News Ticker
  • I am now accepting the following payment methods: Card Payments, Apple Pay, Google Pay and PayPal
  • Latest News

• 6 months later...

Hello,

after a long dry periode I was able to get my hands on this :jumping:

A Waldeck Non-Com-Bar with Verdienstkreuz 4. class and Friedrich-Bathildis-Medal.

The FB medal is a so called "Spangenst?ck" with Ring-suspension and without maker`s mark.

The awarded pieces look like the one above shown by Pinpon or my own (see number 66 in this thread).

Guest Rick Research

Ah :love: . If somebody would work on the CIVIL "non swords" awards rolls, that would probably be identifiable. Great array of home service/war effort awards to a HIGHLY decorated person. THREE states' war merit awards... just great! :cheers:

I assume that the owner of the bar wasn`t Herr Damm - Flaschenbierh?ndler (Beer Bottle Dealer) zu Bad Wildungen, who was awarded the FB-Medal on 02.08.1917 :beer:

With the help of the roll for the FBM we know, that most of the recipients were nurses, Red Cross people and a lot of women.

The medal was awarded 314 times.

Perhaps we can identify the owner of the Spange sometime in the future.

greetings

eitze

I noticed in Post #38 that Wild Card showed a great little group with a Waldeck Military Verdienst Cross, 2nd Class. The military version did not have the black enameled starburst at the center and had a crowned "GV" on a red background instead of a cross on a white background. The regular VKs and military VKs are easily confused. Here is an example of the 3rd Class Military VK.

http://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6181-1235358777.jpghttp://gmic.co.uk/uploads/monthly_02_2009/post-6181-1235358811.jpg

Beau Newman said:
    Here is an example of the 3rd Class Military VK.

Nice one, I think they're quite rare. :cheers:

And here's one in wear, on an anonymious Bavarian Leutnant or Oberleutnant from LIR Munich in 1898 (sorry, I have no Bavarian rank list):

post-1172-1235385688.jpg

Edited by saschaw

Guest Rick Research

Wretched soft focus bad quality sepia!!!! :banger:

Still, the freakishly unique is no problem for Research Gnomes. :catjava:

Maximilian PECHT

born 1858

SL 24.05.80

PL 01.10.90

Hptm 09.01.95/06.11.94

Maj 04.08.02

OTL 22.12.06

Oberst 07.03.09 retiring by 1913 as commander of bavarian Inf Rgt 13

Generalmajor zD

killed in action 06.11.1916 Levesti, Romania as commander of Bavarian 22. Inf Brig.

world war: BMV2X, WK2bX, (EKs ),

pre-war: BMV-O, BMV3, BMV4a, RAO3, WMVK3, 1905, XXIV, ?EK2, ?FJ2mSt. Had nothing much until the last 4 years of his peacetime career when most of that stuff just fell on him.

Guest Rick Research
    Killed in action as a Generalmajor zD. :speechless1: I don't have numbers, but combat losses of German Generals in the First war were NOTHING like those of the Second!

Killed in action as a Generalmajor zD. :speechless1: I don't have numbers, but combat losses of German Generals in the First war were NOTHING like those of the Second!

Quite right, I heard a figure of something like ten generals KIA in WW1, whereas something like 200 were killed in WW2.

• 3 weeks later...

I can add the first name of a holder of a Silver Merit Medal with X :jumping:

You`ll find him in the new Waldeck Roll on page 92. It is one of the Zimmermann`s :

Karl Hermann Zimmermann - Unteroffizier, Garde Dragoner Regiment 23.

Medal awarded: 14.12.1914.

And here`s the story:

I was able to get No. 14 of the war magazine called "Feinde ringsum!", dated around 1915. This number told the story of the death of Prince Wolrad of Waldeck-Pyrmont.

At the outbreak of WW-1 Prince Wolrad was a Leutnant in the Gro?herzoglich-Hessische Gardedragonerregiment Nr. 23

On the evening of the 17. 10.1914 he was the leader of a cavalry patrol. He was accompanied by his aide Unteroffizier Karl Hermann Zimmermann of the same Regiment. Suddenly the patrol came under fire of advancing English troops.

Several Dragoner fell and the horse of Prince Wolrad was also hit. He together with Zimmermann reached a nearby trench and searched for cover. It was then Prince Wolrad saw one of his wounded man lying in the open. He crawled to him and tried to pull him to safety. Crying for Zimmermann, this crawled forward and was immediately hit - so was the Prince!

Prince Wolrad was killed in action, while Zimmermann was only wounded.

The award of the SVM with X must have been for his part on this sad day for Waldeck.

Here?s the cover of the magazine and the special edition of the Waldecker Regierungs-Blatt announcing the death of Prince Wolrad.

And here you`ll find a picture of Prince Wolrad of Waldeck-Pyrmont.

I have no ideas of uniforms, but I think this could be the one of the Garde Dragoner Regiment 23 ???

greetings

eitze

Guest Rick Research

SUPER news!!!! :jumping: Finding detail like you have discovered on an Unteroffizier is about as likely as winning the lottery-- THANKS!!!!! :cheers:

• 5 weeks later...

Hello,

I was able to get a book about the Hessian and Waldeck "Elementary School Teachers Association", published 1919.

It is called:

"Der Hessische Volksschullehrerverein - seine Entstehung, sein Werden und Wirken w?hrend des letzten Halbjahrhunderts - Ehrenbusch der hessischen und waldeckischen Volksschule".

No, I am not interested in teachers history :lol: , but in the second part of the book.

The "Ehrenbuch" lists all killed teachers of Hessen and Waldeck, who were soldiers during WW-1.

I`ve checked for members of Inf. Regiment 83, the Waldeck unit, and found a lot of them, including some people who got decorations from Waldeck-Pyrmont.

So grab your Roth-Krause-Lundstr?m book about the Orders and Decorations of Waldeck and I can give you some more details of 8 mentioned men. You can also add some first names and units.

Let?s start:

Page 19:

Vesper, Daniel

Born in Nordkirchen/Waldeck.

Joined the InfRgt. 83 and fought at the Somme.

After becoming Leutnat he went to the InfRgt. 91.

Was also awarded the EK ? 2. class.

He was KIA on 23.03.1917 by a grenade.

Page 13 and 24:

G?bel, Karl

Born on 08.04.1895 in Alraft/Waldeck.

Joined with the F-Kolonne 126 and later served with the InfRgt. 167 and 371.

And finally becoming Leutnant d.R. and leader of the 1. Masch.-Gewehr-Kompanie.

Was awarded the GVM (11.12.1916) and after commissoned the Waldeck Verdienst Kreuz 4. class (17.05.1918) and also the EK ? 2. class.

He was KIA on 25.10.1918 near Valenciennes and buried at the military cemetary at Poisin/Belgium.

On page 13 he is the second ?Goebel?

Page 25:

Itter, Cyriakus

Born on 14.02.1887 in Kirchberg.

He joined the Res.Inf.Rgt. 83 and was a VFw and Officer Candidat.

Was also awarded the EK ? 2. class.

He was KIA on 10.12.1914 while attacking the town of Natolin in Russia and buried in the garden of a peasant in the named town.

Page 32:

Beckord, Arnold

Born in Pyrmont/Waldeck.

He joined the Inf.Rgt. 73 and later transferred to the RJ?gBat 23.

Was a Officer candidat.

He was KIA on 08.10.1916 in Siebenb?rgen/Rumania by a shot in the head.

Also awarded the EK ? 2. class.

Page 37:

Bunse, Fritz

Born 15.12.1898 in Helmighausen/Waldeck.

Joined with the 1. Garde Res.Inf.Rgt..

Was KIA on 21.03.1918 near Arras and is buried at St. ?court.

Page 52:

Hetschold, Heinrich

Later becoming a Leutant d.R. and was KIA in the autunm 1917.

Page 54:

Hollenstein, August

Was born in Helmighausen/Waldeck.

Joined with the RIR 235 and was WIA on 26.11.1914 by a shot through the shoulder.

Again seriously wounded on 19.07.1915 by a grenade in the back.

As a result he was paralyzed. Brought back to the hospital in Arolsen/Waldeck, he died there on 01.05.1916 and was buried in that town.

Also awarded the EK.

Page 84:

Stracke, Heinrich

Born 09.02.1895 in Rhadern/Waldeck.

Joined with the RIR 234 and was seriously wounded on 15.04.1915 in Flandern.

Again seriously wounded on 20.07.1918 by a grenade, he died on 25.07.1918 in Feldlazarett No. 15.

On page 84 he is the last ?Stracke, Heinr.?.

Hope you enjoy it.

greetings

eitze

Guest Rick Research

Excellent!!!! :jumping: Such obscure sources are vital to the work of the Research Gnomes!!!! MANY thanks! :cheers:

Here is Hetschold's "Ehrenmal" entry:

My latest - just arrived yesterday :jumping:

Another nice non-com bar. It is my first Landwehr Dienstauszeichnungs-Kreuz. With its golden (?) center it looks quite spectacular!

Hi Eitze

you must have acquired quite a collection of Waldeck ribbon and medalbars. I am sure not only I would be interested in a 1 photo overview (which would have to look really spectacular!!)

regards

David

Hi Eitze

you must have acquired quite a collection of Waldeck ribbon and medalbars. I am sure not only I would be interested in a 1 photo overview (which would have to look really spectacular!!)

regards

David

Hello David,

I`ve shown all my Waldeck stuff in this thread.

A photo overview would be nice, but the problem is, that nearly all bars and better pieces are in my bank safe :blush:

But - perhaps sometimes.

greetings

eitze

Hello David,

I`ve shown all my Waldeck stuff in this thread.

A photo overview would be nice, but the problem is, that nearly all bars and better pieces are in my bank safe :blush:

But - perhaps sometimes.

greetings

eitze

Understandably. if I had such jewels, I would put them in a bank safe as well :-)

regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

Today I can add some new stuff.

Let`s start with two postcards of members of the "F?rstenhaus".

Here we have Prinz Josias of Waldeck-Pyrmont with awarded EK-2.