Gentleman's Military Interest Club
Sign in to follow this  
laurentius

Austrian military merit cross

Dear fellow collectors

I recently bought this piece, an Austrian Military Merit Cross 3rd class by Friedrich Rothe from vienna. I had been looking for a piece like this so when it came along for a rather good price I didn't hesitate for a single moment. Another extra on this piece was the miniature of the 1.st class on the trifold, which looks very nice and detailed. After talking to several austrian WW1 collectors one of them told me this piece could be from the former Fattovich collection from Venice and that it might be featered in Mericka's book "Orden und Ehrenzeichen der Oesterreichisch-Ungarischen Monarchie". I personally do not own this book and I wondered if any of the austrian collectors might have some pictures for me? All help would be greatly appreciated. I will attach a file with the picture of my Austrian MCC.

Kind regards and thanks in advance, Laurentius

20180121_105856.jpg

This is a lovely looking cross, Laurentius. Might we see the reverse, as well, please? Do you know what the purpose of the miniature on the trifold was? If the holder also had the First Class award, would he not only wear that?

I hope that you have success in your for pictures from Mericka's book.

Dear Trooper_D

As soon as I get home I will take some pictures of the back. The purpose of the miniature shows that one has a higher grade of the order without wearing it. For example at the front officers would only wear a few medals, opposed to the vienna ball. If you only wear 2 or 3 medals you have to show people you also received higher grades, which was done with little devices like these. Another reason might be that an officer could get wounded resulting in damage to a medal, if a medal is damaged you can't wear it anymore. A cross 3rd class with a miniature are cheaper to replace than a cross 1st class. Small devices are not limited to this order, or even limited to the Austro-Hungarian empire. Examples of these small miniatures can also be found on the hungarian order of St.Stephen and the order of the Iron Crown. I have also seen examples of german ribbonbars with miniatures of the grandcrosses or of the commanderscrosses. I will attach a few examples for you.

Kind regards, Laurentius

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Order of st. stephen

Afbeeldingsresultaat voor Order of the iron crown

Edited by laurentius

3 hours ago, laurentius said:

As soon as I get home I will take some pictures of the back. The purpose of the miniature shows that one has a higher grade of the order without wearing it. For example at the front officers would only wear a few medals, opposed to the vienna ball. If you only wear 2 or 3 medals you have to show people you also received higher grades, which was done with little devices like these. Another reason might be that an officer could get wounded resulting in damage to a medal, if a medal is damaged you can't wear it anymore. A cross 3rd class with a miniature are cheaper to replace than a cross 1st class. Small devices are not limited to this order, or even limited to the Austro-Hungarian empire. Examples of these small miniatures can also be found on the hungarian order of St.Stephen and the order of the Iron Crown. I have also seen examples of german ribbonbars with miniatures of the grandcrosses or of the commanderscrosses. I will attach a few examples for you.

Thank you for this useful clarification of purpose behind this practice, Laurentius.