks real and very nice-I'd wager navy with an ek2 in the button hole.

I think RR has the numbers for the Finnish medal-and there weren't many awarded.

No EKII - the bar with the Hindenburg Cross added in the thirties would have the EKII as well added.

Hardy

No EKII - the bar with the Hindenburg Cross added in the thirties would have the EKII as well added.

Hardy

Ideally yes-but not always.

There was a fashion statement of "wearing the highest decoration in the button hole".

Ideally yes-but not always.

There was a fashion statement of "wearing the highest decoration in the button hole".

But lower ranks like this dude were not allowed fashion statements were they ? :-)

"But Sarge... its all the mode in Sachsen..."

You think he wasn't an officer in 1940-IF he was recalled (not no LS medals)?

One might have supposed that THIS tidbit in the button hole merited mounting, but still not by 1940, when this snapshot was taken.

I have other photos ( 1935-39) to back up my statement.

Edited by Ulsterman

Guest Rick Research

Yes, but those were SPECIAL awards, not run of the mill. For the sort of enlisted awards that if an officer, were mainly worn at the neck, or before 1935 had precedence before the generic Iron Cross. Gore Vidal here has even done that with his Prussian Gold Military Merit Cross-- but it is THIS level of award that got the Special Fashion Treatment:

This fellow was probably a simple private or sailor to have gotten the Finnish Bronze medal of Liberty, and never had anything beyond the Hanseatic Cross from his native Hamburg. I have and have had several junior enlisted groups where a home state award came before--often long before-- an EK2. The war ran out before he could earn anything else-- especially if navy.

There were 8,716 Medals of Liberty 2nd Class 1918 BUT of the not quite 14,000 total--counting the 1st Class Silver ones, only 2,266 of BOTH Medals went to Germans. So figure 1/2 to 2/3 of the combined 2,266 for ACTUAL number of Bronzes guesstimate to Germans.

Welcome your thoughts on this little puppy, just purchased also th criteria for the Finnish awards, as ever thanks, Paul

Hello!

I like it a lot and the finnich medals.Congrats and thanks for showing. :jumping::jumping::jumping:

All the best :beer:

Nesredep

Ulsterman, what is the medal the Luftwaffe Officer is wearing in his button hole?

Also, can you please post that photo in the LW uniforms section(entire uniform and a close up of the tabs and boards)? This is the first LW Reserve Officer I have ever seen in a period photo! :jumping:

Paul:

Will do on Monday-baseball beckons.

You've convinced me-although the clinching proof is the ribbon bar and minis sans Ek2.

However, I do have counterproof photos....... :Cat-Scratch:

Ulsterman, is the photo you posted of the reserve LW officer above actually dated 1940?

Thanks.

Scott

No-

It came in an envelope with @ 10 photos of French POWs...so I supposed....

Hardy

Would they be automatically awarded the EK if they had been awarded foreign medals?

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome your thoughts on this little puppy, just purchased also th criteria for the Finnish awards, as ever thanks, Paul

I?ve just bough another similar (finn medal, but no bravery medal) bar...this time he comes with EKII, but a Kolonial denkm?tze is missing...I?m searching for one.

Regards and Greetings

Miguel